Case: Windows 10 network sharing not working
The complaint of Windows 10 file sharing not working began to spread across the social media recently. Although Windows file sharing is praised by lots of people because of its convenience and safety before, some users have reported Windows 10 file sharing not working after update 1803/1809/1903. Some users said it cannot recognize other computers when they shared files or folders. Other users said that a permission pop-up window told them they didn’t have permissions to access files or folders.
Common ways to fix file sharing not working in Windows 10
The issue of network sharing not working in Windows 10 brings great inconvenience to users. But don’t worry, the following are some workable ways to fix the network sharing problem in Windows 10.
Solution 1. Restart your computer
If you have not tried restarting your computer, you can do it right away.
Solution 2. Enable file and network sharing
The Windows 10 file sharing not working problem can occur when you have not set it properly. Just perform the following steps to make sure file sharing works as it is supposed to be.
1. Go to Start > Control Panel > Network and Sharing Center > Change advanced sharing settings.
2. Select Turn on network discovery to enable network discovery. Select Turn on file and printer sharing to enable file sharing.
3. Click Save changes to confirm.
Don’t forget to have a check to make sure Windows Firewall is not blocking file and printer sharing.
1. Go to Start > Control Panel > Windows Defender Firewall.
2. Select Allow an app or feature through Windows Defender Firewall.
3. Make sure you have selected File and Printer Sharing in the apps and featurs list. Finally, click OK.
Solution 3. Turn password protection off and on
You can try to disable the password protection feature to fix the Windows 10 network sharing not working problem.
Go to Start > Control Panel > Network and Sharing Center > Change advanced sharing settings. Scroll down to find the “Password protected sharing” option, and click Turn off password protected sharing. Click Save changes to confirm.
Solution 4. Check for the Computer Browser service
Go to have a check whether the Computer Browser service is running.
1. Go to Start and type services.msc in Start Search.
2. Find the Computer Browser. Right-click it and select Properties. Check if it is started.
3. If it is stopped select Start or Restart. And make sure that the service is started and set as Automatic.
4. If you make any change, click Apply and OK.
Some other common methods you can also have a try to fix the Windows 10 network sharing not working issue:
Check the availability of the needed network service. It might be mistakenly disabled for the sake of security.
Stop using some third-party firewalls. Some firewalls might have a bad effect on Windows 10 file sharing.
Write net user guest /active:yes from an admin Command Prompt on the host machine. When the guest account on the host cannot access the network, you can try this way.
Create a username/password that matches the username/password from guest machine.
Disable the computer’s anti-virus program and check if the issue persists. If it fixes the network sharing problem, you can check for any updates and the firewall settings within the security software.
Sharing files with the best alternative – free and easy
The network sharing problem in Windows 10 can be solved efficiently by the methods mentioned above. Although these Windows 10 file sharing issues can be fixed, some related problems are followed. You need to verify theses ways one by one.
In the meantime, it is hard for some non-technical users to take these methods. Is there a free and easy alternative? To share files easily, free file sync software - AOMEI Backupper Standard comes to help.
It allows you to sync folders to network via different storage devices, from your computer, external hard drive or USB flash drive.
It enables you to set an automatic sync task, and then it will sync the files daily/weekly/monthly. Thus you won’t worry about forgetting to backup important data someday.
It supports various operating systems like Windows 11, 10, 8.1/8, 7, Vista and XP.
The network sharing problem in Windows 10 also can be solved efficiently by this software. Keep reading to get the detailed steps to share files between computers over the network using AOMEI Backupper.
Detailed steps of sharing files over a network
Before sharing, please check the integrity of your files.
1. Download, install and run this software. Click Sync from the left list. Then select Basic Sync.
2. The Task Name can be modified according to your needs. Click Add Folder to choose the folder which contains the files you want to sync.
3. Select a destination path.
4. Go Share/NAS > Add Network Location to input the network path.
5. After the network location is added, all shared folders under it will be listed. Choose one folder as the destination path and click OK.
6. If all things are right, you can click Start Sync. Then the software will share your files over a network.
If you want to distinguish this sync task from others easily, you can click Options in Step 6 to write a comment for the task. You also can enable email notification to get informed of the operation results through emails.
The feature of Schedule can help you sync your files automatically. Five modes are available for this software: Daily, Weekly, Monthly, Event triggers, USB plug in. The last two options are supported by the advanced version - AOMEI Backupper Professional.
If you set the sync task to run daily/weekly/monthly, the program will automatically install a service to run scheduled task and run missed sync at the next system startup, so you won’t worry that the newly added files or folders cannot be synced.
Do not change the folder name of your source. Otherwise AOMEI Backupper cannot sync it anymore.
That’s all for how to fix Windows 10 file sharing not working problem. Hope one of the methods can help you fix the problem. To avoid any network sharing problem in the future, you can have a try on AOMEI Backupper which can help you sync two folders on same computer, auto sync files to external hard drive, sync folder to a network drive.
By the way, other features like cloning files to an external hard drive, backing up files, restoring files from backup image are also available for this software. If you want to prevent your files from being lost, you can take advantage of theses practical functions. Just give it a try by yourself now!