Content of this article:
Necessary to backup Lenovo laptop in Windows 10
As we all know, almost all of the Lenovo laptops come with a factory recovery partition that allows you to restore your laptop to factory settings. Many users have used this feature to restore their system when it is unable to boot.
However, if you upgrade your laptop to Windows 10 from Windows 8.1 or Windows 7, the recovery partition will not be available any more, which has been confirmed by Microsoft. In this case, it is more important to backup Lenovo laptop in Windows 10 than ever before.
In Windows 10, you can use the Windows 10 backup utility - Backup and Restore (Windows 7) or third party backup software - AOMEI Backupper Standard. Also, if the Lenovo OneKey Recovery Windows 10 is preinstalled on your computer, you can still use it. In addition, AOMEI OneKey Recovery can be a great alternative to Lenovo OneKey Recovery and it can be used on all brands of computer.
Way 1: Backup Windows 10 Lenovo laptop with Backup and Restore (Windows 7)
In Windows 10, Microsoft has brought back the “Backup and Restore (Windows 7) “, which has been required by many users. It has the same look and feature as that in Windows 7.
Launch Backup and Restore (Windows 7)
#1: Search backups settings and select it. Then, scroll down to "Looking for an older backup?" section and select "Go to Backup and Restore(Windows 7)".
#2: Search control panel and the select it. Then, choose View by Small icons or Large icons, find Backup and Restore (Windows 7) and open it.
Create a system image step by step
1. After launching Backup and Restore (Windows 7), you will see its main page. Click “Set up backup” to start the backup task.
2. Select your backup drive or click on the “Save on a network” to backup Windows 10 to a network share.
3. Select “Let Windows choose”, it will create a system image backup with the files on your desktop, user folder, and libraries included. Also, you can choose to create a custom backup with “Let me choose” option.
4. By default, it will enable schedule backup to backup system every sundae at 7:00 PM. You can cancel or reschedule it by clicking the “Change schedule” option. If it is good for you, click the “Save settings and run backup” button to perform the first Windows 10 Lenovo laptop backup.
5. Wait patiently untill the task completes. It all depends on the data your have and the speed of both hard drive.
- If you choose to backup Lenovo laptop to the same disk, you will lose your backup when the disk fails. Thus, it's suggested to backup Windows 10 to external hard drive or network drive.
- The built-in backup software only supports backing up disk or volume with NTFS file system.
After the backup ends, you will be asked to create a system repair disc, which can help you troubleshoot your computer when it's unbootable. If you don't have CD/DVD, you can choose to create Windows 10 recovery drive with the Recovery Drive feature.
Way 2: Backup Lenovo laptop in Windows 10 with AOMEI Backupper Standard
To backup Lenovo laptop, you still can use a free backup software - AOMEI Backupper Standard, which is widely used in the worldwise and trusted by millions of users. Compared with built-in backup utility, it's more flexible and feature rich.
Then, let's get started to backup Lenovo laptop with AOMEI Backupper Standard. In the first of place, please download this freeware and install it on your computer. Then, prepare a storage device to save the backup image, you can use external hard drive, USB flash drive, network drive, NAS, etc as long as it can be detected by Windows.
1. Launch this software, click “Backup” and then “System Backup”. You can also use “Disk Backup” if you want to include the entire hard drive in the backup.
2. Choose the prepared backup destination to save the image backup as the system boot related partitions will automatically be included in the backup.
3. Then, you can set backup settings and click "Start Backup" to backup system.
- Options: You can set email notification to get final result timely, comment on this task, enable normal or high compression level, etc.
- Schedule: You can backup system regularly to ensure you always have the lastest backup, which can greatly reduce the losses in the event of a disaster.
- Scheme: You can manage backup disk space by deleting old backup image, so there is enough space to store new backups. Note this feature is available on the professional version at least.
When the backup is done, you can also restore Windows 10 system image to new hard drive with a created a bootable media in the event of system crash. Also, you can directly clone laptop hard drive or system for replacement. It's easier and can greatly reduce the download time when something unexpected happens.
Alternatively, you can create a recovery environment to help you easily perform system backup restore or other backups restore operations when the system crashes. It will add the "AOMEI Backupper Recovery Environment" option to the system boot menu page so that you can select to start the system from the recovery environment to restore images created by AOMEI Backupper.
Way 3: Use Windows 10 Lenovo Onekey Recovery to Backup System
OneKey Recovery is a preinstalled backup and restore software in some Lenovo laptops, which can help you backup system and then restore system image to another hard drive quickly. And there is a hidden partition on their disk by default, it's a factory image that can help you factory reset Lenovo computer.
But you need to know that the factory image does not contain any personal data or installed program, only leave you a clean copy of the operating system with all the required drivers and programs pre-installed. Thus, it's suggested to create a custom image with OneKey Recovery. Now, let's get started.
1. Go to "Start" > "All programs" > "Lenovo" > "Lenovo OneKey Recovery" and open it.
2. In the main page of OneKey Recovery, click "System Backup".
2. Click the drop-down menu and select a backup destination in the Step 1. Also, you type a backup not to distinguish from other task. Then, click "Next".
3. Confirm you want to backup Windows 10 Lenovo laptop and click "Start Backup" in the Step 2.
Then, when something bad happens, you can choose to restore system image to get your computer back in a very short time. If it's not working, you can also use Reset this PC feature to reset Windows 10 and keep my files.
Way 4: Backup Windows 10 laptop with AOMEI OneKey Recovery
The last method is to another one key recovery software AOMEI OneKey Recovery, which allows you to create a factory recovery image easily and then reset your computer to the default settings. It supports not only backing up Lenovo laptop in Windows 10, but also backup other brands of computer (eg: Lenovo, Dell, HP, Acer, etc. ) in all Windows system and server computer.
In addition, it still supports adding boot menu as well as specify fast key (F11 or A) to access AOMEI recovery environment. In this case, you can directly press F11 or A key to during the system startup process without creating a bootable USB or disc first.
Download the demo version to have a try!
1. Launch one key recovery software AOMEI OneKey Recovery, click OneKey System Backup.
2. Tick Backup system to other location and click Next.
- If you want to set compression level or password for the backup image, click Backup Options at the lower location.
- If your system disk has enough space to store your backup image, it's suggested to backup system to AOMEI OneKey recovery partition. Because it's much safer.
3. Click Browse and select external hard drive on the computer. If you don't connect your external disk, please connect it first.
Note: The selected partition in the Advanced option is to store boot files and we call it recovery partition.
4. Confirm all the info and click Start Backup. The process will run into reboot mode. please wait patiently and don't stop it.
The way forward
All in all, it's necessary to backup Lenovo laptop in Windows 10, because you never know what will happen tomorrow and when you will use it. It can be the last resort when something unexpected happens. Thus, if you don't have a backup for your computer, please create one right now!
Also, the system backup software provided in this article, AOMEI Backupper, also has powerful functions such as cloning. It can help you migrate Windows 10 hard drive to a new computer without startup problems. In order to prevent the system from not booting properly due to unexpected conditions, you can create a recovery environment or bootable media in advance.