Lots of people bought the latest iPad Pro because of its better display and better processor. When you have a brand new iPad, you may want to backup the iPad to an external hard drive to avoid data loss and unexpected situations. When it comes to backing up an iPad, some users may turn to the iCloud service provided by Apple to automatically upload data to cloud-based storage.
For example, when you add new photos or videos to your iPad, the photo will upload to the iCloud storage. But even so, there are still some reasons making users want to backup iPad data to an external disk, such as.
● Saving up iCloud space. iCloud only gives each Apple ID 5GB of free space. if your iCloud storage is full, the service will fail, or you need to buy a storage plan. Moving data that you rarely open to another place is a nice way to save your iCloud space.
● Avoid mistaken deletion. iCloud not only backup iPad data but also syncing data among every Apple device that enables iCloud. If you make a change on a file, the previous edition will be deleted from your iPhone, iPad, iPod.
● Flexibly manage data. Nowadays, lots of storage manufacturers are making large storage devices with smaller sizes than before. Thus, backing up or transfer data to an external drive enables you to carry them wherever you go.
No matter what the reason is, it is necessary to have an external backup of your iPad. Next, refer to the following content, it will guide you on how to backup iPad to external hard drive in 2021 with 3 methods.
How to backup iPad to External Hard Drive in 2021 with 3 methods?
iTunes for Windows can help you to back up iPad on Windows. But iTunes does not allow you to change the backup storage path in its interface. If you want to do so, you can firstly create a virtual link between the system storage. Follow the steps below:
Step 1. Connect iPad and the external drive with a Windows computer. You may need to trust the computer if it is the first time your iPad connected to the PC.
Step 2. Press “Win” + “R” to on Run box, and type “cmd” on it to open Command Prompt. And execute the command:
mklink /J “C:\Users\\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup” “E:\”
Step 3. Now you can install iTunes for Windows. Click the iPhone icon in the top corner.
Step 4. Choose the “Summary” section. And ensure “This computer” is where your backup data will be stored. And click “Backup Now” beneath the “Manually Back Up and Restore”.
Method 2. Backup iPad to external hard drive without iTunes
Apparently, iTunes is not easy for most people, especially for people who are not familiar with Command Prompt. And sometimes, you may encounter an "iTunes backup session failed" issue.
You can also turn to a professional iOS backup software named AOMEI MBackupper. can easily backup your iPad, iPad Pro, iPad Air, iPad mini, as well as iPhone and iPod Touch to an external hard drive, computer, flash drive, or other storage devices. Besides, this tool comes with an intuitive interface simplifying the whole process, you can complete the operation in just a few clicks.
Besides, AOMEI MBackuppper owns some advantages in the following aspect to meet different backup needs.
● Selective backup: you can select and preview your data, like photos, messages, videos, contacts, and other data to backup.
● Full supports on iOS: It is compatible with full iPad models, even the latest iPad Pro 2021 version. It also works well with iPhone and iPod Touch.
● No data loss: Backup file will be not erased not changed if you modify or delete the original data on the iPad.
Next, connect the external hard drive and iPad with a computer via USB cable. and trust the PC. And download this software to see how this tool works:
Step 1. Download, install, and launch AOMEI MBackupper. Choose “Custom Backup” on the main interface.
Step 2. You can choose an icon to see decide what data you want to backup. Select the. Then click “OK”
Step 3. On the lower corner of the interface, change the storage path to the external hard drive. Then click “Start Backup”.
Waiting for the process to get finished. On the backup management, you can browse, delete, restore the backup files.
Method 3. Backup iPad to external hard drive without computer
If you don’t have a computer, you can use a USB-to-lightning adapter to connect your iPad with your external hard drive. It is a great way to move several photos, files, videos on an iPad to an external hard drive. Here we take backing up iPad photos as an example to demonstrate how to perform it.
Step 1. Connect your iPad with your external drive with a USB-to-lightning adapter.
Step 2. Open the “Photos” app or other application that contains your data needed to be transferred. And select photos you want to save on your computer.
Step 3. Tap the share icon, and choose “Save”.
Step 4. Choose the external hard drive, which is usually named “ThumbDrive”.
Then you will have a backup of the pictures on the external hard drive without a computer.
Hope the 3 backup methods can really help you to backup Pad to an external hard drive. You can choose iTunes, AOMEI MBackupper, and an adapter to backup data. By contrast, AOMEI MBackupper is suitable for most situations. It works well whether you are backing up data to another disk, or flash drive, SSD, and so on.
Besides, it even supports backing up iPhone to NAS if you have a bunch of data you don't want to lose on your iOS devices.