After getting a new iPhone like the newest iPhone 13/12, most users would like to move some old iPhone data to the new one. The messages carry various conversions with family, loved ones, friends, and colleagues. I know those conversions mean a lot to you, so here in this guide, I’ll tell you four methods to transfer messages to new iPhone.
- If you want to transfer all messages wirelessly, turn on the Messages sync in iCloud to make it.
- If you want to transfer all or selected text messages & iMessages, AOMEI MBackupper is the best choice.
- If you'd like to transfer messages as well as other data, you can restore iPhone from iTunes/iCloud backup.
Keep reading to learn more.
Method 1. Transfer Messages to New iPhone via iCloud
Since iOS 11.4, Apple has introduced iCloud syncing for Messages. Once you have turned on the feature, all your messages will be stored in the cloud and synced between all your devices that using the same Apple account. Please note that you only have 5 GB of free storage space.
Before getting started, please make sure your iPhone has connected with a stable Wi-Fi network.
1. Go to Settings > Tap [your name] > iCloud.
2. Scroll down to find Messages > Toggle it on.
3. Do the same as above on the new iPhone and wait for the syncing.
Method 2. Transfer Messages to New iPhone via AOMEI MBackupper (Quick & Simple Way)
iCloud does not support selective transfer. So here comes another tool - AOMEI MBackupper to help you only transfer needed messages.
Two steps to complete the transfer:
① Backup messages on old iPhone
② Restore the backup files to new iPhone
You can preview and select the messages before the transfer. Most of all, there is no need to reset your new iPhone and it will not erase any existing data on the device.
AOMEI MBackupper supports most iPhone models from iPhone 4 to the latest iPhone 13/12/11 and would be perfectly compatible with the latest iOS 15/14. Download, install and launch the tool on your computer and follow the steps below to transfer text messages to new iPhone.
How to Transfer Messages to New iPhone 13/12/11
1. Launch AOMEI MBackupper > Connect your old iPhone to computer via USB cable.
2. Click Custom Backup option > Choose Messages icon to select the iMessages or text messages you want to transfer > Click OK to confirm.
3. Choose the backup path > Click Start Backup button to start backing up your messages.
4. Then connect your new iPhone to computer > Go to the Backup Management screen > Click the Restore option, and then your messages would be transferred to the target iPhone.
Method 3. Transfer Messages to New iPhone with iCloud Backup
Taking the assistance of iCloud is a common way to transfer data to a new iPhone. You can first make a backup for your iPhone and then restore it on your new iPhone. All messages as well as other data like contacts, settings will also be transferred to your new iPhone. However, the restoration will erase all existing contents on your new iPhone.
Also, you should know that it may take a long time to complete the whole process, depending on the quality of your network connection and the size of your files. And the backup may fail if you do not have enough iCloud storage space.
1. Connect your old iPhone and new iPhone to the power source and Wi-Fi network.
2. On your old iPhone, go to Settings > [your name] > iCloud > Turn on iCloud Backup > Tap Back Up Now and wait for the backup to be finished.
3. On your new iPhone: If you have not set it up, you should choose Restore from iCloud Backup to make it. If you have set up your new iPhone, you should go to Settings > General > Reset > Erase All Content and Settings to reset your iPhone > Set up your iPhone again until you see the Apps & Data screen and then choose Restore from iCloud Backup > Select the right backup to restore from.
Method 4. Transfer Text Messages to New iPhone Using iTunes
iTunes is the default tool for iPhone backup and restore. Although it indeed can help you transfer text messages to new iPhone, it’s not a recommended way. Your new iPhone content will be erased firstly and then replaced with all the data as well as settings from your old iPhone. It’s a time-consuming method.
1. Download and install the latest version of iTunes on your computer.
2. Connect your old iPhone to computer and run iTunes.
3. Click the Device tab > Select backup to This Computer > Click Back Up Now. Wait for the backup to be finished.
4. Disconnect the old iPhone and plug in your new iPhone.
5. If you have not set up your new iPhone, select Restore from iTunes Backup at the App & Data screen. If you have set up your iPhone, you can click Restore Backup… at the Summary page on iTunes. Then choose the backup that contains the messages you want to transfer.
That’s all for how to transfer messages to new iPhone 13/12/11. iCloud and iTunes are the traditional ways to sync data to new iPhone, however, there are many annoying limitations. If you prefer the easiest way to make it, then AOMEI MBackupper is your best choice. It can help you only transfer needed iMessages/SMS to new iPhone without any data loss.
Besides messages, it also supports transferring contacts, music, photos, videos, etc. to new iPhone. It can also help you backup important data for your new iPhone. Go for it now and discover more!