Cannot backup current system after upgrading to Windows 10
In case of any data loss from virus attack, system crash, incompatible software, and accidental deletion, you need to backup Dell laptop Windows 10. We all know that there is a pre-installed backup application in Windows 7 and Windows 8, Dell Backup and Recovery, on almost all Dell desktops and laptops. You can use it to backup and restore your computer for free.
However, things will be different if you upgrade your computer to Windows 10. You will receive a message from Dell, saying that you need to upgrade to Premium edition if you want to backup and restore your current version of Windows.
As the message states, you can only restore your laptop to previous version of Windows (not Windows 10) unless you purchase the Dell Backup and Recovery Premium. At this point, you may have some questions: What is backup software in Dell laptop Windows 10? How to take backup of Windows 10 in Dell laptop? Continue to see below and I’ll show you the answer.
What is backup software for Dell laptop Windows 10?
If you don’t want to pay for the Dell Backup and Recovery Premium, you can use one of the following backup software. Here are 3 options and all of them are free.
- Backup and Restore (Windows 7): This software is first introduced in Windows 7 and you can use it to backup system or individual files as you like.
- File History: This software is launched in Windows 8 and you can use it to backup files stored in Libraries, Desktop, Favorites, and Contacts folders. And this software adds a new feature called “Add Folders” in Windows 10, which allows you to backup specific folders.
- AOMEI Backupper Standard: Unlike the previous two backup software, this software is a third-party software. However, it still does not cost you a cent. And it has more features than built-in backup tools. For example, it supports all basic backup types, such as system backup, file backup, disk backup, or partition backup. In addition, you can enjoy many extra features, including daily/weekly/monthly backup, incremental backup, Normal or High compression level, and so on.
If you just want backup system or files, you can use “Backup and Restore (Windows 7)” or “File History”. But if you want to enjoy more backup features, you’d better use AOMEI Backupper Standard. It’s much stabler and does not have any obstacles.
How to backup Windows 10 OS in Dell laptop with AOMEI Backupper Standard
Before backing up Dell laptop in Windows 10, you need to do some preparations:
- Prepare an external drive to save backup image. The local drive is very fragile and your backup will be damaged owing to system or disk failure, so you’d better backup Windows 10 system to external hard drive, network folder, cloud drive, etc.
- Download AOMEI Backupper Standard and install it.
To backup Dell laptop in Windows 10, use the following steps:
1. Open this free laptop backup software, then click Backup and System Backup subsequently. If you want to back up the entire hard disk, click Disk Backup instead.
2. Select a location to receive the backup, as this program will include the system partitions in the backup automatically.
3. To create a scheduled backup, click Schedule Backup and select daily, weekly, or monthly. You can also click Options and Backup Scheme to see more additional backup settings. Then click Start Backup to start this backup process.
As you see, backing up Dell laptop in Windows 10 with AOMEI Backupper only takes a few clicks. Additionally, you can still use your laptop while the backup is in process. Besides backup and recovery, AOMEI Backupper is also capable of cloning operating system, hard drive, and partitions.