How to Transfer Files from an Old PC to a New PC?
The above situation would be a little awkward while transferring from Windows 7 to Windows 10 via Windows Easy Transfer. What should do you do? It's necessary to find other file transfer software for PC to PC transfer.
Any Free File Transfer Software for Windows PCs?
As a matter of fact, in addition to Windows Easy Transfer, there are multiple file transfer software for PC to migrate data from an old computer to a new computer.
And the following words will explain details for you to transfer files and folders easily.
Best Free File Transfer Software - AOMEI Backupper
In order to make the file transfer easier, it’s highly recommended to use the free file transfer software for PC - AOMEI Backupper Standard, which is a professional yet free file synchronization software for Windows 10, 8.1, 8, 7, Vista, XP, including 32-bit and 64-bit.
This freeware is capable of syncing files to local disk, external hard drive(HDD&SSD), USB flash drive, network share or NAS, even the cloud drives, like Google Drive, OneDrive, Dropbox, Box, Sugarsync, Cloudme, etc.
Assuming that you would like to transfer files and programs from Windows 7 to Windows 10. Before syncing, please:
Ensure the two PCs are stay in the same LAN or WIFI.
Create a network share folder on your destination computer (Windows 10).
And then follow the steps listed below to transfer files from PC to PC for free:
1. Free download file transfer software for PC to PC - AOMEI Backupper Standard. And run the program after the installation in Windows 7 PC.
2. Select Sync tab in the home interface, and choose Basic Sync.
3. Press + Add Folder to choose which files on Windows 7 will be transferred. Change Task Name to differ from other tasks if need be.
4. Select the inverted triangle icon > Select a network location > Add Network Location > input the Display Name and Network Path (Windows 10 IP address), click OK and choose the Windows 10 network share folder as the destination to save files from Windows 7.
5. Click Start Sync to transfer files to new computer (Windows 10) with the best file transfer software for PC.
After a while, these files will be transferred from Windows 7 to Windows 10 with a success. It’s kind of easy.
If you prefer to sync files immediately to the destination after the files or folders changed on the source path with Real-Time Sync, make all files or folders stay up to date. Please upgrade to AOMEI Backupper Professional to enjoy it.
Transfer Files with Cloud Drive
Besides, you could try cloud drive to transfer your files, like OneDrive, Dropbox, Google Drive, Box, etc. Since Microsoft recommended you to use OneDrive to transfer data, so we will show you the details how to transfer files from one PC to another PC with OneDrive. OneDrive has only 5GB free storage space, please ensure OneDrive can hold all the data from your previous version of Windows, please upgrade to Microsoft 365 (1TB OneDrive storage) or other plans to get more storage.
Please install OneDrive and sign in your account and then transfer files to new computer in Windows 10 with the step-by-step guide.
1. Click the OneDrive icon from the system tray, and choose Help & Settings > Settings.
2. At the Back up tab, please click Manage back up button.
3. Choose the folder that you would like to backup, click Start back up button to transfer files to OneDrive.
Please note that Important PC Folders in OneDrive can only backup files in Desktop, Documents, and Pictures folders to OneDrive.
If there are other important folders that you would like to backup, please drag and drop to the OneDrive folder on your computer, and it will automatically synced to OneDrive. Then sign in the same OneDrive account in your new PC, and all files and folder will be sync to your new computer.
File Transfer Software for Windows 10/8/7 - PCmover Express
PCmover Express is a free PC to PC file transfer software for Windows 10, 8.1, 8, 7, Vista, XP, and transfer files, data, settings, user profiles from an old PC to a new PC.
Before transferring, please:
Install and run PCmover Express on both PCs.
Close all running programs.
Disable Power saving options, and scheduled Windows tasks.
1. Run PCmover Express on the old computer, and click TRANSFER BETWEEN PCs on the main window.
2. Before hit Next, set up the PCmover Express on the new computer like the below steps:
Run PCmover Express on the new computer and click TRANSFER BETWEEN PCs on the main window,
Input your email address, serial number, and user name, and hit Next.
Hit Next in next window.
And it will find other PCs that stay the same LAN.
3. After the two PCs connected, click ANALYZE PC on the new computer.
4. Click Choose What to Transfer besides the Next button.
5. Choose one of the three ways to transfer: STANDARD (RECOMMENDED), FILES ONLY TRANSFER or LET ME CHOOSE, and hit Next. (choose the first option here)
6. Press Start TRANSFER to transfer files from an old computer to a new computer.
If you have the Laplink USB or Ethernet cable, please plug in your computers to transfer files without internet.
Transfer Files to Windows 10 with Windows Easy Transfer (Proven but Limited)
Fortunately, there is a proven solution that we found, see details below:
According to Microsoft, Windows Easy Transfer is a file transfer software to move user accounts, email, documents, music, videos, pictures, programs, internet favorites and more from an old version of Windows to a new version of Windows. The supported OS includes Windows XP, Vista, and 7, which means you could only migrate files and programs from:
Windows XP to Windows 7.
Windows Vista to Windows 7.
Although Microsoft claimed that Windows Easy Transfer is not included in Windows 10, you could try the proven solution provided in this Windows Easy Transfer alternative essay to transfer files from Windows 7 to Windows 10.
And It’s the PC to PC file transfer software without internet, because it allows you to transfer files using an easy transfer cable.
Summing It Up
There are multiple file transfer software for PC: Windows Easy transfer, AOMEI Backupper Standard, Clouds(like OneDrive, and more), and PCmover Express to transfer files from an old PC to a new PC, find the suitable way to migrate everything you want.
It’s worthy to mention that more sync features provided in AOMEI Backupper Professional, like two way sync, mirror sync to automatically protect your digital data, backup and restore files to move data. Besides, it not only a file sync software but also a hard drive cloning software, which allows you to clone HDD to SSD to speed up your computer, clone OS to SSD without reinstalling, restore to dissimilar hardware computer, etc.
For who is running Windows Server 2003, 2008, 2012, 2016, 2019 (including R2) and SBS 2003, 2008, 2011, please try AOMEI Backupper Server to enjoy more.