An error occurs: backup error 0x807800C5
Backup is the most fundamental disaster recovery technology. To make backups on your PC, you may use the built-in tools in Windows 10: Windows File History or Windows Backup. The first tool backs up important folders in your user folder while the second tool is used to backup the entire system as well as everything else on your hard drive.
However, when creating Windows System Image Backup, some users receive the following error message:
“The backup failed.
There was a failure in preparing the backup image of one of the volumes in the backup set. (0x807800C5)”
Usually additional information is offered in the error message, such as “the specific backup disk cannot be found (0x80780081)”, “the process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process (0x80070020)”. How it comes and how to resolve Windows 10 backup error 0x807800C5 accordingly? Please read on.
How to solve backup error 0x807800C5 in Windows 10 easily?
The key for the backup error 0x807800C5 is that Windows only allows one image backup. If you perform Windows System Image Backup for the second time, there will be a conflict of the identical folders named WindowsImageBackup or a clash of the drive to be backed up. To solve 0x807800C5 in Windows 10, there are two solutions for your reference:
Solution 1: Rename the WindowsImageBackup folder or remove backup files
1. Open This PC and navigate to the exact location of Windows Image Backup.
2. Right click on the WindowsImageBackup folder and rename it WindowsImageBackup.old.
3. Create a Windows backup again to see if it works now. If not, you may delete the files listed below and try again:
the MediaID.bin file
the file with your computer name
the WindowsImageBackup folder
Solution 2: Disable system protection and delete restore points
1. Press Windows Key + S to open the search box. Type “system” and select System from the list.
2. In the pop-up window, click System protection.
3. In the System Properties window, select the drive that has system protection turned on and click Configure.
4. In the next window, select Disable system protection and click OK.
5. You will receive a warning prompting you that existing restore points will be deleted and new restore points will not be created, click Yes to confirm the operation.
6. Repeat Step 3 – Step 5 if there is more than one drive that has system protection turned on.
7. Restart your computer and you shall be able to perform Windows System Image Backup now. Turn on system protection again for specific drives if you need.
Note: Sometimes Windows 10 backup error 0x807800C5 could also be caused by corrupt or missing system files. In this case, you can run sfc/ scannow in Windows 10 to fix the error.
Backup Windows 10 via a powerful freeware
Other than the 0x807800C5 error, you may find Windows 10 backup failed in other situations including Windows backup freezes at 97%, Windows 10 backup 0 bytes, etc. If you are tired of figuring out corresponding solutions to each error, you may turn to the best free backup software—AOMEI Backupper Standard.
There are four types of backup available in AOMEI Backupper: System/Disk/Partition/Files Backup, which can meet your different needs. It also enables you to do block level incremental backup to improve the backup efficiency. All Windows PC operating systems like Windows 10/8.1/8/7/Vista/XP are supported. Learn how to backup Windows 10 via AOMEI Backupper in detail below:
Step 1. Download, install and run AOMEI Backupper. Click on “Backup” and select “System Backup”.
Step 2. The required system partition(s) is (are) selected by default. Choose the destination path to store the backup files. You can save the system image to the local disk, external hard drive or network location.
Step 3. Confirm the operation and click “Start Backup”.
>> Options: you can enable email notification, choose the compression level for the backup image file and select intelligent sector backup or sector-by-sector backup.
>> Schedule: you can set the backup task to run automatically at fixed intervals.
>> Scheme: it will delete old image files automatically to save disk space for you. You need to upgrade to AOMEI Backupper Professional to enjoy this feature.
There are two effective solutions offered in this article to fix Windows 10 backup error 0x807800C5. If you want a more flexible way to make backups in Windows 10, you can pick AOMEI Backupper. Apart from the backup & restore functions, AOMEI Backupper can also be used as Paragon Drive Copy alternative to clone disks or partitions. Why not give it a try right now?