How to Disable Windows 10 Auto Update via Registry Easily
Generally, Windows 10 updates automatically to make your computer secure and up to date. However, it may bring problems sometimes. If you want to disable it, learn how to stop Windows 10 auto update via Registry from this page.
Need to stop Windows 10 automatic updates
Microsoft regularly releases updates to address specific issues with Windows, provide protection against malicious attacks, and even add new features to the operating system. In this year will launch Windows 10 22H2 update, there are no significant differences between Windows 10 21H2 and Windows 10 22H2. In general, Windows 10 automatically downloads and installs updates to make sure your device is secure and up to date. Auto update is typically a good thing.
However, some users are confronted with problems after Windows 10 updates, such as:
- Windows 10 version 1809 update causes file missing in the Documents directory. People endeavor to recover lost files in Windows 10 after the auto update.
- After installing KB5021233, some Windows devices start up to an error (0xc000021a) with a blue screen.
- Other issues like broken file associations, mouse and keyboard not working after Windows 10 updates are also reported.
To avoid possible issues, there are users who would like to stay with their current stable operating system. They refuse to update Windows 10 even just because they are used to everything they are using now. For this group of people, what they need is Windows 10 update disable tool to stop Windows automatic updates.
Important: backup before disabling Windows update via Regedit
Registry is an effective Windows 10 update disable tool. You can use it to make Windows work the way you want, but you can also seriously mess things up by mistake. Therefore, it’s important to backup the system before major operations, such as disabling Windows 10 update via Registry.
Also, as mentioned before, many users will have a lot of problems updating to Windows 10 21H2. The same is true for the 22H2 update. We cannot predict what the consequences will be after the update. In order to protect your system and data, it is strongly recommended that you perform a system backup or important file backup before the update!
Here I’d like to recommend the best free backup software - AOMEI Backupper Standard to you.
Download this freeware and follow the intuitive wizard to backup your system immediately.
2 solutions to disable Windows 10 update via Registry
After you have created system backup, you can learn how to disable Windows 10 update permanently via Registry as follows. There are two solutions you can choose from.
Solution 1: turn off automatic updates with Registry
If you turn off automatic updates with Registry, Windows will never check for updates. Follow the instructions below:
1. Press Windows Key + R to open the Run dialogue. Type regedit and press Enter or click “OK” to open the Registry Editor.
2. Expand the entries on the left-hand pane to navigate to the following path:
3. Right click the Windows (folder) key, select New, and click on Key. Name the new key WindowsUpdate (no space between Windows and Update).
4. Right click the WindowsUpdate key, select New and then Key. Set the new key’s name as AU.
5. Click on the AU key, and right click on the empty space at the right-hand pane. Select New, and click on DWORD (32-bit) Value. Name the new DWORD NoAutoUpdate.
6. Double click on NoAutoUpdate and set its value data as 1. Click “OK” to apply the change.
7. Close Registry Editor and restart your computer.
Solution 2: configure automatic updates using Registry
If you don’t want to completely turn off automatic updates but want to control how the updates are installed, then learn how to stop Windows 10 auto update using below directions:
1. Create WindowsUpdate and AU keys as in Solution 1.
2. Click on the AU key, and right click on the empty space at the right-hand pane. Select New, and click on DWORD (32-bit) Value. Name the new DWORD AUOptions.
3. Double click on AUOptions and set its value data as 2. Click “OK” to apply the change.
4. Close Registry Editor and restart your computer.
That’s all about how to disable Windows 10 update permanently via Registry. To get prepared for possible errors, you should backup system via AOMEI Backupper before editing Registry. AOMEI Backupper owns many other practical features as well, such as sync local folders with Synology NAS and run DoD hard drive wipe.
If you are looking for portable backup software that can help you create backups on any computer, pick AOMEI Backupper Technician or Technician Plus edition. Get this tool right now to discover more!