How to Get Rid of iPhone Backup Failed Message
iPhone Backup Failed notification won't go away? Read this guide to see how to get rid of iPhone Backup Failed message.
Case: Want to Remove iPhone Backup Failed Message
iPhone Backup Failed Notification Won't Go Away
I don't want to backup to iCloud but even I turned off backup. However, the iPhone backup failed notification won't go away. Anyone can tell me how to remove the iPhone backup failed message?
- Question from Apple Community
iCloud is a cloud storage and cloud computing service developed by Apple that offers an easy way to help users share iOS data. You can utilize iCloud to sync data between your iPhone and iPad. Besides, it allows you to make a complete iPhone backup to prevent data loss.
However, what bothers you now is that you keep receiving the pesky notification saying that “iPhone Backup Failed - You do not have enough space in iCloud to back up this iPhone”. It may drive you crazy when this message appears while you are doing something important. Well, take it easy. You will know how to get rid of iPhone Backup Failed messages in this article.
How to Get Rid of iPhone Backup Failed Message
You will receive the “iPhone Backup Failed” message when your iPhone fails to backup to iCloud. To disable iPhone backup failed message, a quick trick is to turn off the iCloud backup function completely. But if you do want iCloud to create automatic backups for you, there are some other methods to help you troubleshoot the issue.
How to Turn off iPhone Backup Failed Notification
To stop iPhone Backup Failed message, a direct solution is to turn off “iCloud Backup” function. In this way, iCloud will not try to create a backup when your iPhone is locked, plugged in, and connected to Wi-Fi.
Turn off iCloud backup: Go to Settings > Tap [your name] > iCloud > iCloud Backup > Turn off iCloud Backup option.
● Note: To ensure data security, it's recommended to backup iPhone to computer. You can refer to the next part to see how to backup all iPhone content or only selected files.
Other Ways to Remove the iPhone Backup Failed Message
Here are some methods you can try to stop iPhone Backup Failed notification.
Solution 1. Free Up iCloud Storage Space
Since the notification says that you do not have enough space in iCloud to back up this iPhone, so you can try to free up iCloud storage space to let the backup run smoothly. To manage iCloud storage space, go to Settings > tap [your name] > iCloud > Manage Storage to make it.
● Delete unwanted data - Select the type of data you want to delete > Tap Delete Documents & Data.
● Delete old backups - Tap Backups > Choose your device > Select the backup you’d like to remove and delete it.
● Adjust the size of your backup - Tap Backups > Choose your device > Toggle off the data that you do not want to include in your iCloud backup to save space.
Solution 2. Sign Out iCloud and Sign Back In
Some users said that this method helped them successfully turn off iPhone backup failed notification. It's worth giving it a try.
Go to Settings > Tap [your name] > Scroll down to find Sign Out and tap it > Enter your Apple ID password to turn off Find My iPhone > Choose the data you want to keep on iPhone > Tap Sign Out to confirm > Wait for a few seconds and sign in again.
Solution 3. Restart Your iPhone
This is a simple trick you can always have a try when you meet any problem. You can first try to restart your iPhone as normal. If it does not work, hard restart your device.
● For iPhone 8 /X/XS/XR/11/12/13/14: Press and release the Volume Up button > Then press and release the Volume Down button > Press and hold the Side button until Apple logo appears.
● For iPhone 7/7 Plus: Press and hold the Power and Volume Down buttons until Apple logo appears.
● For iPhone 6/6s and earlier models: Press and hold the Home and Power buttons until Apple logo appears.
Solution 4. Update iOS
A minor software glitch may cause the iPhone backup failed problem and you can fix it by updating iOS. Apple always releases new iOS to fix various bugs. Maybe the latest iOS fixes this iPhone backup failed notification won't go away problem.
Go to Settings > General > Software Update to have a check. If there is an update available, you can tap Download and Install option to make it.
Solution 5. Buy More iCloud Storage Plan
If you rely on iCloud to store your data, you can get more storage space to get rid of iPhone backup failed message. When you tap the “iPhone Backup Failed” notification, it will offer you three options: Add Storage/Learn More/Not Now. You can tap Add Storage to buy more space.
You can also access the upgrade entrance by going to Settings > Tap [your name] > iCloud > Manage Storage > Buy More Storage.
Bonus Tip: An Easy Way to Backup iPhone Data
To remove iPhone Backup Failed message, you can choose to turn off iCloud backup function or free up iCloud storage space. However, neither of these two solutions is a good choice.
- Although you can turn off iCloud backup to let the notification go away, your iPhone data are not been protected. What if you accidentally get data loss?
- iCloud only provides 5 GB of free storage space. It’s a sure thing that it cannot hold all your iPhone data someday unless you upgrade the storage plan.
So is there another way that can help you backup iPhone data without storage limitation? The answer is Yes. FoneTool, one professional PC-based iPhone backup management tool can help you backup iPhone data with ease. Compared to iCloud, these are its outstanding features.
● You can backup all data or only selected files as per your needs.
● The backup files are accessible so you can view the backup anytime you want.
● When performing the restore, there is no need to reset your iPhone and it will not erase any existing data.
It makes it possible to backup your most important iPhone data the way you like. Below are the steps to backup iPhone contacts to computer.
1. Download, install and launch FoneTool.
2. Connect iPhone to computer.
3. Click Phone Backup > Get to Selective Backup and click Get Started.
4. Choose Contacts > Select the contacts you want to backup.
5. Select a path to save your photos > Click Start Backup.
6. When backup is complete, you can go to the Backup History to check the backup task. Here you can view the backup files, run an incremental backup, or delete the backup.
FoneTool also supportes data transfer. You can let it help you transfer music, videos, photos, etc. between iPhone and computer, between iPhone and another iPhone/iPad.
That’s all about how to get rid of iPhone Backup Failed message. Does this passage solve your problem? If so, you could share it to help more people. Or if you have any other ideas, just leave a comment to share with us.