WebM File Recovery | How to Recover Deleted WebM Files?
Learn to recover deleted WebM files from Windows and Mac via the corresponding methods in this passage. Besides, you can also get related data loss prevention tips.
- What is a WebM file?
- How to create a WEBM video file?
- How to recover deleted WEBM files on Windows?
- How to recover deleted WEBM files on Mac?
- Relevant Q&A about WebM file recovery
What is a WebM file?
WebM is an open video format specifically designed for multimedia content like audio and video. This format allows media files to be stored in a compressed manner, adhering to compression standards that optimize their performance for online streaming. Besides, users can easily identify WebM files by their file extension (.webm).
Audio-compression technologies (Opus & Vorbis) and video-compression technologies (VP8 & VP9) are integrated into WebM digital streams.
For example, Chrome, Opera, and Firefox can fully support the WebM format, enabling smooth playback of WebM files. But browsers like Safari and Internet Explorer require third-party plugins to enable WebM support.
Notably, YouTube benefits a lot because YouTube HTML5 Player relies on WebM files for streaming videos, further solidifying its prominence. And WebM is widely popular among mobile device users.
In summary, integrated audio and video compression technologies, widespread browser support, mobile compatibility have made WebM a preferred choice for online streaming and mobile media consumption.
How to create a WEBM video file?
If you want to save from MP4, MKV, AVI, or other file formats to WENM, you can use a third-party tool or online conversion tools such as Online Video Converter or Zamzar to convert your files to the WEBM video format.
As mentioned at the beginning, several web browsers such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, and Opera can play WebM files directly within the browser.
So you can effortlessly enjoy your WebM files using the on-screen controls, eliminating the need for additional software or plugins and ensuring a seamless playback experience within your web browser.
Please refer to these clicks to open a downloaded WebM video on your Windows PC.
» Press Win + E to open File Explorer > click Downloads > right-click on your saved WEBM video file > click Open with > select Media Player to open it.
Apart from Media Player, you can also utilize File Viewer Plus, VideoLAN VLC media player, Microsoft Edge, or Microsoft Windows Media Player to open them on Windows.
How to recover deleted WEBM files on Windows?
Data loss can occur unexpectedly, especially when organizing or converting WebM files. Luckily, there are solutions available to recover deleted WebM files. Please read further.
Method 1. Restore accidentally/recently deleted WebM files from Recycle Bin
If you’ve accidentally deleted your WebM videos, your Windows OS will automatically send them to your desktop Recycle Bin. This temporary storage place can keep recently deleted items before permanent deletion (emptying Recycle Bin or second deleting your WebM file).
» Double-click on your desktop Recycle Bin icon to open it > find your deleted WebM video file > right-click on it > Restore it to its original location.
If you’ve permanently deleted your wanted WebM files, there’ll be no sign of this video in your desktop Recycle Bin. So you need to refer to another two feasible ways.
Method 2. Recover deleted WebM files via Previous Versions
If you’ve turned on File History or System Protection on the local disk that stores your WebM videos, you can use Previous Versions to access earlier or older versions of your files or folders based on the timeline.
Because this feature allows you to go back in time and recover specific versions of your WebM video files that may have been accidentally deleted or modified.
Moreover, Previous Versions also can help you recover overwritten Excel files.
Step 1. Press Win + E to open Windows File Explorer > right-click on the local disk that stores your WebM videos before deletion.
Step 2. Click Properties > Previous Versions > select a folder version > click Restore.
Step 2. If you desire to set a new saved path, please right-click on Restore and select Restore to.
Method 3. Recover deleted WebM files via data recovery software
But is there another way to perform WebM recovery without backups? It turns out there is. You can seek help from professional video recovery software to recover permanently deleted WebM files.
Supported by AOMEI Tech, highly-praised data recovery software-MyRecover is good at recovering deleted & missing videos (WebM, MP4, MOV, etc.) from computer drives.
- After recovery, please set a new saved path to save your retrieved files.
- MyRecover enables you to recover 30 MB of files for free each time. In this scenario, if you only need to recover one WebM video within 30 MB, you do not need to pay for it.
- To recover a large number of deleted/missing files from local hard drives, upgrading MyRecover is a better and more cost-effective choice.
- ★Highlights of MyRecover:
- All-inclusive: Handle data loss scenarios such as deletion, disk formatting, system crashes, or virus attacks.
- High-efficiency: Recover 200+ types of files such as videos, Microsoft Word, Excel, PPT, and WPS files, folders, compressed files, photos, audio, songs, and websites from HDDs, USB sticks, SD cards, etc.
- Advanced scanning method: MyRecover runs Quick Scan & Deep Scan automatically to search all the recoverable files. Specify the filename, saved path, date, or size to filter your needed files.
- Convenience: Retain the original filename, path, and format for the deleted files.
- Excellent compatibility: Support NTFS, FAT32, exFAT, and ReFS file systems.
Don’t hesitate to download MyRecover on your Windows 11, 10, 8, 7, or Server PC! In this case, let’s take the C drive as an example.
Step 1. Install and launch MyRecover > select C drive > click Start Scan.
Step 2. MyRecover will automatically run Quick and Deep Scan to scan your selected C drive and display all the recoverable files.
You can preview or filter your needed WebM video files according to Document Type, Name, Date, or Path.
- Name: Type the filenames of your desired files to narrow the search area.
- Date modified: Set the date (today, yesterday, last 7/30 days, etc.)
- Size: Filter the file size (<128KB, 128KB~1MB, 1MB~ 512MB, etc.)
Step 3. Go to the Recycle Bin folder and select your desired WebM video. Then click “Recover x files” to start the video recovery process.
After recovery, you can check your retrieved WebM videos with your designated saved path. Its filename of the recovered folder is the original saved drive + date.
How to recover deleted WEBM files on Mac?
If you desire to recover deleted WebM files on Mac, there’re two efficient approaches.
Method 1. Restore accidentally/recently deleted WEBM files from Mac Trash
As the title suggests, this way aims to recover accidentally/recently deleted WebM files from Mac Trash.
» Find the corresponding Trash Bin in the Dock > locate the WebM video > right-click on it > choose Put Back.
Method 2. Recover deleted WEBM files via Time Machine
For permanently deleted WebM files, Time Machine might be your treatment if you’ve created backups because it is a backup way provided by Apple that automatically creates backups at regular intervals (hourly, daily, and weekly).
- You don’t have to launch a window if your lost files were previously stored on the desktop.
- If you want to make your Time Machine show on the desktop, go to the Apple menu > click System Preferences > Time Machine > Show Time Machine in menu bar.
Step 1. Open the window where you lost files.
Step 2. Click the icon in the , find , and click .
Step 3. Use the to locate the files you need to restore.
Step 4. Click to recover your needed WebM videos, then your lost data will come back to the previous location.
Relevant Q&A about WebM file recovery
What is a WebM file? How to create a WebM video file? How to recover deleted WebM files on Windows or Mac? If you’re bothered by these issues, please find corresponding via the respective parts. Moreover, there’re some relevant WebM file recovery tips.