"Encrypt contents to secure data" option greyed out
Windows 10 comes with Encrypted File System (EFS) feature which enables you to encrypt a specific folder or drive. This is especially useful when you want to keep some data private and only accessible from your Windows account.
However, you may encounter Encryption contents to secure data greyed out in Windows 10/8/7 sometimes, as thus you cannot proceed to encrypt the data.
This problem usually arises due to misconfigured of registry values, and may occur to anyone. But don't worry, try following solutions to fix it!
How to fix "Encrypt contents to secure data" greyed out?
When the “Encrypt Contents To Secure Data" option grayed out in Windows 7/8/10, as above mentioned, you can reset registry values. Generally speaking, there are two methods may be helpful to make it work again:
Method 1: Enable EFS Using Windows Registry
The encryption option may be grayed out because some registry values are not set properly. To resolve this, follow the steps below.
1. Press Windows + R to open Run dialog and type “regedit" in it to open Registry Editor window.
2. Now move into following entry in the Registry Editor window.
3. Expand File System key to right-hand window, and look for the key named NtfsDisableEncryption. Double click on it, and set its value to 0.
4. Click OK to save the settings. Go back to the folder which you want to encrypt and click “Properties\Advanced\Advance Attribute" option. The option of encryption will no longer be grayed out.
Method 2: Enable EFS using Command line
You can also use Windows Command line to make the encryption option available to you for any of folders on your machine. You just have to run a simple and easy command. And your problem will resolve quickly. To do this, go with few below steps.
1. Open Command Prompt window as an administrator. Press the following command in it and hit Enter key.
fsutil behavior set disableencryption 0
*This command means to set NtfsDisableEncryption value to 0.
2. If the command runs successfully, it will ask you to reboot your system to apply the changes. After rebooting, the encryption option will be available for you in Properties of any folder.
With these simple solutions, you may use Encrypt File System again to encrypt specific files or folders. However, Encrypt File System does not available for Windows 10 Home edition, and it's not the most secure way to protect really important or sensitive data.
A better way to keep data safe
To protect data security, file and folder encryption is only the small part. If you delete your file or folder by mistake or encounter a critical failure, simple files & folders encryption may not be enough. There is also a good and common used way, that is to make a backup of your important data.
It would be great to have a solution that combines backup and encryption - this will provide you with double protection. AOMEI Backupper Professional is exactly the software that you are looking for.
- It allows you to back up files, partitions, operating system, and disk to various locations, such as external hard drive and network share.
- It enables you to encrypt backups to secure your data. Also, it does not have edition limit like EFS.
- It applies to all editions of Windows (Win 10/8.1/8/7/XP/Visa).
- There are many other useful features, like scheduled automatic backup, file filter, backup compression, old backups auto deletion, etc.
Let’s take a look at how to encrypt a folder in Windows 10 while creating a backup.
1. Download AOMEI Backupper and open the software. Select a backup type under the Backup tab. Set File Backup as an example.
2. Set the source by clicking Add File or Add Folder and select the destination partition respectively.
3. Click Options at the bottom and toggle on the Enable encryption for backups option in General tab. Then type the password and confirm the password.
To save disk space, you can set compression level in Advanced tab of Backup Settings.
4. After confirmation, click Start Backup to execute the task.
Schedule: Set up auto backup on basis of Daily/Weekly/Monthly/Event triggers/USB plug in. In Advanced tab, you can also choose to perform scheduled incremental or differential backups to save only changed files.
Scheme: Create a backup scheme to automatically delete old backup and always keep the latest one(s).
- If you already have encrypted files or folders, and you want to make a backup of this file/folder. You may fail because you cannot access to this drive. However, AOMEI Backupper can make it.
- If you want to perform data backup with all these powerful features on multiple computers, you could use the Create Portable Version tool (supported by Technician or Technician Plus edition) to make a portable backup software on removable device. It could be connected to any target Windows PC to use AOMEI Backupper without installation.
AOMEI Backupper is designed for your data security. Encrypt contents to secure data greyed out in Windows 10/8/8.1/7 is no longer an issue with the help of AOMEI Backupper. By setting encryption during a backup, you can rest assured that your data is double protected by it. AOMEI Backupper is embedded with VSS technology which allows you to perform VSS backup without interrupting. It is also a professional USB duplication software. You can clone your USB drive to another drive.
If you want to protect unlimited computers within your company, you can pick AOMEI Backupper Technician. With the inbuilt AOMEI Image Deploy tool, you are also allowed to deploy/restore system image file on server-side computer to multiple client-side computers over network.