Want to Transfer Old iPad to New iPad without iCloud?
New iPad always bring many more features than older iPads. So you bought yourself a brand new iPad, perhaps the latest released 11-inch/12.9-inch iPad Pro, as a replacement for the old one. Now it’s time to transfer old iPad to new iPad and let your new iPad work the way you like.
Fortunately, there is more than one way to transfer from old iPad to new iPad. Some methods allow you to transfer all content & settings at once, and some methods allow you to transfer certain types of data, such as music, photos, videos. You can choose the right way to follow according to your situation.
Way 1 lets you transfer from old iPad to new iPad during the setup
Way 2 is able to transfer data from old iPad to new iPad during or after setup
Way 3 tells you how to transfer old iPad to new iPad with iCloud
Way 4 shows you how to transfer old iPad to new iPad using iTunes
Way 1. Transfer Old iPad to New iPad via Quick Start
Since iOS 11, there’s one utility called Quick Start that is able to help users set up new device using the information from the old device. You can choose to restore from iCloud backup to transfer all contents and settings.
Moreover, for devices running on iOS 12.4 and later, it even lets you transfer data from old iPad to new iPad directly - no need to backup old device in advance.
We have written an article on how to use Quick Start in this How to Set up New iPhone from Old iPhone guide. You can go to this guide to get the detailed steps.
Way 2. Transfer Old iPad to New iPad During or After Setup
Due to some reasons, you did not transfer data from old iPad to new iPad during the setup process. Now you have been using your iPad for a while but find that you do need some data stored on your old device. So how to transfer from old iPad to new iPad after setup?
There are two ways:
Erase your new iPad to restart the setup process - all content and settings will be erased.
Let third-party transfer tool transfer needed files - no need to reset your iPad & no data loss.
→ If you don’t mind losing all existing data on your new iPad, you can go to Settings > General > Transfer or Reset iPhone > Erase All Content and Settings to erase your device and restart the setup process. Then choose to transfer from old iPad, or restore from iCloud/iTunes backup.
You can preview and select the data you need to transfer - all data, a certain type of data, some photos or songs, a text message, as you like.
How to Transfer Data from Old iPad to New iPad After Setup
1. Download and install FoneTool.
2. Launch FoneTool > Connect your old iPad to computer via USB cable.
3. Click Phone Transfer > Move the mouse to iPhone to PC and click Start Transfer.
4. Choose the data you need and here we select photos.
5. Click Start Transfer > Choose the storage path > Click Transfer to save photos to computer.
6. Unplug the source iPad and connect the new iPad to computer > Go to PC to iPhone > Choose the data you exported before.
7. Finally, click Start Transfer to transfer data to new iPad.
Transfer Old iPad to New iPad in One Click
The iPhone to iPhone transfer can help you transfer everything from old iPad to new iPad.
1. Launch FoneTool > Connect old iPad and new iPad to computer.
2. Click Phone Transfer > Go to iPhone to iPhone and click Start Transfer.
3. Confirm the source iPad and the target iPad > Enable backup encryption > Click Start Transfer.
Note: If you want to give your old iPad to someone, you can wipe your iPad clean through the Erase iPad tool. It will wipe data multiple times ensuring 100% unrecoverable.
Way 3. Transfer Old iPad to New iPad with iCloud
To transfer from old iPad to new iPad with iCloud, you should first backup your old iPad via iCloud. It can help you transfer all content and settings. But iCloud offers 5 GB free storage space to let you store your data. If the data you need to back up exceeds 5 GB, the backup will fail.
● Backup old iPad: Go to Settings > Tap your name > Tap iCloud > Tap iCloud Backup > Tap Back Up Now to create a backup package.
● Restore backup to new iPad: Set up the device until you see the App & Data screen > Choose Restore from iCloud Backup.
Way 4. Transfer Old iPad to New iPad Using iTunes
If you wonder how to transfer everything from old ipad to new ipad, the answer is to use iTunes. It is able to transfer almost all data as well as all settings. Unlike iCloud, there is no space limit and no need to use Wi-Fi. Because the backup file is relatively large, it will take a long time to complete.
● Backup old iPad: Run iTunes > Plug in old iPad > Click the Device tab > Go to Summary > Select This Computer > Click Back Up Now.
● Restore backup to new iPad: Plug in new iPad > Go to Go to Summary page > Click Restore Backup > Select the backup you created before.
That’s all about how to transfer old iPad to new iPad Pro/Air/mini. If you happen to set up your new iPad, you can complete the transfer during the setup process. If the Wi-Fi is not stable, you can use FoneTool to transfer data via USB cable. In addition, it can also help you transfer from old iPad to new iPad after setup.
FoneTool Runs Perfectly on
- iOS 16/15/14/13/12/11 and former
- iPadOS 16/15/14/13/12/11 and former
- iPhone 14/14 Pro (Max), 13/13 mini/Pro (Max), iPhone 12/12 mini/Pro (Max), iPhone 11/11 Pro (Max)
- iPhone X/XR/XS/XS Max, iPhone 8/8 Plus, iPhone 7/7 Plus, iPhone 6/6s/6s Plus
- iPhone SE (1st, 2nd, 3rd generations)
- iPod touch 1/2/3/4/5/6/7
- All models of iPad Air, iPad mini, iPad Pro and iPad