Full Guide | Safely Clone BitLocker Encrypted Drive to SSD
When your current drive is encrypted with BitLocker, you can use this specialist freeware to clone BitLocker Encrypted disk. 9 concerned FAQs are discussed.
- BitLocker Encryption: What is It?
- Can I Clone BitLocker Encrypted Drive with Clonezilla?
- Free Cloning Software to Clone Encrypted Hard Drive
- How to Clone BitLocker Encrypted Drive Step by Step
- Further Reading: How to Disable BitLocker in Windows
- 9 FAQs on BitLocker Encryption
🌟 Video Guide: How to Clone BitLocker Encrypted Disk
BitLocker Encryption: What is It?
BitLocker Drive Encryption also referred to as BitLocker, is an integral feature in Windows operating systems. It is designed to protect your drive from unauthorized access and protect your data, even in the event someone physically removes your drive and attempts to access it from another computer.
Unfortunately, if you want to clone BitLocker encrypted disk, as your drive is encrypted, regular disk cloning software may be unable to copy the drive as it can’t access the data.
Can I Clone BitLocker Encrypted Drive with Clonezilla?
In order to clone your encrypted drive, you will require disk cloning software. Clonezilla, a well-known piece of open source cloning and imaging software, is widely used among Windows PC users. Many users have attempted to clone their BitLocker encrypted partitions using Clonezilla.
Unfortunately, this fails as Clonezilla is unable to recognize or unlock the BitLocker encrypted partitions and clone the drive. So, if you want to use Clonezilla to clone a disk with BitLocker, then you are out of luck!
Free Cloning Software to Clone Encrypted Hard Drive
Luckily, AOMEI Backupper Standard, a specialist tool from AOMEI, can help you easily clone a BitLocker drive. It is free hard drive cloning software that allows you to clone any encrypted drive.
Normally, we would use Intelligent Sector Clone. However, to copy encrypted BitLocker partitions, we'll need the Sector by Sector Clone feature.
Sector by Sector clone requires the destination drive to have at least the same capacity as the source disk. If your system drive is encrypted on the source disk, you will be able to successfully boot from the cloned drive without needing to decrypt it first.
If you have a smaller destination drive, please decrypt the source hard drive before you start. If you have lost the decryption password for your drive, you will need to find your BitLocker Recovery Key. If your computer is connected to a Domain, you will be able to ask the administrator for the recovery key. Otherwise, you may be able to find your recovery key online.
How to Clone BitLocker Encrypted Drive Step by Step
The following content shows the step-by-step guide on cloning drive with bitlocker enabled to SSD or another HDD in Windows 11, 10, 8, 7, XP.
- Connect the destination drive (the drive you want to clone to) to your PC either through the second drive bay or via a SATA-to-USB adapter.
- Please be aware that all of the data on the destination disk will be deleted when the cloning process starts. Therefore, backup files that matter to you first.
- Download and install AOMEI Backupper on your PC.
✍ To clone a BitLocker encrypted drive:
Step 1. Run this free hard drive cloning software. Click on Disk Clone under the Clone tab on the left-hand side.
Step 2. Select the BitLocker Encrypted drive as the Source disk by clicking on it, then click Next.
Step 3. Select a different disk as the Destination Disk, and then click Next.
Step 4. In the Operation Summary screen, tick Sector by sector clone, and then click Start Clone to start cloning the encrypted hard drive.
Further Reading: How to Disable BitLocker in Windows
If you want to disable BitLocker after cloning for more convenient use or to avoid recovery troubles, follow the steps below.
1. Go to Control Panel > BitLocker Drive Encryption.
2. Find the drive on which you want BitLocker Drive Encryption to be turned off, and click Turn off BitLocker.
3. A message is displayed, informing you that the drive will be decrypted and that decryption may take a long time. Click on Turn off BitLocker to begin the decryption process.
9 FAQs on BitLocker Encryption
As you can see, cloning a BitLocker encrypted drive with AOMEI Backupper is as easy as pie. AOMEI Backupper isn’t just limited to its clone function, it has an entire range of useful features and tools.
Most backup software available on the market can’t handle encrypted drives, yet AOMEI Backupper easily provides comprehensive disk backup features for encrypted hard drives!
AOMEI Backupper is also able to assist you with backing up your encrypted system, partitions, and files. Why not download it now and give it a shot?