[Answered] What Happens to eSIM When You Change iPhone?
What happens to eSIM when you change iPhone? Will the eSIM transfer to new iPhone? This guide will tell you all the info you want to know.
- What happens to eSIM when you change iPhone?
- Will my eSIM transfer to new iPhone?
- How to change eSIM from one iPhone to another
- How to transfer contacts from old iPhone to new iPhone
- Final words
What happens to eSIM when you change iPhone?
When changing iPhone, in addition to transferring data, we also need to transfer SIM. In the past, we could simply remove the SIM card from the old iPhone and insert it into the new one to complete the transfer.
However, if you have switched to eSIM, what happens to eSIM when you change iPhone? Do you need to delete eSIM on your old iPhone? Can you activate eSIM directly on your new iPhone? Just keep reading to find all the answers.
Will my eSIM transfer to new iPhone?
The eSIM is the key to getting network connectivity on your device, so you'll definitely want to transfer eSIM to new iPhone. Will my eSIM transfer to new iPhone? The answer is YES! Apple offers 3 ways to help you transfer your eSIM when you change your iPhone.
● Usually, during the iPhone setup process, you will be asked to set up the eSIM. You can simply follow the on-screen prompts to activate the eSIM.
● If you did not transfer your eSIM during the setup process, you can go to Settings app > tap Cellular > choose Add Cellular plan to transfer eSIM.
● In addition, if your current iPhone has installed iOS 16 or later version, you can transfer eSIM to new eSIM via Bluetooth.
Can you activate eSIM directly on your new iPhone?
If you bought your iPhone 14 from a network provider, chances are it already has a new eSIM ready to use. In such a case, you can simply turn on your iPhone and follow the instructions to activate the eSIM.
If you can't access your current iPhone, please contact your carrier to transfer your eSIM.
What happens to the old Apple phone after transferring ESIM to the new Apple phone?
After you transfer eSIM to the new iPhone, the old iPhone will not be able to use the functions related to eSIM. For example, you cannot access the Internet via cellular data.
You want to know what happens to eSIM when you change iPhone probably because you still want to keep using that iPhone. Well, in this case, you can choose to keep the eSIM on the current iPhone and apply for another new eSIM for your new iPhone.
How to change eSIM from one iPhone to another
Now you know what happens to eSIM when you change iPhone. Next, let’s start to see how to change eSIM from one iPhone to another.
Way 1. Transfer eSIM to new iPhone during setup
1. Place two iPhones near each other > Set up your new iPhone until you see the Set Up eSIM screen.
2. Tap Transfer from Another iPhone to continue.
3. Tap Transfer SIM option on your current iPhone.
4. You will see a six-digit verification code on your new iPhone and you should enter that code on your current iPhone.
5. Double-click the side button on your current iPhone to confirm the transfer.
6. Wait for the transfer and tap Continue to complete the iPhone setup process.
Way 2. Transfer eSIM to new iPhone after setup
1. On your new iPhone, go to Settings app > tap Cellular and choose Add Cellular Plan.
2. On your current iPhone, choose the cellular plan and check the messages > click Transfer to confirm.
3. When you see Finish Setting Up Your Carrier’s Cellular Plan on your new iPhone, tap Continue and you will be directed to your carrier's webpage to complete the transfer.
How to transfer contacts from old iPhone to new iPhone
If your contacts are not stored on the eSIM, you can rely on a third-party data transfer tool to transfer contacts to new iPhone. FoneTool for iOS is recommended here. This tool can help you transfer all or selected contacts quickly.
FoneTool connects two devices through the WLAN service but the transfer does not require a Wi-Fi connection and does not consume cellular data. You can go to App Store to install FoneTool and follow the steps below to transfer contacts from old iPhone to new iPhone.
1. Open FoneTool on two iPhones.
2. Go to Connect Device and tap the avatar on either iPhone to establish a connection.
3. Go to File Transfer > Choose the contacts you need > Tap Send. When it’s done, you can go to Contacts app to check your contacts.
FoneTool has one desktop app for Windows users. If your contacts are saved on your computer, you can rely on it to transfer them to your iPhone. It can also help you transfer music, videos and photos. If necessary, you can use the iPhone to iPhone feature to transfer data from old iPhone to new iPhone.
You can click the download button to get FoneTool and explorer more.
Does this “What happens to eSIM when you change iPhone” guide answer your question? Usually, you can choose to transfer eSIM to the new iPhone during or after the setup. After that, your old iPhone will not be able to use the eSIM. If you bought your new iPhone from a network provider, you can simply turn on your iPhone and activate the eSIM directly.