How to Recover Deleted Large MKV Files?
Learn how to recover deleted large MKV files via three feasible solutions on this page. Besides, there’re related MKV file recovery tips and data loss prevention tips.
- What is MKV file format?
- How to recover deleted MKV large files on Windows?
- What program open MKV files?
- Useful tips to prevent MKV video loss
- Related Q&A about MKV file recovery
What is MKV file format?
Known as MKV, the Matroska Multimedia Container is a free open video format that enables you to store a vast array of video, audio, image, or subtitle tracks within a single file.
Although MKV shares similarities with other containers such as AVI, MP4, and ASF, its fully transparent specifications & predominantly open-source software implementation sets MKV apart.
When utilizing MKV, the file extensions vary depending on the content type. For video files that may include subtitles or audio, the extension is .mkv. Stereoscopic videos are denoted by .mk3d, while audio-only files adopt the extension .mka. Subtitles-only files carry the .mks extension.
Why is MKV good?
In the MKV file format, data is organized into distinct units called blocks.
These blocks are further grouped together into block groups and clusters. Within these structures, important time code metadata is specified, which includes headers for the blocks, block groups, and clusters.
Within MKV files, a wide range of codecs are supported, catering to diverse multimedia needs. Notably, it extends its support to subtitle formats such as SRT, SSA, and USF (Universal Subtitle Format).
For DVDs, MKV includes compatibility with VobSub. Additionally, the format is capable of accommodating 3D video content.
The MKV file format has gained significant popularity within the anime fan-subbing community, where enthusiasts translate foreign films and television programs into different languages. This widespread adoption can be attributed to MKV’s exceptional capability to house multiple audio and subtitle tracks within a single file.
How to recover deleted MKV large files on Windows?
So how to recover deleted large MKV files? There’re three feasible solutions for you.
Option 1. Restore accidentally/recently deleted large MKV files from Recycle Bin
Without emptying your Recycle Bin or pressing Shift + Delete to permanently deleting your desired large MKV videos, it’s easy to restore accidentally or recently deleted large MKV files from the desktop Recycle Bin.
- Please note that your large deleted MKV videos might cannot be kept in your Recycle Bin if this temporary storage place is almost full or not big enough to save large deleted files. In this scenario, please refer to another two feasible ways to retrieve permanently deleted videos from computers.
» Open your desktop Recycle Bin > find your wanted deleted large MKV video > right-click on it > Restore it to its previously saved path.
Option 2. Recover deleted large MKV files via Backup and Restore
But is there another way to recover deleted MKV videos after emptying them? It turns out there is.
As you can see, backups are the best hedge against data loss. If a valuable backup saves your needed MKV video, you can restore it from this backup directly.
Let’s perform how to recover deleted larger MKV files via Windows Backup and Restore because this feature is compatible with Windows 7 operating system and above.
Step 1. Type “System and Security” in the search bar to open it. Then select “Restore files from backups” under the Backup and Restore (Windows 7) tab.
Step 2. Click the “Restore my files” button.
Step 3. Select “Browse for files” to find your wanted MKV videos > click Next.
Step 4. To retrieve your selected MKV files to their original location or set a new saved path > click Restore.
Option 3. Recover deleted/lost large MKV files via video recovery software
So how to recover large permanently deleted files without backups? In the absence of regular backups, you might have no recourse but to seek help from powerful data recovery tools.
Released by AOMEI Tech, professional MyRecover provides an advanced scanning method and high data recovery rate because this video recovery software does well in recovering deleted/missing videos (MKV, MP4, MOV, WebM, AVI, etc.) from internal hard drives, USB drives, SD cards, etc.
Highlights of MyRecover:
- All-inclusive: Handle data loss scenarios such as deletion, disk formatting, system crashes, or virus attacks.
- High-efficiency: Recover 200+ types of files such as videos, photos, MS Office and WPS files, folders, compressed files, audio, songs, and websites.
- Advanced scanning method: MyRecover runs Quick Scan & Deep Scan automatically to search all the recoverable files. Specify the filename, saved path, date, or size to filter your needed files.
- Convenience: Retain the original filename, path, and format for the deleted files.
- Excellent compatibility: Support NTFS, FAT32, exFAT, and ReFS file systems and be compatible with Windows 11, 10, 8, 7, or Sever PC.
- Any newly added data can overwrite the deleted/missing MKV videos. Thus, please avoid writing new files to your Windows PC after deletion.
- After video recovery, please save your retrieved MKV videos in another path.
- To recover deleted large MKV videos from local hard drives, upgrading MyRecover is a better and more cost-effective choice.
Step 1. Install and launch MyRecover on your Windows> select C drive > click Start Scan.
Step 2. MyRecover will automatically run Quick and Deep Scan to scan your selected C drive and display all the recoverable files.
You can preview or filter your needed MKV videos according to Document Type, Name, Date, Path, or Size.
- Name: Type the filenames of your desired files to narrow the search area.
- Date modified: Set the date (today, yesterday, last 7/30 days, etc.)
- Size: Filter the file size (<128KB, 128KB~1MB, 1MB~ 512MB, etc.)
Step 3. Under the Recycle Bin folder, choose your needed MKV files. Please click “Recover x files” to start the video recovery process.
After recovery, you can go to your specified saved path to check your recovered MKV file.
What program open MKV files?
When it comes to opening MKV files, you can use the corresponding video players on different operating systems.
◢ For Windows:
Media Player, File Viewer Plus, CyberLink PowerDVD 16, Nero 2016, DivX 7 for Windows, VideoLAN VLC media player, BS. Player, KMPlayer, MPlayer, etc.
These steps describe how to open a downloaded MKV video on Windows 10 computer.
» Please press Win + E to open File Explorer > click Downloads > right-click on your saved MKV video > select Open with > choose Media Player.
For Mac: VideoLAN VLC media player, Eltima Elmedia Player, Roxio Popcorn, Divx 7 for Mac, ShedWorx Smart Converter, etc.
For Linux: VideoLAN VLC media player, MPlayer, etc.
For iOS: VideoLAN VLC for iOS 2, olimsoft OPlayer, Pentaloop PlayerXtreme Media Player, etc.
For Android: BIT LABS Simple MP4 Video Player, Videolabs VLC for Android, etc.
Useful tips to prevent MKV video loss
There’re some useful tips for you to prevent MKV video loss. Please take these pertinent suggestions into consideration and put them into action.
- Use reliable media players to open MKV files.
- Handle your storage device with care.
- Avoid power outages or failures.
- Run the latest antivirus software to protect your computer.
- Please be cautious with file conversion.
- Don’t download MKV video files from insecure or untrusted sources.
- Remember to make regular backups because only valuable backups are the best hedge against data loss. If you prefer easier backup and restoration steps, this free Windows backup software-AOMEI Backupper Standard is a better choice for you to adopt.
Since regular backup is the most practical data loss prevention measure, let’s show how to create a File Backup via this freeware.
Step 1. Launch AOMEI Backupper on your Windows PC and select the “File Backup” option.
Step 2. Click “Add Folder/Add File” to add the folder or MKV files you want to back up.
Step 3. Click “Schedule Backup” to enable Daily, Weekly, Monthly, Event triggers or USB plug based on your needs. Then click the “Start Backup” button.
Related Q&A about MKV file recovery
What is MKV file format? What program opens MKV files? How to recover deleted large MKV files? Please find answers from the corresponding part. In addition, there’re some relevant tips about MKV file recovery.