The need of stopping Windows 10 automatic updates
Microsoft routinely releases updates to solve specific problems with Windows, provide protection from malicious attacks, or even add new features to the operating system. In general, Windows 10 automatically downloads and installs updates to make sure your device is secure and up to date. Auto update is typically a good thing.
However, some users are confronted with problems after Windows 10 updates. One of the recent issues is that all contents under Documents directory are missing after 1809 update. People endeavor to recover lost files in Windows 10 after the auto update. Other issues like broken file associations, mouse and keyboard not working after Windows 10 updates are also reported.
To avoid the possible issues, there are users who would like to stay with their current stable operating system. They refuse to update Windows 10 even just because they are used to everything they are using now. For this group of people, what they need is Windows 10 update disable tool to stop Windows automatic updates.
Backup system before disabling auto update via Registry
Registry is an effective Windows 10 update disable tool. You can use it to make Windows work the way you want, but you can also seriously mess things up by mistake. Therefore, it’s important to backup system before disabling Windows 10 update via Registry.
Here I’d like to recommend the best free backup software—AOMEI Backupper Standard to you. It offers you more flexible options than the built-in Windows backup tool. There are four types of backup available: System/Disk/Partition/Files Backup, which can meet your different needs. You are also allowed to do block level incremental backup to improve the backup efficiency.
It supports all Windows PC operating systems like Windows 10/8.1/8/7/Vista/XP. You can create system backup with just a few clicks. Download this freeware and follow the intuitive wizard to backup your system.
How to disable Windows 10 update via Registry easily?
After you have created system backup, you can learn how to disable Windows 10 update permanently via Registry as follows. There are two solutions you can choose from.
Solution 1: turn off automatic updates with Registry
If you turn off automatic updates with Registry, Windows will never check for updates. Follow the instructions below:
1. Press Windows Key + R to open the Run dialogue. Type regedit and press Enter or click “OK” to open the Registry Editor.
2. Expand the entries on the left-hand pane to navigate to the following path:
3. Right click the Windows (folder) key, select New, and click on Key. Name the new key WindowsUpdate (no space between Windows and Update).
4. Right click the WindowsUpdate key, select New and then Key. Set the new key’s name as AU.
5. Click on the AU key, and right click on the empty space at the right-hand pane. Select New, and click on DWORD (32-bit) Value. Name the new DWORD NoAutoUpdate.
6. Double click on NoAutoUpdate and set its value data as 1. Click “OK” to apply the change.
7. Close Registry Editor and restart your computer.
Solution 2: configure automatic updates using Registry
If you don’t want to completely turn off automatic updates but want to control how the updates are installed, then learn how to stop Windows 10 auto update using below directions:
1. Create WindowsUpdate and AU keys as in Solution 1.
2. Click on the AU key, and right click on the empty space at the right-hand pane. Select New, and click on DWORD (32-bit) Value. Name the new DWORD AUOptions.
3. Double click on AUOptions and set its value data as 2. Click “OK” to apply the change.
4. Close Registry Editor and restart your computer.
You can disable Windows 10 update via Registry with two solutions mentioned above. To prepare for the case that something goes wrong, you should backup system via AOMEI Backupper before editing Registry. AOMEI Backupper owns many other practical features as well, such as moving user profile to another drive in Windows 10, performing real time sync for folders in Windows 10. Get this tool right now to discover more!