Why should you backup user files?
There are many installed or built in applications that will save files to Windows Users folder by default. Users folder is located in system partition. When your computer have some problems because of virus attack or malware, you may need to format system drive and reinstall Windows. This will result in every on system drive being deleted including Users folder. Therefore, you may need to create a schedule to backup user files in case of losing important files.
Schedule backup user files with built-in tool
In Windows 7 or Windows 10, you can use Backup and Restore, which is not available in Windows 8. In Windows 8, you can use File History. It is recommended to backup to an external hard drive. To open the backup tool, you can type the tool name in the search box and then select it from the results.
To create a scheduled file backup:
1. Open Backup and Restore, and click “Set up backup” on the right.
2. Select the drive where you want to save the Windows backup files and click “Next” to continue.
3. It will bring you the What do you want to back up screen. Select “Let me choose” and click “Next”.
4. Select the Users folder and click “Next”.
5. In the next screen, you can Windows Backup has created a schedule to run the backup daily at 7:00 PM by default. If this scheduled time does not suit you, you can click Change schedule to switch to another time.
6. When the schedule is set, click “Save settings and run backup” to run the backup.
In Windows 8/8.1, you can create system image backup in order to include Users folder in the backup, which will take more disk space. For more flexible way to create automatic backup for user files, you can also use free backup software.
Automatic backup user files with freeware
Compared with Windows built-in backup utility, AOMEI Backupper gives you more options configuring a scheduled backup, and it is easier to use. It allows you to do incremental and differential backups, set a filter to exclude the files unnessary, enable email notification when a backup is triggered, and more.
To create schedule file backup with AOMEI Backupper:
1. Download and run this free backup and restore software.
2. At the Home screen, click “Backup” and select “File Backup”.
3. Click “Add File” or “Add Folder ”to include the user files or folders into the backup.
4. Select a location path to save the image backup.
5. Click “Schedule” to set a specific time of a day, a week, a month to run the backup.
6. Click “Start Backup” and choose a way ("Add the schedule and start backup now" or "Only add the schedule") to run the backup.
Scheduled backup in AOMEI Backupper will be performed as incremental backup by default, and you can change to full or differential backup. Apart from the ability to create a schedule to backup user files, AOMEI Backupper also allows you to create Windows 10 scheduled backup, disk backup, file sync, hard drive clone, and more.