Where is Dropbox Folder Located?
First of all, you may need to make sure where the Dropbox folder is located, then you could backup Dropbox to external hard drive. By default, the Dropbox folder is installed on your main system hard drive, usually on "C:\Users\Username\Dropbox" folder, where Username is your account name. Here are the ways to find Dropbox Folder location:
Way 1: Type %HOMEPATH%\Dropbox
Type %HOMEPATH%\Dropbox into the address bar and hit Enter, it will automatically jump to the root directory of your Dropbox folder if you have installed Dropbox already.
Way 2: Find Path in Dropbox App
1. Tick Dropbox icon on the task bar to open Dropbox;
2. Click Settings icon at the top right corner, then choose Preferences;
3. Go to Sync tab, and you will see the Dropbox Folder location.
Then it’s done, if you would like to change the location, just choose another directory as the destination.
As we all know, Dropbox allows you to move Dropbox folder to any locations on your hard drive or an external hard drive with the Dropbox app.
And it has the limitations that you should be aware of:
Use a supported file system. If you use an exFAT file system, you might receive an error moving Dropbox, unexpected errors occurred. Meanwhile, you should avoid network file systems because Dropbox isn’t compatible with network file systems (NFS).
Dropbox do not support removable media. SD card and any devices considered Removable media by your Windows system are not supported by Dropbox.
Now, let’s see how to backup Dropbox to external hard drive, just refer to the following steps:
Move Dropbox Folder directly via Dropbox app
1. Connect your external hard drive until it is detected by your Windows operating system.
2. Open your Dropbox application.
3. Click Settings icon ->Preferences ->Sync ->Move....
4. Then choose the external hard drive as the new Dropbox folder location to save all the files from Dropbox.
Backup Dropbox to external hard drive with AOMEI Backupper
On the other hand, you have an easier way to backup Dropbox to external hard drive. The free yet powerful file sync software - AOMEI Backupper will help you to copy files from Dropbox to external hard drive easily and safely.
- It can sync files between various locations, such as from local computer to network share/NAS/cloud drives, from one external hard drive/USB drive/SD card to another, etc.
- It runs well in Windows XP/Vista/7/8/10/11.
Download it now and learn how it works as follows:
1. Connect your external hard drive with your computer and make sure it can be detected.
2. Install and run AOMEI Backupper Standard, select Basic Sync under Sync tab.
3. Rename Task Name if needed and click Add Folder to choose Dropbox folder.
4. Choose the external hard drive as the Dropbox folder location. Finally, click Start Sync >> button to backup Dropbox to external hard drive.
Besides, you could backup external hard drive to Dropbox, Google Drive, OneDrive, and other clouds, migrate OS to SSD drive, create differential and incremental backup, automatically backup entire hard drive, partitions, and other files, and so on.
In addition to backing up your external hard drive to a cloud drive provided by a third-party provider, you can also back up your files to AOMEI Cloud. It offers you 1TB of free storage space for 15 days after you sign up for an AOMEI account.
Dropbox on removable media (USB drive, SD card)
If you want to backup Dropbox on removable media, such as USB flash drive, SD card, or others removable media, Dropbox does not support, how to deal with it?
You have ways to realize that move Dropbox on removable media. First of all, you have to mount the removable media on your Windows 7/8/10, follow the steps to mount:
1. Go This PC ->Manage ->Computer Management ->Storage ->Disk Management.
2. Right click on the external USB flash drive/SD card, select Change Drive Letter and Paths.
3. Select Add... ->Mount in the following empty NTFS folder ->Browse to your C: ->New Folder… ->Name the folder "DB Mount", click OK, click OK.
4. Now access your USB flash/thumb drive/SD card through the mounted location (C: DB Mount). Dropbox requires a local drive (the mounted volume).
5. If you have already installed Dropbox, just move Dropbox folder location to the removable media. Otherwise, you have to install the Dropbox to the removable USB flash drive or SD card (C: DB Mount).