Why Need to Backup Windows 11 to Synology NAS?
Nowadays, with the increasing awareness of data security, more and more users are aware of the importance of backing up their data. They back up the operating system, folders, or the whole computer to prevent accidental data loss or system failure. Besides backing up to an external hard drive that will not be affected by the computer failure, backing up to a NAS has become a popular backup destination.
NAS stands for Network Attached Storage, which is a hard drive on your network. Data stored on a NAS can be shared by accessing the NAS device. There are several advantages to backing up your Windows 11 to Synology NAS.
1. The NAS is “always online”-you don't need to keep the physical device connected to your PC.
2. Synology NAS arrays also include multiple internal hard drives, which makes them more resilient and allows you to have no immediate data loss even if one of the drives fails.
3. In addition, your own NAS device is placed at home and is not carried around, which prevents data leakage and data theft.
Obviously, backing up Windows 11 to Synology NAS is both safe and reliable, so what exactly should you do? Read on for a more detailed tutorial.
Prepare in Advance for Backup
Before you backup your Windows 11 to Synology NAS, you need to do the following preparations:
1. Make sure your Synology NAS software and hardware are installed, and can work properly.
2. Create a shared folder on the Synology NAS.
3. Make sure your PC and the Synology NAS are in the same network.
Two Ways to Backup Windows 11 to Synology NAS
Two ways on windows 11 backup to network drive can be listed as follows. Will you choose the Windows built-in tool Backup and Restore, or will you choose a third-party reliable tool? Read on to choose the right method for your situation.
Method 1: Backup Windows 11 to Synology NAS via Backup and Restore
Windows 11 has inherited the Backup and Restore tool from Windows 7. Detailed steps are listed below to realize Synology backup in Windows 11.
Step 1. Type “Backup and Restore” in the search box and select it from the result list.
Step 2. Click “Set up backup” option.
Step 3. Choose “Save on network”.
Step 4. Click the Browse and select NAS by adding its network location. Input the Synology server name or IP address, username, and password. Click OK.
Step 5. Select Let Windows choose (recommended) so that Windows will select the files to be backed up for you. Click Next to continue.
Step 6. Click Save settings and run backup to backup Windows 11 to Synology NAS drive.
Method 2: Backup Windows 11 to Synology NAS with AOMEI Backupper
AOMEI Backupper Standard, the best backup software for Synology NAS, can help you perform Synology backup Windows 11 in simple steps. some of its main features can be listed as follows:
1. It provides system backup, disk backup, partition backup, and file/folder backup.
2. It allows you to use incremental or differential backup to optimize backup efficiency compared with Windows’ built-in tool. (differential backup is available in paid edition)
3. It supports Windows PC operating systems such as Windows 11/10/8.1/8/7/Vista/XP.
4. It allows you to automate your backup tasks on a daily, weekly, monthly, etc. basis.
How to backup PC to Synology NAS:
Step 1. Download, install and launch this freeware.
Step 2. Click “Backup” and select “System Backup”. The software will automatically choose the partitions to be backed up.
Step 3. Click the inverted triangle and select Add Share or NAS Devices.
Step 4. On this screen, type the network path or name of your Synology NAS and click the blue button at the right. Input username and password if it is required, then click "OK".
Step 5. Then, choose one folder on the Synology NAS as the destination path to store the backup image.
Step 6. Then, the software will backup your Windows 11 to Synology NAS after clicking “Start Backup”.
After this instruction, Windows 11 backup to Synology NAS is successfully completed.
Options: You can write a note for your task to help you distinguish it from other backup tasks. In unattended operations, a notification can be emailed containing the result of each backup.
Schedule Backup: It allows you to automatically backup your files, and you can set the fixed frequencies such as Daily/Weekly/Monthly.
Backup Scheme: It can help remove old backup images automatically to free up storage space. (available in the Professional edition)
Wrapping Things up
Above are all about the two easiest ways to backup Windows 11 to Synology NAS. Whether it is the Windows built-in tool that comes or the third-party free backup software, you need to choose the most suitable method according to your actual situation.
From my perspective, I personally recommend AOMEI Backupper software because it not only performs system backup, file and partition backup, but also has other comprehensive features such as synchronizing files, Windows 11 sync folders. If you want to explore more features, give it a try now!