What is ASUS system recovery partition?
ASUS system recovery partition (also called ASUS system recovery disk or disc, ASUS recovery drive ) is a hidden partition which contain a recovery image, usually of factory defaults, which could be used to restore your computer to its original condition.
Besides partition, system image file could also be saved in DVD, CD, USB, etc. Therefore, you could also create ASUS system recovery CD/DVD/USB and so on.
How to access ASUS system recovery partition and restore computer
In general, there are 3 ways to access the system recovery partition. The first one is to make use of ASUS recovery key in Windows 10. the second one is to use installation disc. The last one is to use default reset option.
However, some users report that ASUS system recovery partition F9 does not work. For these users, you’d better use the installation disc or default reset option.
Method 1: Access recovery partition with F9
1. Power on your computer, press F9 key immediately when Asus logo shows up, .
2. Select “Windows Setup[EMS Enabled]”, language and click Next.
3. Click Next when the ASUS Preload Wizard screen appears. Then, select “Recover Windows to first partition only”, “Recover Windows to entire HD”, or “Recover Windows to entire HD with 2 partitions” and click Next.
✎Note: the first option will only delete the first partition and it does affect the rest of partitions. The other options will delete all the partitions and the difference is that the last option will create 2 partitions, C: and D: drive.
4. Then, follow the steps in the wizard.
Method 2: Access recovery partition with installation disc
1. Insert your installation disc in the disk tray and restart your computer, then press ESC during booting, select CD/DVD and hit Enter.
2. Click OK twice to start the restoration and follow the on-screen instructions.
All the steps above will be a little difference in different operating system, so you don't need to worry too much. You could search “factory reset ASUS laptop” with the specified operating system, such as, Windows 7/8/10 and follow the steps in the corresponding article.
Method 3: Restore ASUS laptop with default reset option
1. Click Start > Settings >Update & Security> Recovery > Get started, then select Restore factory settings in the Choose an option window.
2. Decide to wipe the drive where Windows is installed or all the drives and click Next.
3. Decide to just remove my files or remove files and clean the drive, then click Next.
4. Click Reset when you see the “Ready to reset this PC” window. After that, you just need to wait until the process is finished.
Alternative way to factory reset ASUS laptop in Windows 7/8/10/11
Besides the above methods, you still could consider using a trust and reliable third-party system recovery software, such as, AOMEI OneKey Recovery. It could help you make a bootable recovery partition and restore your ASUS laptop to factory settings, especially when your computer is unbootable. Besides, compared with branded recovery software, it has more features, such as, backup system to other location, restore OS from other location, UI and logo customization. More so, it could be used on all the branded computer, such as, ASUS, Lenovo, HP, etc.
☞ Download AOMEI OneKey Recovery, install it.
☞ Make a recovery partition with AOMEI OneKey Recovery, because a image backup is the premise to restore ASUS to factory default settings. If you create a recovery partition to new hard drive, you need to tick “Backup system to other location”.
Now, keep reading below to learn the detailed steps.
Step 1. Launch AOMEI OneKey Recovery software and click OneKey System Recovery.
Step 2. Tick the first option: Restore system by using the image file in AOMEI OneKey Recovery partition and click Next.
Step 3. Confirm that you want to restore your computer to factory settings and click Start Restore. Then, wait until the process finishes and restart your computer.
Tip: AOMEI Technology recently launches a new feature, which can achieve the same effect as AOMEI OneKey Recovery, it's "Recovery Environment" feature in AOMEI Backupper. It allows you to factory reset ASUS laptop without booting Windows, and you have more choices, you can choose to restore system image to new hard drive or the entire disk image. Also, you can choose to restore specific files or partitions.
Wrapping things up
With ASUS system recovery partition, you could factory reset ASUS laptop in Windows 7/8/10/11 at any time when something unexpected happens. But some users says, “ASUS recovery key in Windows does not work all the time.”
In this case, you’d better use installation disc, default reset option or an alternative software like AOMEI OneKey Recovery software. The last one is much easier and suitable for all users, both beginner and technician, because it offers different users with different versions, such as, Professional, Technician, Customization.