Want to transfer eSIM to new iPhone 14?
Usually, when updating to a new iPhone, we need to take the SIM card out of the old iPhone and then insert it into the new iPhone to activate the device. But with the eSIM, you can avoid this troublesome operation. eSIM, an industry-standard digital SIM, allows you to activate a mobile data plan without having to use a physical SIM card. When you upgrade to a new iPhone, you can easily transfer eSIM from old iPhone to new iPhone.
There are 3 ways to help you transfer eSIM to new iPhone
iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max, iPhone XR and later series supports both SIM card and eSIM. The newest iPhone 14 in the United States support only eSIM while models sold in other countries will have support for both SIM card and eSIM. There are 3 ways that can help you transfer eSIM to new iPhone.
- Transfer eSIM to new iPhone via eSIM Quick Transfer
- Transfer eSIM to new iPhone via Settings after setup
- Transfer eSIM to new iPhone via Bluetooth in iOS 16
- In theory, the iPhone 14 should come ready to go through the eSIM Carrier Activation process. All you have to do is follow the prompts to activate your phone number during the setup process. If you accidentally skipped that step, after setting up your iPhone, you can go to settings > Cellular > Set up Cellular to transfer eSIM and phone number to new iPhone 14.
- If you purchased your iPhone 14 directly from your carrier, it may already have the new eSIM ready to use. If that's the case for you, you can access a Wi-Fi network so that your iPhone can contact your carrier's activation server to automatically configure your eSIM.
- If you do not have access to your current iPhone, just contact your network provider to transfer your eSIM to new iPhone.
The new iPhone 14 can be activated without a Wi-Fi network while other models need to be connected to a Wi-Fi network. Let’s start to see how to transfer eSIM to new iPhone.
Way 1. How to transfer eSIM to new iPhone 14 via eSIM Quick Transfer
Some carriers like AT&T, T-Mobile, Verizon, C Spire, U.S. Cellular allow users to transfer eSIM to new iPhone directly. During the iPhone setup process, a message will appear and ask you to transfer your cellular service plan. In this case, you can follow the on-screen prompts to transfer eSIM from old iPhone to new iPhone in seconds.
How to transfer eSIM from one iPhone to another during setup
1. Place two iPhones near each other.
2. Set up new iPhone until you access the Set Up eSIM screen > Tap Transfer from another iPhone.
It only allows you to transfer a single line during the initial setup. If you have more than one line, you can transfer other lines later from the Settings app.
3. Tap Transfer from Another iPhone to continue.
4. A pop-up message will appear on your current iPhone, just tap Transfer SIM. Your new iPhone will show you a six-digit verification code and you should enter that code on your current iPhone.
5. Double-click the side button on your current iPhone to confirm the transfer.
6. Wait for the activation. When it’s done, tap Continue on your new iPhone 14 and then complete the iPhone setup process.
Way 2. How to transfer eSIM to new iPhone 14 after setup
If you didn’t transfer your eSIM during the setup process, don’t worry, you can go to Settings app to transfer eSIM from old iPhone to new iPhone. Below are the detailed steps.
1. On your new iPhone, go to Settings > Cellular > Add Cellular Plan. ( Or you may go to Settings > Mobile Data > Add eSIM. )
2. When you see your eSIM plan, just tap Add Cellular Plan at the bottom of the screen.
3. Check the messages appearing on your current iPhone and tap Transfer to confirm.
4. When you see Finish Setting Up Your Carrier’s Cellular Plan on your new iPhone, tap Continue.
5. You will then be directed to your carrier's webpage to complete the eSIM transfer.
Way 3. How to transfer eSIM to new iPhone 14 in iOS 16
If your current iPhone has updated to new iOS 16, you can transfer eSIM from old iPhone to new iPhone via Bluetooth while setting up cellular service. However, not all carriers support this feature.
1. Go to Settings > Cellular and tap Set Up Cellular.
2. When prompted, tap the Transfer from Another iPhone option.
3. On the next screen, you will a message telling you the conditions that need to be met to transfer a phone number from another iPhone, other iPhone is passcode protected, nearby, unlocked, has Bluetooth turned on, and is running iOS 16 or later.
4. After checking that message, follow the on-screen instructions to transfer eSIM to new iPhone.
Want to do after transferring eSIM to new iPhone
you have known how to transfer eSIM from one iPhone to another new iPhone. After transferring, you can make a phone call to see if it works and delete the cellular plan from your current iPhone.
How to remove eSIM cellular plan: Go to Settings > Cellular > eSIM Service and tap Remove Cellular Plan. Or you can go to Settings > General > Transfer or Reset iPhone > Erase All Content And Settings to delete everything including your eSIM.
Once your eSIM phone plan is activated on your new iPhone, iOS will automatically deactivate it on your old iPhone.
Lost contacts after transferring eSIM to new iPhone?
If you find that your contacts are not transferred to the new iPhone or you lost some contacts, don't worry, you can use FoneTool for iOS to help you transfer contacts to new iPhone. Maybe your contacts are stored on the old phone, so they are not transferred to the new phone with eSIM.
You can go to App Store to get FoneTool and let it help you transfer contacts from old iPhone to new iPhone wirelessly. The tool can help you transfer all or selected contacts in one click. Besides contacts, it also can help you transfer photos, videos, music and any other items saved in Files app. Refer to this How to transfer data from iPhone to iPhone without WiFi guide to learn more.
In addition, FoneTool has one desktop app for Windows users, which supports data transfer between iPhone and another, iPhone and computer. If you want to transfer music from computer to iPhone 14 or export iPhone photos to computer, you can click the download button below to get FoneTool and give it a try.
The iPhone to iPhone transfer of FoneTool can help you transfer data from old iPhone to new iPhone in one click.
That’s all about how to transfer eSIM to new iPhone 14/13/12.
- When you are setting up your new iPhone, if a message appears asking you to transfer your phone service plan, you can follow the on-screen prompts to complete the transfer.
- If you don't see such a message or skip that step, you can go to Settings app to make the transfer after iPhone setup.
- In addition, if both iPhones have upgraded to iOS 16 or later versions, then eSIM transfer can be done via Bluetooth.
FoneTool Runs Perfectly on
- iOS 16/15/14/13/12/11 and former
- iPadOS 16/15/14/13/12/11 and former
- iPhone 14/14 Pro (Max), 13/13 mini/Pro (Max), iPhone 12/12 mini/Pro (Max), iPhone 11/11 Pro (Max)
- iPhone X/XR/XS/XS Max, iPhone 8/8 Plus, iPhone 7/7 Plus, iPhone 6/6s/6s Plus
- iPhone SE (1st, 2nd, 3rd generations)
- iPod touch 1/2/3/4/5/6/7
- All models of iPad Air, iPad mini, iPad Pro and iPad