“Hi, there. I currently have an HDD that I bought about a year ago. however, I recently purchased a new WD 500GB SSD and I was wondering how I could clone my HDD to my WD SSD. I would also like to use the SSD as a boot drive. So, does WD SSD comes with cloning software? Or, is there any recommendation about WD clone software and how to use it? Thank you!”
The disk of WD does not come with cloning software. Therefore, you need to download WD SSD cloning software - Acronis True Image WD Edition from the WD website first. This article will introduce you the best cloning software to clone HDD to WD SSD with secure boot. you can read the following sections for more details and specific steps.
What is WD drive?
Western Digital Corporation is also known as Western Digital or WD, which is an American computer hard drive manufacturer and data storage company. It is one of the largest manufacturers of computer hard drives, as well as solid-state drives and flash memory devices. Western Digital drives have earned a good reputation among many Windows users. WD Blue 4TB drive, WB Black 6TB drive, and WD Blue 1TB drive are all very popular drive types.
Why Clone HDD to WD SSD?
So why should I clone HDD to SSD? We have compiled a few of the most common reasons for you.
- Data backup: When your hard drive is very old, you may face a lot of problems, the most serious one is data loss. So, cloning your old hard drive to a new SSD can help you safely migrate the data from the original hard drive to the new disk to achieve data protection purpose.
- Hard Drive Upgrade: If your hard drive capacity is too small or it is outdated, you need to upgrade your hard drive in time. AS we all know, SSD is faster and performs better than HDD. Thus, many people will choose to use SSD as their new disk, for example, WD SSD, which is very popular among Windows users.
- Save time: Reinstalling OS and applications, etc on a new SSD can take a lot of time. However, if you choose a reliable cloning software to clone your HDD to SSD, you can boot your system directly after cloning without reinstalling it. So it saves much time.
No matter for which reason, when you want to clone HDD to WD SSD, you need reliable and secure cloning software to help you. Next, I will introduce the best reliable Western Digital clone software with secure boot for you. Please read on.
The Best Western Digital Clone Software
If you'd like to find the best Western Digital clone software to clone HDD to WD SSD, and AOMEI Backupper Professional could be your best choice. As a professional disk cloning software, AOMEI Backupper Professional allows you to copy everything including the operating system, configuration settings, applications, and personal data to your WD SSD without reinstalling. It also has the following advantages.
- Secure Boot: You can securely clone your HDD to WD SSD. When the cloning process is complete, you can boot your computer directly from the cloned SSD and not have to reinstall it.
- Intelligent clone: This feature can help you easily clone a larger HDD to a smaller SSD. If your old hard drive contains bad sectors, don’t worry, it will automatically skip the bad sectors and clone the good ones.
- Live clone: Many users are concerned that cloning a disk need to stop all operations being performed on the computer, this feature supports operating disk cloning tasks in the background so that users can use their computer normally.
- SSD alignment: If your target disk is an SSD, this feature can accelerate its reading and writing speed.
- Different SSD types and brands: In addition to supporting WD SSD, this software also supports many other SSD types (SATA, NVMe, PCIe, M.2, U.2, etc.) and different SSD brands (Intel, Samsung, Crucial, etc.)
- Various storage paths: It not only supports cloning HDD to SSD but also external USB drive, network location, etc.
- Multiple operating systems: It supports Windows 11/10/8/7/XP/Vista, etc.
How to Clone HDD to WD SSD (Securely Boot)
Before you start cloning the disk, you need to backup your important files, because cloning the disk will erase all previous data. Then connect your target disk to your computer properly and make sure it can be recognized. After completing these preparations, you can follow the steps below to clone HDD to WD SSD with the best Western Digital clone software.
Step 1. Connect the WD SSD to your computer. Download AOMEI Backupper Professional, install and open it. Click Clone > Disk Clone.
Professional edition supports cloning both data disks and systems disks from MBR to MBR/MBR to GPT, or GPT to GPT/GPT to MBR. If you only want to clone data disks, you can pick the complete free Standard edition.
Step 2. Choose your old HDD as the source disk.
Step 3. Choose your WD SSD as the destination disk.
Step 4. Tick SSD Alignment to make the disk’s reading and writing speed faster. Confirm your operations and click Start Clone.
- Edit Partitions: You can change the partition size when your target disk is larger than the source disk.
- Sector By Sector Clone: It will clone all sectors, whether they are used or not. Even if the sector is blank or it is a logically bad sector.
This article shows you how to clone HDD to WD SSD with the best Western Digital clone software, including operating system, settings, important files, etc. After cloning, you can boot your computer directly from the cloned disk.
In addition, you can also clone and resize partitions easily using Edit Partition feature in Disk Clone. If you need to clone the OS, you can use the System Clone feature. To enjoy more wonderful functions, go to download AOMEI Backupper and explore it.