How to Transfer SIM Card to New iPhone 15/14/13/12 (eSIM)
This guide will show you how to transfer SIM card to new iPhone 14/13/12, including the method to transfer SIM card to new iPhone eSIM.
- Want to transfer SIM card to new iPhone?
- How to transfer SIM card to new iPhone
- How to transfer eSIM contacts to new iPhone
- An easy way to transfer contacts to new iPhone
- FAQs about transferring SIM card to new iPhone
- Final words
Want to transfer SIM card to new iPhone?
When upgrading to a new iPhone, we can use Quick Start to help us transfer data from old iPhone to new iPhone. But in addition to transferring data, we also need to transfer the SIM card. The SIM card is not only the key to getting network connectivity on your device, but it also stores all the contacts. Only after the SIM card is transferred, we can use the iPhone normally.
If you do not know how to transfer SIM card to new iPhone, you can find the method in this guide. I will also tell you the method to transfer SIM card to new iPhone 15 using eSIM. Let’s get it on.
How to transfer SIM card to new iPhone
Usually, if you want to transfer SIM card from old iPhone to new iPhone, you can simply insert your SIM card to new iPhone and that’s it. However, you may not be able to find room for your SIM card in the new iPhone 14. iPhone 14 model in the United States needs to provision the line using an eSIM.
If you want to transfer SIM card to new iPhone 15/14/13/12/11 with SIM card tray, then you can go to Tip 1 to find the solution. If you need to transfer SIM card to new iPhone eSIM, then please go to Tip 2 instead.
Tip 1. How to transfer SIM card to new iPhone 15/14/13/12/11
You can remove your SIM card from old iPhone and insert it into your new iPhone to complete the transfer. Below are the steps to transfer SIM card to new iPhone.
● You can find the SIM tray on the left side on iPhone 15/14/13/12 models. For previous models, the SIM tray is on the left side.
● You can find the SIM ejector tool in your iPhone’s package or you can use a paper clip instead.
1. Take the SIM card out of old iPhone: insert the SIM-eject tool or a paper clip into the hole beside the tray > push in but don’t force it > pull the tray out carefully > remove your SIM card from the tray > insert the tray into the device.
There are three different sizes for a SIM card - standard, micro, and nano. Make sure the SIM card will fit into the slot of your new iPhone. You can use the SIM card cutting tool to get the correct size.
2. Insert the SIM card into your new iPhone: eject the SIM tray > place the SIM card into the tray - due to the notch in one corner of the SIM card, it will only fit one way > insert the tray into the device. It will be automatically detected and then the network will be displayed on the top.
Tip 2. How to transfer SIM card to new iPhone eSIM
If you purchased an iPhone 15/14 in the United States, you will find there is no SIM tray on the side. This means you can't insert your SIM card into the new iPhone 15/14 to complete the transfer. In this case, how to transfer SIM card to new iPhone eSIM? Below are the detailed steps.
Transfer SIM card to new iPhone eSIM during setup
During the setup process, you will be asked to transfer your SIM, just follow the onscreen instructions to transfer your physical SIM card.
1. Set up new iPhone until you see the Set Up eSIM screen.
2. Tap Transfer from Another iPhone to continue.
3. You will see a pop-up message on your old iPhone, just tap Transfer SIM.
4. Enter the code shown on your new iPhone on your old iPhone.
5. Double-click the side button on your old iPhone to confirm the transfer.
6. Wait for the activation. When it’s done, tap Continue and then complete the iPhone setup process.
Transfer SIM card to new iPhone eSIM after setup
1. On your new iPhone, go to Settings > Cellular > Add Cellular Plan.
2. Choose a cellular plan to transfer from another device.
3. On your old iPhone, tap Transfer to confirm.
4. Wait for the cellular plan to activate on your new iPhone.
5. When you say Finish Setting Up Your Carrier's Cellular Plan on your new iPhone, tap it.
6. You will be directed to your carrier's webpage to transfer your eSIM.
How to transfer eSIM contacts to new iPhone
A SIM can store hundreds of contacts. After you put the SIM card into the new iPhone, you can import the contacts to your device.
Go to Settings > Tap Contacts > Choose Import SIM Contacts to make it.
Apple does not allow you to save iPhone contacts to SIM card. That’s to say, you cannot save contacts to SIM card on old iPhone and then insert SIM card into new iPhone to transfer contacts. If your contacts are not saved on the SIM card, you can go to the next part to get another contacts transfer method.
An easy way to transfer contacts to new iPhone
If you are not able to transfer contacts to new iPhone via SIM card, then you can try FoolTool for iOS, one easy-to-use iPhone data transfer tool. It can help you transfer selected or all contacts at once. What’s more, it supports data transfer between different Apple IDs, which means you can transfer contacts from iPhone to iPhone with different Apple ID.
The great thing is that the transfer does not require a Wi-Fi connection nor does it consume cellular data. You can go to App Store to download FoneTool on both iPhones and start the transfer.
1. Open FoneTool on both iPhones.
2. Go to Connect Device and tap the avatar on either iPhone to establish a connection.
3. Go to File Transfer on old iPhone > Choose the contacts you want to transfer > Tap Send to start.
You can check the progress in Transfer List. When it’s done, you can go to Contacts app to check your contacts.
FoneTool also has one desktop app for Windows users. You can let it help you transfer contacts, music, photos, videos, etc. between iPhone and computer, you can click the download button to get it.
The iPhone to iPhone Transfer of FoneTool can help you transfer everything to new iPhone. If your network is poor, you can try FoneTool to help you transfer data via the USB cable.
FAQs about transferring SIM card to new iPhone
Q: Can I put SIM card into new iPhone?
As long as your new iPhone has a SIM card tray and is compatible with the SIM card, then you can put the SIM card into the new iPhone.
Q: Can I just transfer SIM card to new iPhone?
Yes, you can. If you do not need the data on your old iPhone, you can just transfer SIM card to new iPhone so you can get network connection.
Q: Should I put my SIM card in new iPhone before transferring data?
You can move the SIM card before or after you start the transfer. If you want to transfer data and SIM card to new iPhone, you can do it before.
Q: What happens if I put my old SIM card in my new phone?
Nothing special will happen. After putting in the SIM card, you can use mobile data or transfer the contacts on it to your new iPhone.
That’s all about how to transfer SIM card to new iPhone 15/14/13/12/11. Normally, you can insert the SIM card to new iPhone to make it. If your new iPhone does not have a SIM tray, you can transfer SIM card to new iPhone eSIM during or after setup. In short, you can transfer SIM card to new iPhone at any time.