Solve This Folder Is Empty in Windows 11 Issue Right Now
On this page, we will discuss how to fix this folder is empty in Windows 11 issue. You can try all the options we provide to have a try.
Folder is empty after the update!
I just restarted my computer as a part of a Windows update and a seemingly random folder is now empty. I'm checking other folders but so far have not found any others. It was a folder in my pictures folder that contained subfolders and video and picture files. Documents, music, and video folders seem to be good so far. Is there a way to recover files lost like this?
- Question from Microsoft Community
A similar situation may occur on your computer: this folder is empty in Windows 11. What causes such an error and how to fix it? We will give you a satisfying answer in the following part to recover missing folder.
Why Does "This Folder is Empty" Happen?
The Windows 11 empty folders error can occur due to various reasons beyond the folder actually being empty. Some of the common causes include:
- Partition errors on the hard drive.
- Virus or malware attacks on the hard drive.
- The folder is being moved to another location.
- System settings hide certain files from view.
By understanding these reasons, you can implement the appropriate fixes to overcome the "This folder is empty" error on Windows 11 or 10 and USB drives.
How to Fix "This Folder is Empty" Error?
If you meet this PC folder is empty issue in Windows 11, you can consider trying some feasible ways in the following part according to the possible factors above.
Way 1: Show Hidden Files
If you are experiencing a situation where the Windows folder empty but not, you can try revealing hidden files. Follow these steps to find hidden files in folder.
1. Open the folder showing as empty.
2. Click on "View" and then select "Options."
3. Under "Advanced settings," locate "Hidden files and folders."
4. Select "Show hidden files, folders, and drives," and click "Apply" and then "OK."
Enabling this option will make all hidden files and folders visible, potentially resolving the issue.
Way 2: Use Attrib Command
For the second situation where the error occurs when connecting a USB or external drive, you can use the Attrib command to recover deleted files and folders. Here's how:
1. Type "cmd" into the Windows search bar, right-click on the Command Prompt app, and select "Run as Administrator."
2. If the error appears on a USB flash drive or external hard drive, connect it.
3. Input the command "attrib -h -r -s /s /d G:*.*" in the Command Prompt. G means the drive letter.
Way 3: Use Disk Check Tool
Another option is to utilize the Disk Check tool, which can detect and repair hard drive errors. Follow these steps:
1. Open the This PC page on your computer.
2. Right-click on the disk that saves your folder and choose "Properties."
3. Under the "Tools" tab, click on the "Check" button in the Error Checking section.
4. Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the error detection process.
Way 4. Recover Your Folder with MyRecover
If the previous methods don't resolve the Windows 11 empty folders issue or if you accidentally deleted the folder, you can use data recovery software like MyRecover.
MyRecover is designed for Windows users. In addition to Windows 11, it also supports other versions of Windows operating systems like Windows 10, 8, 7, and Windows Server 2022, 2019, 2016, 2012, etc.
This software specializes in recovering corrupted partitions, deleted, or virus-infected files, and has shown promising results in various situations.
What’s more, there are some unique advantages and shining points in MyRecover.
- Enable to recover more than 200 types of files from your folder, like Office files, images, videos, emails, audio, and so on.
- Recover data with a high recovery speed and success rate.
- Compatible with many file systems including NTFS, FAT32, exFAT, and ReFS in Windows.
- User-friendly with simple graphical user interface and operation steps.
Now, you can get MyRecover on your computer. Then follow the easy guideline to recover your folder from your computer with MyRecover.
1. Open MyRecover. Choose the partition or disk that saves your folder. Click on Start Scan to let MyRecover scan it.
2. MyRecover will perform Quick Scan and Deep Scan processes automatically. You can select the target folder without waiting for the process to finish.
3. Find the folder that you want to recover to its original status. Press the Recover x files button to recover your folder.
✍ 1. Is it possible to recover my files if the folder is empty?
Yes, there are data recovery software options available that can help you recover files from empty folders. Consider using reputable software like MyRecover for better chances of successful recovery.
✍ 2. Why does my folder show as empty in Windows?
There could be several reasons for this, including hidden files, partition errors, virus/malware attacks, or changes in system settings.
✍ 3. What is the Attrib command, and how can it help fix the empty folder error?
The Attrib command is a Windows command used to modify file attributes. By running the appropriate command in the Command Prompt, you can potentially resolve the issue.
✍ 4. Can the Disk Check tool help in resolving the empty folder error?
Yes, the Disk Check tool can detect and repair errors on the hard drive, which may be causing the folder to appear empty. Running the tool can potentially fix the issue.
✍ 5. What if none of the suggested solutions work for my empty folder issue?
If none of the fixes mentioned here resolve the problem, it's recommended to seek assistance from technical support or consult relevant online forums where experts can provide further guidance for your specific situation.
Written In the End
By applying the four methods outlined in this article, you can fix this folder is empty in Windows 11 issue. Start with revealing hidden files, utilize the Attrib command, run the Disk Check tool, and consider data recovery software like MyRecover for folder recovery. Choose the method that fixes the folders shows empty issue.