The second generation iPhone SE finally comes out after months of rumors. In a nutshell, the new iPhone SE is essentially an iPhone 11 stuffed into the revamped body of an iPhone 8. It’s Apple’s most affordable iPhone, for anyone who is using an Android phone, it’s a good choice to start the journey with the iPhone SE (2020).
If you just get a new iPhone SE to replace the current Android phone, the first thing that may trouble you is how to activate the device so you come to this guide to find the answer. Well, take it easy, here in this guide, I’ll show you how to activate and set up iPhone SE 2020 step by step. In addition, we will also discuss how to transfer data from an old iPhone or Android phone to the iPhone SE 2020.
Part 1. Some Preparations and Attentions Before the Activation
Before setting up iPhone SE 2020, let’s first learn some preparations you should make in advance. These preparations can help you complete the activation more smoothly.
◆ If you want to transfer old iPhone data to new iPhone SE 2020, you can first backup your old iPhone with iCloud or iTunes. Then you can choose to restore from the backup when activating the new iPhone. (If it’s inconvenient for you to make a backup, you can also use Quick Start utility to transfer data to new iPhone SE directly but it requires your old device running iOS 11 and later.)
◆ If you want to transfer data from the Android phone to new iPhone SE, you can download Move to iOS app on Android phone from Google Play.
◆ If you have already set up new iPhone SE but want to start over, you can go to Settings > General > Reset > Erase All Content and Settings to erase the device.
◆ If you get your new iPhone SE directly from a carrier, it will usually come with the SIM card already inserted. Or you may need to insert the SIM card by yourself.
Part 2. How to Set Up iPhone SE 2020
Here are all the steps to activate iPhone SE 2020. The whole process seems kind of complicated at a glance. Well, it’s not that difficult if you follow the guide step by step. Let’s get it on.
1. Turn on your device: press and hold the device’s power button until you see the Apple logo.
2. You will see "Hello" in many languages. Follow the steps to get started.
3. Choose your language, and choose your location (country or region). It affects how the information looks on your iPhone SE, including date, time, contacts, and more.
4. If your old iPhone is running iOS 11 or later, you can here utilize the Quick Start utility to automatically set up iPhone SE. For detailed steps, you can refer to Part 3 to get it. If you do not have another device with iOS 11 or later, please tap Set Up Manually to continue.
5. Tap the Wi-Fi network that you want to use or select a different option. Or if the W-Fi is not available, you can choose tap Use Cellular Connection.
6. Set up your Touch ID. With these features, you can use your fingerprint to unlock your device and make purchases. Tap Continue and follow the instructions to make it or tap Set Up Later in Settings.
7. Set a six-digit passcode to help protect your data. You will need this passcode to use features like Touch ID or Apple Pay. If you prefer four-digit passcode, custom passcode, or no passcode, tap Passcode Options.
8. Then you will come to the App & Data screen. You can choose to restore from iCloud or iTunes backup, transfer directly from iPhone or choose Move Data from Android (Part 3 offers detailed steps). You can also choose Don't Transfer Apps & Data to continue.
9. Enter your Apple ID and password, or tap Forgot password or don't have an Apple ID? to create a new one. Or you can just skip it and make it later in the Settings app.
10. Decide whether to share information with app developers and allow iOS to update automatically.
11. Set up Siri and other services or tap Set Up Later in Settings.
12. Set up Screen Time and more display options or tap Set Up Later in Settings. Screen Time lets you set time limits for daily app use.
13. Tap Get Started to begin using your new iPhone SE!
Part 3. Transfer Data from Old Android Phone/iPhone to iPhone SE 2020
This part tells you the detailed steps to transfer data from an Android phone or iPhone to your new iPhone SE 2020.
◆ Move Data from Android to iPhone SE 2020
1. Set up your iPhone until you see the App & Data screen > Choose Move Data from Android.
2. On your Android phone: Open Move to iOS app > Tap Continue > Read the terms and conditions that appear and tap Agree > Tap Next in the top-right corner of the Find Your Code screen.
3. On your iPhone SE: Tap Continue > Wait for a ten-digit or six-digit code to appear.
4. On your Android phone: Enter the code > Wait for the Transfer Data screen to appear > Choose the content you want to transfer and tap Next.
Note: Please leave both devices alone until the loading bar that appears on your iOS device finishes even you see the transfer complete notice on your Android phone.
5. It may take a while to finish the transfer depending on how much content you're moving. After the loading bar finishes on your iOS device, tap Done on Android phone > Tap Continue on iPhone SE and follow the onscreen steps to complete the setup process.
◆ Transfer Data from iPhone to iPhone SE 2020
There are two methods you can try to transfer data from old iPhone to new iPhone SE: let Quick Start to transfer all iPhone content & settings or try AOMEI MBackupper to transfer selected data.
→ Steps to Transfer Data to New iPhone via Quick Start
Be aware that the Quick Start will occupy both the current iPhone and the iPhone SE which means that they are otherwise unusable.
1. Place your new iPhone near the current iPhone. The Quick Start screen will appear on your current iPhone and offers the option of using your Apple ID to set up your iPhone SE.
2. Make sure that it's the Apple ID that you want to use, then tap Continue. If you don't see the option to continue on your current device, make sure that Bluetooth is turned on.
3. An animation will appear on your new iPhone > Hold your old iPhone over the new iPhone, then center the animation in the viewfinder > Wait for a message that says Finish on New iPhone.
Note: If you can't use your current iPhone camera, tap Authenticate Manually. You will receive an authentication code on your new iPhone, enter that code to the current iPhone.
4. Enter your current iPhone passcode on new iPhone.
5. Follow the instructions to set up Touch ID on your new iPhone SE. When asked, enter your Apple ID password on your new iPhone.
6. Your new device offers the choice of restoring apps, data, and settings from your most recent iCloud backup or updating your current device's backup and then restoring. You can also choose whether to transfer some settings related to location, privacy, Apple Pay, and Siri.
If your old iPhone is running on iOS 12.4 or later, you can choose Transfer from iPhone to begin transferring your data from your previous iPhone to your new iPhone SE without backup.
→ Steps to Transfer Selected Data to iPhone SE 2020
Besides using the Quick Start, there’s one third-party tool named AOMEI MBackupper can help you transfer contacts, messages, photos, songs, and videos selectively. It will not erase any existing data on the new iPhone SE, you can try this tool to transfer data anytime you want.
Backup Old iPhone:
1. Launch AOMEI MBackupper > Connect your current iPhone to computer via USB cable > Tap “Trust” on the home screen to give your computer access to your iPhone.
2. Click Custom Backup and select the data that you want to transfer to iPhone SE 2020.
Note: You can click the icon to preview and choose the items. Here we click Contacts for example: select the contacts you need and click OK to confirm.
3. Choose the storage path > Click Start Backup to start backing up your current iPhone.
Transfer Data to iPhone SE 2020:
1. Unplug your current iPhone and then connect your new iPhone SE to computer > Go to the Backup Management screen by clicking the back button.
2. Choose the backup files and click the Restore option.
3. You can click each icon to choose the items you want to transfer to iPhone SE > If everything is OK, click Start Restore to make it.
AOMEI MBackupper now can help you transfer all data and settings from iPhone to iPhone with one click! If your old iPhone does not support Transfer from iPhone feature, you can let the iPhone to iPhone Transfer tool help you move everything.
That’s all for how to set up iPhone SE (2020) and the way to transfer data from old device to it. If this passage solves your problem, you could share it to help more people. Or if you have any problems, don’t hesitate to leave them in the comment section and we will reply to you as soon as possible.