Overview of Paragon Drive Copy
Paragon Drive Copy is a feature-packed data migration and backup tool for advanced home users. It provides the most efficient way to migrate Windows OS from Windows 7 onwards. It also offers the ability to copy hard drive entirely or a partition separately.
What’s more, you are allowed to exclude certain files or folders when you are cloning larger drive to smaller drive. You can also perform partitioning operations to keep disks properly organized when copying a volume/partition. Now the product functionality is available as part of the all-in-one Hard Disk Manager. If you want a standalone version of Paragon Drive Copy download, you may contact Support.
How to use Paragon Drive Copy step by step?
As you can see from the image above, the Drive Copy functionality is locked in Hard Disk Manager Basic version. So you have to upgrade to the advanced version to unlock Drive Copy. Learn how to use Paragon Drive Copy in detail below:
1. Connect a new disk to the computer. Launch Hard Disk Manager and open Drive Copy scope.
2. Select Tools > Migrate to open the wizard. Click Next on the Welcome page of the wizard.
3. In the next page, select your preferred migration scenario and click Next. Take system migration as an example here.
4. The wizard will search your system for supported operating systems. If several OSes have been found, you need to choose one to migrate from the list and click Next.
5. The program will pick system-related partition(s) automatically. Select a destination disk to hold the OS and click Next.
6. If there is existing data on the destination disk, you will be warned that all data on the disk will be lost during the migration process. Save all important data to another location and then confirm to proceed.
7. (Optional) If the destination disk is not enough in capacity to hold your OS, you’ll be prompted to exclude files from the main system partition. First click Calculate to know exactly how much data you need to exclude.
Tips: If the destination disk is the same size or larger than the source, then the data space calculation won’t be available in the program’s interface.
8. Review all parameters of the operation and modify them if necessary by clicking Back to go back to the required steps.
If the destination disk is larger than the source, the wizard will prompt you to expand the resulted partition across all on-disk space. Unmark the corresponding option if you don’t need that.
If the destination disk becomes Bootable GPT after migration, you’ll see one more option that allows you to make OS bootable on this disk. You can also specify a bootable device at any time through Boot Corrector.
9. Click Finish to execute the operation immediately. There are two more options for you here: “Perform the operation in the simulation mode” and “Send e-mail notification about results of this operation”. Check them based on your needs.
Get free alternative to Paragon Drive Copy
Although Paragon Drive Copy works well in system migration or disk/partition copy, you should pay for all the functions and it only supports Windows 7 SP1 and later operating systems. Luckily, you can turn to Paragon Drive Copy free alternative—AOMEI Backupper Standard to perform disk/partition clone. It supports both 32-bit and 64-bit version of Windows 10/8.1/8/7/Vista/XP. I’ll show you how to copy a hard drive to another easily via free AOMEI Backupper below:
Note: Before you start, you must backup files on the destination drive, because all the data in the destination will be deleted in the cloning process.
Step 1. Connect the destination drive to your computer and make sure it is detected. Download, install and run AOMEI Backupper.
Step 2. Click “Clone” on the left pane and select “Disk Clone”.
Step 3. Select the original hard drive on your PC as the source disk and click “Next”.
Step 4. Select the destination drive you have connected to your PC and click “Next”.
Step 5. Confirm the operation and click “Start Clone”.
>> Edit partitions on the destination disk: you can choose to resize partitions on the destination disk or not here.
>> Sector by sector clone: it will clone every sector on the source disk no matter it is used or not, thus costing more time. It requires the destination disk to be equal to or larger than the source disk.
>> Align partition to optimize for SSD: it will improve the reading and writing speed of the SSD. Use this option if the destination disk is an SSD.
As the source disk is the system disk, you need to change boot order in BIOS or replace the source drive with the cloned one to boot from it after cloning.
To clone OS only to the destination disk, please upgrade to AOMEI Backupper Professional and use System Clone feature.
To sum up
Now you know what Paragon Drive Copy is and how to use it exactly. To clone a disk or a particular partition freely, you may choose AOMEI Backupper. It can also be used as XXCopy alternative. Don’t hesitate to give it a try!