Case: Help, the Hyper-V VM No Internet
I created a new Hyper-V virtual machine of Windows 10 system and tried to set up an external virtual network using a wireless adapter in the Virtual Switch Administrator. However, when I perform this setting, the Windows 10 virtual machine is still unable to connect to the Internet. I have been trying for hours with the same result, no Internet on Hyper-V VMs. Can anyone help me with this problem?
Why Hyper-V VM No Internet in Windows 11
Hyper-V is provided by Microsoft that allows users to create virtual machines and to execute and manage multiple operating systems on a single physical server. But in some cases, newly created virtual machines may have no Internet access, as described in the case above.
The problem of Hyper-V VM no Internet may be caused by following reasons.
- DHCP server may be temporarily shut down for maintenance or misconfigured, which causes that Windows-based computers cannot assign themselves an IP address from DHCP automatically.
- If the virtual network adapter does not match the Windows system of the VM, it will result in a failure to network connection. For example, if the virtual machine is installed with Windows Vista system, it can only use the legacy network adapter instead of standard network adapter. However, if your Hyper-V VM cannot access to Internet on Windows latest OS such as 11/10 or Windows Server 2019, the mismatched network adapter should not be the cause of the problem.
In the following sections, I will introduce how to fix the issue of Hyper-V VM no Internet and offers solution on how to connect Hyper-V to Internet correctly.
Easily fix Hyper-V no Internet issue in 3 steps
If the Hyper-V virtual machine does not have Internet connection on Windows 11/10 or Windows Server 2019, you can try sharing your host network connection with Hyper-V. It is necessary to note that you need to create a new virtual network switch and specify a network adapter first before sharing the network connection in Hyper-V.
Step 1. Add a new Virtual Network Switch in Windows 11
1. Access to Hyper-V Manager and shut down the Windows 11 virtual machine. Then right-click the VM and select Virtual Switch Manager.
2. In the opened wizard, click New virtual network switch >> External >> Create Virtual Switch.
3. Type a name for the new virtual network switch, and select External network >> Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller >> Allow management operating system to share this network adapter.
Step 2. Specify the configuration of Network Adapter
1. Back to Hyper-V Manger, select the virtual machine and Settings.
2. Click Network Adapter, and select the virtual switch you created. Click OK.
Step 3. Share the Network Connection in Hyper-V
1. From the desktop, click the Network icon and open the settings.
2. Click Status >> Change adapter options to find the virtual machine network.
3. Right-click it and select Properties >> Sharing >> Allow other network users to connect through this computer’s Internet connect. Then from the below box, select the created network switch. Click OK.
4. Power on the Windows 10 virtual machine to check the network status.
Updated: Fix Physical Machine Network Issue
In addition to no Internet access for Hyper-V virtual machines, you may encounter other problems when creating new virtual machines on Hyper-V.
After creating a virtual machine in Hyper-V, some users find that the network traffic on all computers can only be sent out through the virtual network adapter due to the incorrect priority of the network adapter, which eventually causes that the Internet of the virtual machine is normal while the local machine has no Internet. So, how to solve this problem? Please refer to the following steps.
1. Open Windows PowerShell.
2. In the window, type Get-NetAdapter, remember the IfIndex value OF virtual network adapter. Press Enter.
3. Type Get-NetIPInterface to monitor the IfIndex value, press Enter.
4. Press Windows+I to open Internet Settings. In Status page, select Change adapter options. Then select the Virtual Network Adapter >> Properties.
5. Select Internet Communications Protocol version 4 (TCP/IPv4) >> Properties >> Advanced >> Unchecked the Automatic metric and type a value in the Interface metric box. Click OK.
6. Back to Networking page, select Internet Protocol version 6 (TCP/IPv6) and refer to steps 5 to modify the values of Interface metric.
After solving the network problem, you can run your Hyper-V virtual machine for workloads, and do not forget to back up Hyper-V VM to protect virtual machine security.
Important: Completely Protect Your Hyper-V Virtual Machine
Network error could dramatically affect your normal work and plans. Some virus could also damage your data through internet. It would be better to safeguard Hyper-V VM comprehensively. In addition, many unexpected errors may also occur during routine virtual machine works. That’s why all of us put so much emphasis on data security.
For professional data protection, it’s necessary to use a powerful backup solution. AOMEI Cyber Backup is a free Hyper-V backup software devoted to provide you with automatic backup and instant recovery with easy operations. It offers you the following benefits:
Download and enjoy the perpetual Free Edition:
*You can choose to install this VM backup software on either Windows or Linux system.
3 steps to offer comprehensive protection for Hyper-V VM
1. Download AOMEI Cyber Backup and add your devices.
2. Create Backup Task: In backup task page, set up your backup plan.
Task Name >> Device >> Target >> Schedule >> Backup Cleanup
3. Click Restore to achieve fast disaster recovery that restore virtual machine to a new location in a flash without any complicated reinstallation or configuration.
✤ Advanced features you may need (available in Premium Edition):
- Backup cleanup: Set up a retention policy to delete your older full backups/incremental backups automatically and save storage space .
- Restore to new location: Create a new identical VM from a backup to the same or another datastore/host, saves the hassle of re-configuring the new VM.
When you are actively looking for an effective solution of Hyper-V VM no Internet, or if your local machine cannot connect to Internet in the process of running Hyper-V VM, you can try the methods provided in this article which ensures that the correct network connection for Hyper-V VM and local machine.