Top 2 Toshiba (CANVIO) External Hard Drive Backup Software
Looking for easy-to-use Toshiba backup software to help you backup computer data to Toshiba external hard drive? Scroll down to get the top two tools. Keep reading to learn more details.
About Toshiba external hard drive
Toshiba external hard drive enjoys great popularity around the world. Whether you are looking for portable or desktop HDDs, Toshiba offers a wide range of external hard drives.
- Canvio Basics: quickly transfer files with SuperSpeed USB 3.2 Gen 1 and store up to 4 TB of data.
- Canvio Advance: provide high-performance storage with stylish casing. Moreover, it includes a backup software package and easy-to-configure security software to keep your data safe.
- Canvio Slim: stand out for lightweight aluminium design. It is a perfect companion for your high-end PC devices.
- Canvio Flex: work interchangeably with most major device platforms and operating systems, such as Mac, Windows PC and tablets.
If you are using Toshiba external hard drive as backup device, learn how to backup to Toshiba external hard drive with two free tools below.
How to backup your computer to Toshiba external hard drive easily
To backup to Toshiba external hard drive, both Toshiba external hard drive software and free third-party backup software can help you. You can choose one based on your own needs. Each method includes a detailed graphic tutorial. Please read on.
To be honest, method 2 is easier and offers more flexible options.
Backup with Toshiba Storage Backup Software
Toshiba offers the Storage Backup Software for the CANVIO series. It is compatible with Windows 10/8.1/7. You can use this software to configure one backup plan per storage device and restore the backup data whenever the need arises. Follow the instructions below to create a backup with Toshiba Storage Backup Software:
- Connect the Toshiba external hard drive to your computer properly.
- Check if the hard drive is formatted as NTFS, because Toshiba Storage Backup Software only supports backing up to an NTFS drive. You can go to This PC, right-click on the drive, and select Properties to check.
1. Download the Storage Backup Software from the official website and install it. If your Toshiba external hard drive comes with a backup software package, then just install it.
2. Launch the Storage Backup software, select the storage you wish to configure a backup plan for from the left list, and click Next.
3. (Optional) If the storage device has multiple partitions, the “partition selection” dialog will appear. Select the partition you wish to backup your folders to and click Next.
4. Select the folder you wish to backup, and then click Next. The “Library” folders are selected by default. You can uncheck them as necessary.
5. Set backup schedule from the pull-down menu of “Frequency”, “What day”, and “Time”. Then click Next.
6. Confirm your backup plan and click Save. When asked “Do you want to save the backup plan?”, click OK.
7. The backup plan is saved and the “backup execution confirmation” dialog will appear. Click OK to start the backup now or click Cancel to run the backup at the specified time.
Backup using free AOMEI Backupper👍
As mentioned above, Toshiba Storage Backup Software only supports creating backup plans for NTFS drives, and each storage device can only be used for one backup plan. What’s more, the Storage Backup Software doesn’t allow you to backup Toshiba external hard drive itself.
Luckily, the best free backup software - AOMEI Backupper Standard makes up the shortages.
💾 Storage devices in various formats
It supports storage devices in various formats, including NTFS, FAT32, FAT16, exFAT, etc.
📝 Multiple backup tasks
It allows you to create multiple backup tasks with one hard drive.
🧿 Backup to another location
It enables you to not only backup computer data to Toshiba external hard drive but also backup files on the drive to another location.
All Windows PC operating systems like Windows 11/10/8.1/8/7/Vista/XP are supported. Download AOMEI Backupper to have a try right now.
Step 1. Connect the Toshiba disk to your PC and make sure it is detected. Install and open AOMEI Backupper.
Step 2. In the left tab page, select Backup and then select File Backup to backup specific files/folders. If you want to backup Windows to external hard drive, then choose System Backup.
Step 3. Give the backup a distinguishable name in the “Task Name” box. Then, click Add File or Add Folder to choose the files/folders you want to backup.
Step 4. Click the second bar to choose the Toshiba external hard drive you just connected as the destination path.
Step 5. Click Schedule Backup in the left bottom to configure an automatic backup. You can choose the “Daily”, “Weekly”, “Monthly”, “Event triggers”, or “USB plug-in” mode.
Step 6. Confirm your settings and click Start Backup to launch the backup process.
Backup Scheme: (paid feature)
- Backup Method: When you run a scheduled backup, it is performed with the incremental backup method by default. However, this method requires that the whole backup files are kept. If you accidentally delete one of the backup files by mistake, it may cause the backup to fail, so you can choose a more convenient differential backup method to help you.
- Cleanup Method: Since manual deletion of extra backups may cause accidental deletion, it is recommended that you enable the automatic backup cleanup feature. It can delete the extra backups regularly to save your disk space.
★ How to backup Toshiba external hard drive
Just choose Disk Backup under the Backup tab. Then, select the Toshiba external hard drive as the backup source and select another location (local disk, USB drive, NAS device, etc.) to save the backup image. Finally, click Start Backup to begin backing up all data on the Toshiba disk.
Fixed: Toshiba external hard drive not showing up
If you connect Toshiba external hard drive to your computer but it is not showing up, try the following methods to fix it.
👉 Fix 1. Check your Toshiba external hard drive connection
👉 Fix 2. Change drive letter and paths for your Toshiba external HDD
👉 Fix 3. Update your Toshiba external hard drive driver
👉 Fix 4. Check the Power Management for USB controllers (uncheck the first option)
👉 Fix 5. Disable USB selective suspend setting
Praised: portable Toshiba external hard drive backup software
What if you have multiple computers that need to be backed up? It would be troublesome to download and install backup software on each computer. In this condition, portable backup software helps a lot.
To create portable backup software on Toshiba external hard drive, you may pick AOMEI Backupper Technician or Technician Plus edition. Choose Create Portable Version under the Tools tab. Then, follow the wizard to complete portable version creation.
With portable AOMEI Backupper on Toshiba external hard drive, you can create backups for any computer by connecting the Toshiba drive to the computer.
There are two kinds of Toshiba external hard drive backup software offered in this page - Toshiba Storage Backup Software and AOMEI Backupper. However, Toshiba Storage Backup Software only supports backing up to an NTFS drive and it cannot backup Toshiba external hard drive itself. If you want a superior backup tool, then choose AOMEI Backupper.
Apart from the backup and restore features, AOMEI Backupper is all-in-one bootable USB software that can be used to boot a crashed computer. Any interest? Just go for it!