HDD Partition Recovery Tutorial in Windows 11, 10, 8, 7
To perform HDD partition recovery in Windows 11, 10, 8, 7, get some help from the two Convenient and quick ways.
Can you recover deleted partitions from HDD?
I am using my Windows 10, with 3 partitions working in good condition, till last night when I found my H partition is not available. I just want my partition back! Please help me out!
- Question from Reddit
Did you experience the fear that one day your partition suddenly went inaccessible with all the pictures and files not available anymore?
You checked everything, finding there were no weird ticking sounds in the hard drive, and you did carefully keep your device from liquid and high temperature, but unfortunately your partition was truly gone while working in a pretty clean and safe environment.
What an annoying situation, right? But take it easy! Things can go smooth again if you try some remedies here. But before performing the HDD partition recovery, let’s check out how your partition got lost.
Reasons behind HDD partition loss
Similar to the SSD partition recovery issue, when encountering an HDD partition loss, it can be said with certainty that there are plenty of reasons behind the disappeared partition issue. Let’s see how your partition becomes lost.
Mistaken partition deletion. It is inevitable to make some human errors for everyone to some extent. You may delete your partition in such a hurry or carelessness. Thus you have to restore accidentally deleted partition.
• Drive letter missing or not assigned. When the letter for an HDD is not assigned or missing, the whole volume will not be displayed.
• Unexpected system shutdown. If there is a sudden power outage while your device is busy writing and reading data, you may find your partition is not displayed on the hard drive, and a malfunction may occur.
• Partition table failure. A partition table facilitates your device to work in order, and it is of great importance. If your face a partition table error or a missing partition table, your partition will also be lost, with data that cannot be read or written orderly and properly.
• Bad sectors. Bad sectors are prone to generate if your device is not properly prevented from physical damage. For instance, high temperature, dust, compulsive shutdown, or shaking.
• Virus Intrusion. When attacked by viruses, your partition may get deleted or damaged easily. Viruses are dangerous and indefatigable, they will keep attacking your device further and further unless you do some virus elimination properly.
After knowing how your partition got missing, it is time to move on. To carry out HDD partition recovery, 2 easy and quick methods are offered here for you according to your circumstances.
Methods of HDD partition recovery
Method 1. Recover HDD partition via Disk Management
Turning to the in-built handy tool is a good choice when you encountered a drive letter missing issue. Now steps are shown below, follow them to recover HDD partition.
Step 1. Go to “Control Panel” on your device > choose “System and Security” in the left row.
Step 2. Find “Administrative tools” > “Create and format hard drive partitions”.
Step 3. In the pop-up window, locate the drive that contains your deleted or missing partition > right-click on it > choose “Change Drive Letter and Paths”.
Step 4. Click “Add” on the lower-left part of this pop-up window.
Step 5. Now assign a letter that has never been used before. Make sure the “Assign the following drive letter” has been ticked.
- As an embedded free utility, it is convenient to carry out, and pretty safe as well.
- It only caters to the situation that your drive lost its drive letter.
Method 2. Recover HDD partition via AOMEI Partition Assistant
If the method above does not fits your need and preference, it is recommended to turn to professional software for help.
AOMEI Partition Assistant, a trustworthy convenient tool, can facilitate you to carry out HDD partition recovery with ease.
This app is specially designed for Windows users, helping them scan the hard disk for deleted partitions in a breeze with its useful features.
- Easy. It is easy to operate, requiring no specific expertise or knowledge.
- Efficient. It uses effective scanning methods, detecting deleted partitions in a few minutes.
- Multi-functional. In addition to partition recovery, it also allows users to create/merge/convert/clone partitions, etc.
- Compatible. It supports Windows 11/10/8/7/XP/Vista, etc.
Even if you don’t have any expert knowledge or operating skills, you can follow the steps below to recover HDD quickly and easily.
Step 1. Install and launch the the app > “Wizard” > “Partition Recovery Wizard” > locate the mistakenly deleted partition that you want to restore > click “Next” to move on to the next step.
Step 2. Two modes of search are listed in the list box. We recommend you try “Fast Search” at first to save your time; if it doesn’t work, try “Full Search” then.
Step 3. Then the deleted or missing partition will be shown in the pop-up window, choose the one you want to recover > click “Proceed”.
Step 4. After that, you will have successfully recovered HDD partition. Click “Finish” and now you can check if your partition is back in “My Computer”.
- Concise and user-friendly interface.
- Support Win 11, 10, 8, 7, Vista, XP OS.
- Function well for personal and home use.
- Quickly scan your hard drive to locate your lost partition.
- Some advanced features are paid to use.
If you have the need to make a duplicate of your hard drive to make a backup of your HDD, you can try the Disk Clone feature in AOMEI Partition Assistant.
After all the problems are readily solved, it is advisable for you to prevent your device and HDD from suffering from a similar predicament. Corresponding to the causes of the HDD partition loss, it is a better bet to follow the preventions as follows.
- Try to be more careful to avoid more human errors.
- Do not perform a sudden shutdown and keep your device enough charged all the time.
- Make a backup of your data, your files, your partition, and the partition table.
- Avoid any shake or bump to the device, and keep it from liquid and high temperature.
- Regularly use antivirus software to protect your PC.
In addition, if you are seeking ways to restore data from HDD, MyRecover, a professional Windows data rescue tool will be your firm helper.