The problem: Windows backup freezes at 97%
There are two built-in backup tools in Windows: Backup and Restore (Windows 7) and File History. The first tool is used to backup the entire system as well as everything else on your hard drive while the second tool backs up important folders in your user folder. Superb as they look like, users are frustrated by the error they encounter—Windows backup stuck at 12%, 57%, 97%. One user shared his experience in the forum:
“When I try to make a system image with the Windows 7 recovery backup tool, it gets to 97% and just sits there (I let it run overnight). I am using a USB external drive and checked it for errors. This happens on a Sony Vaio laptop and a Lenovo Ipad.”
How to resolve Windows 10/8/7 backup stalls at 97% easily?
If you find Windows backup is currently in progress but not completed even after a long time, you can try following methods to fix it:
Method 1: check disk errors
1. Tap the Search button on the taskbar and type “cmd” in the search box. Right click “cmd” and select “Run as administrator”.
2. Type chkdsk D: /f /r /x and press Enter. You can change the drive letter “D:” to others so as to check errors on other drives.
3. Type exit and press Enter to exit Command Prompt.
Method 2: disable the antivirus program or firewall temporarily
Sometimes, antivirus software or firewall can cause Windows 7/8/10 backup freezes. Try to disable them temporarily. Once the backup process is finished, enable them immediately because antivirus software is very important to ensure your computer’s security.
Method 3: disable all the programs running at startup
1. Tap the Search button on the taskbar and type “msconfig”. Select System Configuration from the search results.
2. On the Startup tab of the System Configuration dialog box, click Open Task Manager.
3. On the Startup tab in Task Manager, select each startup item and then click Disable. Close Task Manager.
4. On the Startup tab of the System Configuration dialog box, click OK. Restart your computer to run the backup again.
5. After Windows backup is completed successfully, you can enable all of your startup programs in System Configuration again.
Backup Windows with the best freeware - AOMEI Backupper
When you encounter the problem that Windows 10/8/7 backup hangs at 97%, you may be looking for a program superior to Windows built-in tools. AOMEI Backupper Standard, the best Windows backup software for free, is an ideal choice. Following are its main features:
Learn how to make a system backup via AOMEI Backupper below:
Step 1. Download AOMEI Backupper and follow the wizard to finish installation. It will be installed in a short time.
Step 2. Launch AOMEI Backupper. Click on “Backup” and select “System Backup”.
Step 3. The required system partition(s) is (are) selected by default. Choose the destination path to store the backup files. You can save the system image to the local disk, external hard drive or network location.
Step 4. Confirm the operation and click “Start Backup”.
>> Options: you can enable email notification, choose the compression level for the backup image file and select intelligent sector backup or sector-by-sector backup, etc.
>> Schedule: you can schedule a backup task to run automatically at fixed intervals, such as daily, weekly, and monthly.
>> Scheme: it will delete old image files automatically to save disk space for you. You need to upgrade to AOMEI Backupper Professional or higher editions to enjoy this feature.
To solve the problem that Windows backup freezes at 97%, you can resort to the three solutions offered in this article. If you are looking for a more advanced backup utility, you can choose AOMEI Backupper. It enables you to backup PS4 to external hard drive and backup WD My Cloud to Google Drive.
If you want to protect unlimited PCs and Servers, you may pick AOMEI Backupper Technician Plus. It offers you plenty of powerful features like command line backup/restore/clone and dissimilar hardware restore. Why not give it a try right now?