Backup Windows 7 to external hard drive is important
Windows 7 has ended of life extended since January 14, 2020 and Microsoft does not provide any technical support for users who are using Windows 7. So, if you still want to use it, you need to backup Windows 7 to external hard drive just in case.
Your computer is very easy to be damaged owing to virus attack, bug, hackers or other criminals. Supposing you backup Windows 7 on computer, the backup image may be corrupted by various computer issues and you may be blackmailed if hackers or other criminals make use of computer vulnerabilities to attack your computer. Wannacry is one of the best example. At last, your computer may be damaged or you may lose your data.
What does Windows 7 backup actually backup?
Windows 7 has a built-in backup software called Backup and Restore. It allows you to backup your system, including Windows 7, system settings, installed programs and files saved on system drive. And you can use it restore your computer to an earlier date. In addition, it also allows you to backup data files for newly created users and libraries.
However, backup and restore is not working as usual sometimes. And you may many error messages, such as, “a volume shadow copy service component encountered an unexpected error”, “the system cannot find the file specified”, “windows backup service cannot be started”, “system image restore fails because of efi/bios”, etc.
In sum, this software is not stable and using “Backup and Restore” to backup Windows 7 is a very risk operation. You need a trust and reliable backup software as instead.
Need a trust and reliable backup software
Speaking of trust and reliable backup software, you can use free AOMEI Backupper Standrd. With the help of this software, you can create a system image or other backup images without any obstacle. And it supports restoring image from external hard drive easily and quickly.
Here are useful features you may use:
Schedule Backup: This feature is very important for users who want to continuously protect system and data or keep it up-to-date, especially when Windows 7 end of life extended. You can use daily backup, weekly backup, monthly backup.
Incremental or differential backup: If you think that doing a full backup is a waste of time and disk space, you can choose to do an incremental or differential backup based on previous full backup. It’s free of charge.
Email Notification: If you want to get clear result without waiting until the process 100% end, you can enable email notification. After the backup task completes, this software will tell you the final result via email provided by you.
Compression or splitting: If your system or data is very large, you can choose to compress them with high compression level or split the entire image to multiple smaller image files.
How to backup Windows 7 to external hard drive
If you are using Windows 7 since 2020 and still don’t have a backup, it’s highly recommended that you create a system backup in case of system crash, disk failure, virus attack, etc.
To backup Windows 7-based computer, use the following steps:
1. Preparing for backup tasks. Download and run the free but professional backup software, AOMEI Backupper Standard. Then, connect the external hard drive to your computer and make sure it can be detected.
2. Under the “Backup” tab, select “System Backup”. To backup files, you can click “File Backup” as instead.
By default, AOMEI Backupper will include system related partitions into the backup. That’s because there are some hidden partitions which is required to boot Windows, and users may forget to add. In addition, there are some users who don’t know which partitions are necessary to start a computer.
3. Select the connected external hard drive as destination path. You can click where the arrow point, select “This PC” in the pop up window, find the external hard drive and double-click it, and finally click “Open”.
4. Click “Schedule” and select daily, weekly, or monthly backup. This step is very important for users who want to continuously protect system and data.
5. Click “Start Backup” to run the Windows 7 backup.
• If you set a schedule backup with external hard drive, you need to connect it before the next schedule time. Or the backup will fail.
• If you want to backup system or data at a specific event, you can use “Event-triggers”. This feature has 4 options, including “System startup”, “System shutdown”, “User logon”, “User logoff”.
• If you create a schedule backup, you need to delete old backup images in case of low disk space.
Some features in the above are only available on the paid version. If necessary, please upgrade to AOMEI Backupper Professional or other editions. For details, please go to edition comparison and select the one suitable for you.
Now, you may already backup Windows 7 to external hard drive. If so, you can restore the image saved on external drive at any time. Even if the whole computer is irreparable, you can restore image to a different computer with “Universal Restore”(Supported by AOMEI Backupper Professional) feature.
Written in the end
Windows 7 end of life extended since 2020 and you cannot receive any technical support from Microsoft. So, using a trust and reliable software like AOMEI Backupper to backup Windows 7 to external hard drive is very important. To reduce risks of Windows 7 end of life, Schedule backup is needed.
Apart from the ability to backup Windows 7 to external hard drive, it can be used to clone disk, system and partition as well. Moreover, it has many other assisting tools, such as, check image, explore image, AOMEI Image Deploy and so on.