Google Drive is a cloud storage service produced by Microsoft. It is widely used for storing data online without any extra hard drive and it provides a large space up to 5 TB for free, and you can use all data on the Google Drive by accessing your Google account.
Backup files to Google Drive
Google Drive has been disconnected, and Google launched a new tool called Backup and Sync in 2017, which is used to replace Google Drive and Photos desktop apps for Windows PCs and Macs. And it gives you two methods to backup files with Google Drive, including, directly drag and drop folders into Google Drive folder, sync specific folders without “Copy and Paste”.
If you still haven’t upgraded to the latest version, you need to download from Google Drive page. Then, see detailed steps to backup PC files:
1. Sign in your Google account and you will see extra two tabs, “My Computer” and “Google Drive”.
2. Sync specific folders with Google Drive app. In the “My Computer” page, click "CHOOSE FOLDER" and select the folders you want to sync.
3. Sync Google Drive to local computer. In the “Google Drive” page, tick “Sync everything in My Drive” or “Sync only these folders” under “Sync My Drive to this computer”.
4. Click “Start” to backup files from or to Google Drive. Wait until the process is 100% completed. Then, you can go to drive.google.com and see if all files are synced successfully.
Note: After syncing, you will see a folder named “Google Drive” on the local computer, then you can directly copy your files to your Google Drive folder and it will sync them to drive.google.com as well.
Backup and Sync is not a restore tool
Google Drive is very useful, because it can help you sync local folder with Google Drive effortlessly. However, there is a problem: Google Drive will delete files from all devices if you delete it from Google Drive folder or drive.google.com. So, it’s not safe enough to use Backup and Sync for backup.
To protect your computer files or entire computer, a backup software is better, because it gives you a chance for disaster recovery. Here, I’ll recommend you free backup and restore software for Windows 7/8/10-it’s AOMEI Backupper Standard. This software not only can help you auto backup files to Google Drive, but also offers you extra features for better experience.
Support “Schedule Sync”. This software offers you daily backup, weekly backup and monthly backup, which can help you backup files at a regular basis. And it does not require human intervention.
Email Notification available. With this feature, you don’t need to wait until the backup task is completed. It will tell you if the backup task is completed successfully or any error message pop up during the process.
Fast Synchronization. With this feature checked, it will only sync only changed files or folders in the source. If not, it will compare all files with both source and target folder and sync all the changed files to target folder, even the deleted files or folders in the target folder.
How to backup my computer files to Google Drive automatically?
1. Download the freeware AOMEI Backupper, install and launch it to your computer. Then, it will show you its main interface.
2. To backup files to Google Drive, here you need to click Backup, select File Sync.
3. Click Add Folder and select the folder you want to backup.
Note: If your folder has multiple files inside, you can set auto file extension with Filter Settings (Supported by AOMEI Backupper Professional).
4. Then, click the inverted triangle and “Select a cloud drive” to choose the Google Drive as the destination place.
5. Before clicking Start Sync, you can click “Schedule” or “Options” to set up an automatic file sync for your task. Then, click “Start Sync” to launch the progress, and when the progress done, click Finish to exit.
Besides Google Drive, this software also allows you to backup files to Cloud, like Dropbox, OneDrive, external hard drive, USB drive, etc.
Speaking of file sync, “Real-time sync” is a specific feature you cannot ignore. This feature is used to sync files immediately once the changes has been made. If needed, please upgrade to the advanced version. This feature only available on the paid version.
Now, you can restore files from backup at any time. But file backup can only be used to recover your files when something unexpected happens. What if your system crashes? To avoid this situation, you still need to create a system backup and save it to a safe place, such as, external hard drive.