Why should you backup external hard drive?
External hard drive is a kind of storage device which is separated from your machine. For some reasons, you may take a use of external hard drive to store data:
● There is not enough space on your internal hard drive to store data on, and you decide to store the files on an external hard drive.
● You want to store data on external hard drive so that you can bring it everywhere. External hard drive is portable, and because of this, you can use it to bring data to everywhere and use it by plugging it into the machine. It is more convenient than bringing a computer or laptop.
However, external hard drive faced a series problems although it has so many sparking points. It is tiny and portable, thus, it is easy to be stolen or lost; it may be used on different computers, with the continually “plug in” and “pull out”, it may be broken in seconds. Once the external hard drive gets in trouble, the data may disappear permanently. Thus, you should backup external hard drive. Well, how to backup external hard drive?
What else, you may want to change the usage of your external hard drive, and you’d like to format it without abandoning the data, backup external hard drive before formatting can keep the data safe. But, how to backup external hard drive before formatting?
How to backup external hard drive?
For storing the backup images, you have many devices to choose. The internal hard drive of your computer, or another external hard drive. The problem is how to backup external hard drive? To solve the problem, here we high recommend you a free backup software AOMEI Backupper, which can help you backup external hard drive with a few steps. Before you do, you need prepare for it:
● The external hard drive you want to backup.
● The storage device. It could be your internal hard drive, or another external hard drive like a USB flash drive or USB hard drive, etc. Ensure it has enough space to store the data on the external hard drive.
● Download the freeware AOMEI Backupper, install it on your computer or laptop.
After those preparing, you can follow the guidance below.
Step1.Connect the external hard drive you want to backup to your computer, if you want to back it up to another external hard drive, connect the storage hard drive to the machine too. Launch the program, click Backup-> Disk Backup.
Step2. You will move to the Disk Backup page. You can edit a task name to distinguish from other backups. Then, you need select the source disk and the destination disk.
Step3. After selecting the source hard drive and the destination hard drive, you can click Start Backup to launch the progress. When it’s done, click Finish to exit.
● If your storage device is small, you can try to compress the data in Backup Options.
● You can do a schedule backup, but the external hard drive should not be extracted while backing up. You can set up in Schedule.
This is about how to backup external hard drive by using AOMEI Backupper. seriously, it should be the best way to backup external hard drive. You can use it free under Windows operating systems including Windows XP/Vista/7/8/10. Hope this could be helpful. Actually, AOMEI Backupper is a powerful backup software. It can do many things for you to keep you data safe, for example, system backup, transfer files from one computer to another, transfer larger files to usb flash drive, and so on. But if you need more features like merge backup images, you need to upgrade it to AOMEI Backupper Professional, which can be a better data protector than Standard edition.