I created a new Hyper-V virtual machine of Windows 10 system and tried to set up an external virtual network using a wireless adapter in the Virtual Switch Administrator. However, when I perform this setting, the Windows 10 virtual machine is still unable to connect to the Internet. I have been trying for hours with the same result, no Internet on Hyper-V VMs. Can anyone help me with this problem?
Why Hyper-V VM have no Internet
Hyper-V is provided by Microsoft that allows users to create virtual machines and to execute and manage multiple operating systems on a single physical server. But in some cases, newly created virtual machines may have no Internet access as described in the case above.
The problem of no Internet on Hyper-V virtual machine may be caused by mismatched network adapters or no Virtual Switch.
If the virtual network adapter does not match the Windows system of the VM, Hyper-V virtual machine may fail to connect to Internet. For example, if the virtual machine is installed with Windows Vista system, it can only use the legacy network adapter instead of standard network adapter.
However, if you are using Windows 11 or 10 system and cannot access to Internet, the mismatched network adapter is not the cause of the problem which means configuring network adapters is not applicable. So, you can try the following method to solve this problem.
How to connect Hyper-V VM to Internet
If the Hyper-V virtual machine does not have Internet connection on a Windows 10 or Windows 11 virtual machine, you can try sharing your host network connection with Hyper-V. It is necessary to note that you need to create a new virtual network switch and specify a network adapter first before sharing the network connection.
Step 1. Add a new Virtual Network Switch
1. Access to Hyper-V Manager and shut down the Windows 10 virtual machine. Then right click the VM and select Virtual Switch Manager.
2. In the opened wizard, click New virtual network switch >> External >> Create Virtual Switch.
3. Type a name for the new virtual network switch, and select External network >> Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller >> Allow management operating system to share this network adapter.
Step 2. Specify the configuration of Network Adapter
1. Back to Hyper-V Manger, select the virtual machine and Settings.
2. Click Network Adapter, and select the virtual switch you created. Click OK.
Step 3. Share the Network Connect in Hyper-V
1. From the desktop, click the Network icon and open the settings.
2. Click Status >> Change adapter options to find the virtual machine network.
3. Right-click it and select Properties >> Sharing >> Allow other network users to connect through this computer’s Internet connect. Then from the below box, select the created network switch. Click OK.
4. Power on the Windows 10 virtual machine to check the network status.
Related: The local machine has no network while VM has
In addition to no Internet access for Hyper-V virtual machines, you may encounter other problems when creating new virtual machines on Hyper-V.
After creating a virtual machine in Hyper-V, some users find that the network traffic on all computers can only be sent out through the virtual network adapter due to the incorrect priority of the network adapter, which eventually causes that the Internet of the virtual machine is normal while the local machine has no Internet. So, how to solve this problem? Please refer to the following steps.
1. Open Windows PowerShell.
2. In the window, type Get-NetAdapter, remember the IfIndex value OF virtual network adapter. Press Enter.
3. Type Get-NetIPInterface to monitor the IfIndex value, press Enter.
4. Press Windows+I to open Internet Settings. In Status page, select Change adapter options. Then select the Virtual Network Adapter >> Properties.
5. Select Internet Communications Protocol version 4 (TCP/IPv4) >> Properties >> Advanced >> Unchecked the Automatic metric and type a value in the Interface metric box. Click OK.
6. Back to Networking page, select Internet Protocol version 6 (TCP/IPv6) and refer to steps 5 to modify the values of Interface metric.
After solving the network problem, you can run your Hyper-V virtual machine for workloads, and do not forget to back up Hyper-V VM to protect virtual machine security.
How to protect Hyper-V virtual machine comprehensively
For professional data protection, it’s necessary to try a powerful backup software. AOMEI Cyber Backup is devoted to provide you with automatic backup and instant recovery with easy operations.
3 steps to offer comprehensive protection for Hyper-V VM
1. Download AOMEI Cyber Backup and add your devices.
2. Create Backup Task: In backup task page, set up your backup plan.
Task Name >> Device >> Target >> Schedule >> Backup Cleanup
3. Click Restore to achieve fast disaster recovery that restore virtual machine to a new location in a flash without any complicated reinstallation or configuration.
When you are actively looking for an effective solution to the Hyper-V virtual machine without Internet access, or if your local machine cannot connect Internet in the process of running Hyper-V VM, you can try the methods provided in this article which ensures that the correct network connection for Hyper-V VM and local machine.