My Documents Folder is Missing
Please help, I just found My Documents folder is missing in my username folder, and I haven’t deleted anything, I don’t know why it disappeared. Now, I have to restore the folder to its default location and tell me how, please, thanks a lot.
Generally, My Documents locates in C:\Users\USERNAME\Documents (replace USERNAME with your current user name to find your corresponding location). If you would like to restore My Documents back to normal, just refer to the following 2 solutions:
Solution 1: Easy Way to Get My Documents Folder Back in Windows 7
Sometimes, you can’t see My Documents on desktop may due to you just deleted the My Documents folder shortcut. And you will find My Documents or Documents folder in Explorer.
Now, you could create a shortcut of My Documents to restore it back to desktop. Right click My Documents -> Send To -> Desktop (create shortcut), then you will find My Documents will show up.
Or you could go to Windows Recycle Bin to find My Documents, if you could find it, just right click and choose Restore. It will come back.
Solution2: More Skills to fix My Documents folder missing in Windows 7
If you could not find My Documents in Explorer, you have to follow the detailed instructions listed below to fix it. There are 3 steps to restore My Documents folder back to Windows 7.
Step 1: Recreate My Documents folder in Explorer
If you could find My Documents or Documents folder in Explorer, there is no need to create it; If cannot find it, you have to create a new one.
Step 2: Reset the Registry User Folder Settings
1. Go Start and input regedt32 in search box to run Registry Editor Utility. Locate the path:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders
2. Then the Documents folder corresponding default Name and Data are: Personal, %USERPROFILE%\Documents. Make sure they are correct. If not, change them to the right value.
3. To correct the Name field, right click the Name and choose Rename, input Personal. To change the Data value, double click the Name field, and type %USERPROFILE%\Documents, and click OK.
You could do the same to other sibling folders to fix User folders missing in Windows OS.
Step 3: Fix or Recreate the Documents folder
1. Click on Start, and type cmd, then run Command Prompt as administrator.
2. Input the following command:
attrib +r -s -h %USERPROFILE%\Documents /S /D
After these operations, reboot the Windows 7 computer, then the Documents will back to desktop immediately.
Another effective preventive measure
If you backup or sync the User profile folders before with AOMEI Backupper Standard, you can restore My Documents folder back to desktop and show as the previous state. AOMEI Backupper Standard is a professional backup and restore software for Windows computers, the supported OS includes Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8, 8.1 and 10. To repair this problem, it’s recommended to sync My Documents folder (one way sync). The steps are listed below:
1. First of all, download the freeware. Open this freeware after installing, choose Sync and Basic Sync in turn on the home console.
2. Input a Task Name, then click Add Folder to choose My Documents folder to sync.
3. Choose a destination to save the sync file.
Tip: You are allowed to comment the sync task, and enable email notification with Options. Set a schedule sync task with Schedule option.
4. Click Start Sync to sync My Documents folder in Windows 7.
After that, you could copy My Documents folder to its original location, then My documents folder missing in Windows 7 problem is solved easily. Besides, you could try Recoverit to restore My Documents folder, as well as recovery the deleted files, folders, formatted hard drive, and so on. On the other hand, AOMEI Backupper Standard allows you to compress, check, comment the backup image, file backup, full backup, incremental and differential backup, automatic file/folder sync, etc. Or you can upgrade to Professional edition to enjoy clone OS to SSD or HDD, real time sync, restore to dissimilar hardware computer, etc.
If you want to protect unlimited computers within your company, you can pick AOMEI Backupper Technician. With the inbuilt AOMEI Image Deploy tool, you are also allowed to deploy/restore system image file on server-side computer to multiple client-side computers over network.
Cannot Open my Documents folder in Windows 7/8/10?
Sometimes, you might just cannot open Documents folder in Windows 7/8/10 when you double-click the My Documents icon. These error messages you might receive:
Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permission to access the item.
The share name was not found. Be sure you typed it correctly;
The location you requested is not allowed as a target. Please choose a new location.
This problem is caused when My Documents folder has been redirected to a network share that has become unavailable. There is the solution to work it out:
1. Right click Documents icon and choose Properties.
2. Choose Sharing section, then change the Documents folder location from the network share to a local folder, then click OK.
Try this until the network share is available to fix cannot open folders in Windows 7/8/10.