How to Recover Cropped Images on PCs & Phones?
Learn to recover cropped images from PCs & phones with the corresponding fixes on this page. Besides, you can also recover deleted cropped images with ease.
Can you restore a cropped picture?
I cropped several photos and lost the edited photos. However, I found the leftover part of the original picture that I had edited out with the crop, with a dark, blank space over the rest of the picture, which I had cropped into the newer, edited pic. I can see the full picture on the thumbnail view, and sometimes, when I open the picture in Microsoft Office 2010, I’ll see the full original picture for a split second before the darkened space reappears over the part of the picture I originally cropped in. Moreover, when I enlarge by using Ctrl + Mouse Up, it will display the full original picture on the thumbnail until it gets big enough to a certain point. The dark potion can appear over the originally kept part of the pic again. So is it possible for me to recover cropped images? Thanks.
- A user from Microsoft Community
Users often lose previous images from their PCs, smartphones, and cameras because of deletion, careless treatment, or the SD card deleting files by itself.
Besides, some of them also can lose photos after editing and saving their original photos via drawing software. Nothing is more aggravating than receiving a photo that has been cropped in an unfavorable way.
So is it possible to revert photos to original? Before saving your modified pictures and closing your photo editing utility, you can still apply the undo operation in it to get your original photos back.
Two scenarios to recover cropped images
Since users often edit and crop images on computers and phones, there’re two scenarios for you to recover cropped images before ending the photo editing software.
1. Revert edited photos in Google Photos on your PCs & phones
Google Photos is one of the most popular photo apps on computers (Windows & Mac) and phones (iOS devices & many Android phones such as Google Pixel 6, 7, or 7 Pro).
This app enables you to alter an image file and undo changes if necessary. But the revert feature is only accessible when modifications are saved in the original image files.
- When your Google Photos Locked Folder missing or not showing up, please find other feasible fixes on another page.
Please refer to the following steps.
» After opening your Google Photos on your PC or phone, locate the pic > click Edit > Revert to original > Revert to get the original photo back.
2. Revert edited photos to Original in Preview on Mac
Mac has released an excellent app named Preview. This is a handy PDF editing tool and a great image editor. Apple users are permitted to crop, resize, rotate, annotate, and edit images with it. If you’ve regretted having cropped pictures, let’s perform how to revert a photo back to original.
» Open your Preview app> click File > Revert to > Browse All Versions. Then choose the original version of your edited photo > Restore.
Bonus tips: How to recover deleted cropped images without backups?
Though failing to revert cropped images can cause data loss, deletion could be the most common data loss scenario. After deleting cropped images from your local drive, can you retrieve them?
In theory, those users who’ve created regular backups can restore their desired cropped images from backups. But in practice, most users don’t have a long-term awareness of backups. So how to recover deleted cropped images without backups?
In this scenario, seeking assistance from powerful data recovery software for Windows is the most effort-saving method. Released by AOMEI Tech, MyRecover is outstanding on the market because it’s good at recovering deleted & missing photos from local hard drives.
- ★Key features of MyRecover:
- All-inclusive: Apply to a variety of data loss scenarios such as deletion, disk formatting, system crashes, or virus attacks.
- High-efficiency: Recover 42 types of images (PNG, JPG, JPEG, BMP, etc), as well as MS Office files and WPS files, folders, compressed files, audio, songs, and videos from HDDs, USB sticks, SD cards, etc.
- Advanced scanning method: MyRecover runs Quick Scan & Deep Scan automatically to search all the recoverable files. Specify the filename, saved path, date, or size to filter your needed files.
- Convenience: Retain the original filename, path, and format for all the deleted cropped images.
- Excellent compatibility: Support NTFS, FAT32, exFAT, and ReFS file systems.
How to recover deleted photos Windows 10/11 with ease? Please download MyRecover on your Windows 11, 10, 8, 7, or Server PC to retrieve them!
Step 1. Launch MyRecover and select the hard drive that includes your wanted cropped images. Then click the “Start Scan” button.
Step 2. Filter your needed pictures according to Document Type, Name, Date, or Path.
- Name: Type the filenames of your desired files to narrow the search area.
- Date modified: Set the date (today, yesterday, last 7/30 days, and so on) according to your situation.
- Size: Filter the file size (<128KB, 128KB~1MB, 1MB~ 512MB, etc) based on your needs.
Step 3. Go to the Deleted Files/Recycle Bin/Other Missing Files folder and choose the images you want. Then click “Recover x files” to start the photo recovery process.
- After photo recovery, please store your retrieved cropped images in a new drive instead of the original hard drive.
- Upgrading MyRecover to the Professional or Technician edition is a more cost-effective solution if you want to recover a large number of deleted & lost files from local drives.
- If you want to recover deleted cropped images on your iPhone without backups, please try this iOS data recovery software to perform iPhone photo recovery.
Are you wondering how to recover cropped images online? And how to recover deleted photos Windows 10 or 11 computers? Please get the corresponding fixes from the above part.
No one wants to suffer the second damage, but only a minority of users have taken data loss prevention measures to prevent photo loss at the source.
- If you’re unwilling to be restricted by the complicated backup and restoration steps with Windows features, why not give free AOMEI Backupper a shot? This flexible Windows backup software offers more comprehensive features and easy-to-follow operating steps for you to back up files like cropped images.
- For iOS devices, please try this free iOS backup and transfer tool, FoneTool to back up your local photos.