How Do I Backup Files to Dropbox?
“Hey, I used the Dropbox to store almost all my data. But I have a question recently. I want to backup all my personal image and video files and others in hundreds of different directories on my computer to my dropbox. What should I do? Any suggestion will be appreciated.”
Is Dropbox Good for Backup?
Dropbox is a famous cloud sync tool operated by American company Dropbox, Inc., which is widely used for storing data on cloud, sync files across systems, etc. Here are some features of this tool.
You can take your docs anywhere, because everything you keep in Dropbox is synced automatically to all your devices, including desktop or laptop dropbox folder, tablet and mobile app.
It is easy to share or send large files with anyone with a simple link.
Your data is much safe, even when computer meltdown, because it keeps away from the local computer.
You can share your files with others. When you edit a file in the shared folder, others will get the update automatically.
From the overview of Dropbox, you can clearly get it's not a backup tool at all. Why Dropbox is not a backup solution? There are 3 main reasons in the following.
- In the first place, it's designed to sync files, not to backup entire computer or other devices, and recover files in the event of a disaster.
- Then, it limits the number or size of files to be uploaded. For example, you cannot upload files larger than 50GB to dropbox.com.
- Moreover, if you delete files or folders from either dropbox.com or your computer, it will remove data from both and the deleted files or folders will only kept for 30 days.
How to Backup Your Files to Dropbox?
Sync files to Dropbox for easy access
If you just need to access files flexibly, you can still use Dropbox to sync files. The simplest way is to download and install Dropbox desktop app, then copy and paste files to Dropbox desktop folder, and it will be synced to dropbox.com automatically.
The problem is that it's time-consuming, especially when you send large foles to cloud storage. And it will take a lot of space on your computer.
Backup files to Dropbox for disaster recovery
If you want to add extra layer of your files and folders, you could consider using a free backup software like AOMEI Backupper Standard. With it, you can backup PC file to Dropbox automatically in simple steps. The backed up files will be compressed to an image file that can avoid any unwanted deletion or modification, you cannot make any change before restoring the created image file. Moreover, as long as your Dropbox has enough space, you can back up lots of files or large files unlimitedly. And this way will be introduced in details later.
Step by Step Guide: Backup PC Files to Dropbox with AOMEI Backupper
Now, let's have a closer look at how to backup your PC files to Dropbox. Please download Dropbox and AOMEI Backupper Standard for preparation.
Step 1. Launch free backup software, and click Backup and File Backup in order.
Step 2. Click Add File or Add Folder to select the data to be backed up.
Note: If you don't want to backup some file types in a folder, you can use "Filter Setting" to exclude and only backup files with other file extension.
Step 3. Click the inverted triangle and Select a cloud drive to find Dropbox and choose it as the destination. By default, this software will automatic detect your Dropbox as long as you sign in with your Dropbox account.
Step 4. To automatic backup files to Dropbox, you need to enable schedule settings. The default setting is daily incremental backup to backup only changed files after the first full backup. To change the setting, click Schedule and select manually. Then, click Start Backup to launch the progress.
• If you think daily backup interval is too short, you can change to weekly or monthly, depending on how often you will change your files.
• Incremental backup require all backups to be intact. If any of these backups are damaged, subsequent backups are invalid. To avoid this situation, you could use differential backup (supported by the professional version) as instead.
• To backup files during off-peak hours, check Wake the computer to run scheduled tasks, and it will wake up your computer 2 minutes before schedule backup start.
• This software also backup Dropbox files to external hard drive, cloud storage like Google Drive, OneDrive, and other storage detected by Windows. To make it, just select Dropbox desktop folder or files in this folder.
The first backup time may take a long time, depending on the amount of files and your network speed. Then, you can restore files from backup at any time with Restore option when unexpected things happen.
Over to you
Now, you may already know Dropbox is not a backup solution and how to backup your PC files to Dropbox with AOMEI Backupper. The process can be automatic and does not require human intervention, which can free your hands. Also, this software only backup changed files with daily incremental backup defaultly. Still don't have a backup for your files? Don't hesitate and create one immediately.
Also, you can backup disk, system and partition in case of unexpected failure, such as, system crash, virus attack, disk failure, spilled milk, etc. Meanwile, if you want to protect unlimited PCs with a company, you could try AOMEI Backupper Technician. It covers all the excellent features, including daily differential backup, event-trigger backup, USB plug in, command line backup & restore, dissimilar hardware restore, real-time sync, and so on.