Benefits of transferring files from PC to PC with an Ethernet cable
When you get a new computer, you will need to transfer files between computers. If there is a small number of files to be transferred, USB flash drives can be a good choice to help you with data transfer. But if there is a large number of files to be moved, using Ethernet cable may be more efficient.
Compared with USB flash drives, an Ethernet cable has following advantages:
More suitable for transferring plenty of files. There’s no capacity limit if you transfer data with an Ethernet cable.
Faster transfer speed. The physical connection between computers via Ethernet cable makes data transfer faster.
Avoid repetitive work of plugging and removing USB flash drives. Moreover, you won’t be worried about the connection problem and spend extra time repairing pen drive not detected on the computer.
Please read on and learn how to transfer data from PC to PC using an Ethernet cable in Windows 10/8/7. Or you can turn to a free file sync software to transfer massive files more simply and flexibly.
Procedure on how to transfer files from PC to PC via an Ethernet cable
Before you start, you should prepare a LAN cable (CAT5 will work fine). Learn how to share files between two computers using LAN cable in detail below:
1. Connect both computers to a LAN cable.
2. Turn on the sharing options on both computers. Search for Control Panel and open it. Go to Network and Internet > Network and Sharing Center > Change Advanced sharing settings. Then perform the following settings for both computers and "Save changes".
“Turn on network discovery”
“Turn on file and printer sharing”
“Turn on sharing so anyone with network access can read and write files in the Public folders”
“Turn off password protected sharing”
✐ Tips: Turn off password protection will bring a significant security risk. You must select “Turn on password protected sharing” once you’ve done transferring files via an Ethernet cable.
3. Share a folder on the source computer.
3.1. Select the folder you want to share and right click on it. Choose “Share with” and then select “Specific people”.
3.2. In the File Sharing window, select “Everyone” from the drop-down menu, click on the “Add” button next to it and then click on the “Share” button.
3.3. When you see “Your folder is shared”, click “Done”.
4. Access the shared folder on the destination computer.
4.1. Press Win + E to open File Explorer and click "Network" on the left-hand panel.
4.2. Find the source computer and double click it. Enter the source computer’s password if prompted.
4.3. You will see the folder you just shared. Copy the shared folder to anywhere else based on your needs.
As you see, you can only share one folder once. It will be time-consuming if you have dozens of files from different folders to transfer. Is there an easier way to transfer files between computers on same network?
Advanced way to transfer files between computers on same network
As long as the two computers are on the same wireless or wired network, you can transfer files from PC to PC even without an Ethernet cable. AOMEI Backupper Standard, the best free PC to PC file sync software can complete the task easily. It offers you:
Wanna try it out? Just download the freeware right now!
▶ Fastest way to transfer files between computers on same network:
1. Launch AOMEI Backupper on the source computer. Click “Sync" and select "Basic Sync".
2. Name the task so that you can distinguish it from other sync tasks. Click “Add Folder” to select the folder(s) which you want to transfer.
✐ Tips: If you want to exclude certain file types from selected folders, please use “Filter settings” (available in Professional edition).
3. Click the bar under "Add Folder" and in the pop-up window, choose "Share/NAS".
4. In the Select Share/NAS Device window, click “Add Share or NAS Devices”. Then, type the IP address of the source computer and click “OK”. Type username and password if it prompts.
5. After the IP address has been added, all network-shared folders on the computer will be listed. Choose one folder to store the folder(s) you plan to transfer and click “OK”.
6. Click on “Start Sync” button to perform the operation.
>>Options: you can write a comment for your sync task so that you can figure out the specific sync contents. You can also enable email notification here.
>>Schedule: you can set the sync task to run periodically. There are five modes supported: Daily, Weekly, Monthly, Event triggers, and USB plug in. The last two modes are supported in paid version.
7. After the sync process is finished, access the shared folder(s) on the destination computer as mentioned above.
To transfer files from PC to PC with an Ethernet cable, you can follow the guidance provided in this article. To transfer several folders simultaneously between computers, you may choose AOMEI Backupper. Apart from the File Sync feature, you can also use it to clone dynamic disk in Windows 10 and backup WD My Cloud to Google drive. Try it by yourself to discover more!