How to Download Messages from iCloud to iPhone or PC
This guide will show you how to download messages from iCloud, including the methods to download messages from iCloud to iPhone.
One of the benefits of owning Apple devices is that we can sync files and access them wherever and whenever. This is all thanks to iCloud. It not only can help us backup iPhone but also allow us to sync messages, contacts, photos, notes, etc. across devices. In addition, we can rely on iCloud to transfer data from iPhone to iPhone after setup, all we have to do is turn on the sync option.
Of course, in some cases, we can choose to download certain data from iCloud. Here in this guide, I’ll focus on how to download messages from iCloud to iPhone and PC. The exact method depends on how the messages are stored. You may find it troublesome to download messages from iCloud to new iPhone. Don’t worry, I’ll also show you another easy way to transfer messages to new iPhone.
Part 1. How to download messages from iCloud to iPhone
How do you save your messages? Generally, there are two ways to save messages to iCloud. The methods to download text messages from iCloud vary depending on how they are stored.
● If you have turned on Messages in iCloud, then the messages are stored separately in the iCloud server. You can turn on the sync option on new iPhone to download messages from iCloud.
● If your messages are saved in the iCloud backup, that’s to say, you have created an iCloud backup to backup the entire iPhone. In this case, you should restore iCloud backup to iPhone to download all data including your messages.
Way 1. Download messages from iCloud to iPhone via Messages in iCloud
If Messages in iCloud has been enabled on old iPhone, then you can turn on the sync option on new iPhone to download messages from iCloud to new iPhone.
- Sign in to iCloud on your new iPhone with the Apple ID on old iPhone.
- Go to your iCloud account (Settings > your name) > Tap iCloud > Turn on Messages.
Way 2. Download messages from iCloud to iPhone via iCloud backup
If you have a backup that contains the messages, then you can restore that backup to download messages along with other files. However, please note that all the existing data on the device will be erased. It’s a recommended way if you want to set up new iPhone from old iPhone.
- First, you need to erase the iPhone: Go to Settings > Tap General > Tap Transfer or Reset iPhone > Choose Erase All Content and Settings to make it.
- Set up your iPhone until you access the data transfer screen.
- Choose Download from iCloud or Restore from iCloud Backup option to download messages from iCloud to iPhone - along with other data.
Part 2. How to download messages from iCloud to PC
It can be a little bit difficult if you want to download messages from iCloud to PC. In short, Apple does not provide a way for you to download messages from iCloud to PC, no matter how messages are saved to iCloud. Some third-party tools allow you to extract iCloud backup. However, if your messages are saved via Messages in iCloud, then there is nothing third-party software can do.
Well, if you want to download messages from iCloud to PC because you view messages on PC then you may choose to directly transfer messages from iPhone to computer. FoneTool, one easy-to-use iOS data management tool can help you achieve the goal.
With FoneTool, you can view all iPhone messages on PC. If necessary, you can save iPhone messages to computer for further use.
Step 1. Download FoneTool > Connect iPhone to USB via the USB cable.
Step 2. Choose Custom Backup under More Features on the home interface > Select Messages to view all iPhone messages.
If you want to save messages to computer, just choose the messages you need and select a path to save them.
Part 3. An easy way to transfer messages from iPhone to iPhone/computer
If you want to transfer messages from iPhone to another one, there is no need to download messages from iCloud. It’s possible to transfer messages from iPhone to iPhone without iCloud.
With AOMEI MBackuper, one iOS data management tool that we have mentioned before, you can transfer all messages or selected messages from iPhone to another one. What’s more, it supports data transfer between different Apple IDs, which lets you easily share messages with friends and family. You click the download button to get the tool.
Steps to transfer messages from iPhone to iPhone
1. Launch FoneTool > Connect the source iPhone to computer via USB cable.
2. On the FoneTool, choose Selective Backup option > Choose Messages icon to select the iMessages and text messages you want to transfer > Click OK to continue.
3. Choose the backup path > Click Start Backup button to save messages to computer.
4. Then connect the target iPhone to computer > Go to the Backup History screen > Click the Restore option to view the messages and add them to iPhone. It will not erase any existing messages or any other data on the device.
That’s all about how to download messages from iCloud.
- If you want to download messages from iCloud to iPhone, you can turn on Messages in iCloud or restore messages from iCloud backup.
- If you want to download messages from iCloud to PC, you can let a third-party tool help you extract messages from iCloud backup. Or you may choose to directly transfer iPhone messages to PC.
Does this passage solve your problem? If so, you could share this guide to help more people.