Generally, a hard drive is divided into multiple partitions to store different categories of data. Hard drive partition loss occurs often due to various reasons. If the partitions were not formatted or overwritten after loss, partition recovery is a method of restoring the lost hard drive partitions that were accidentally deleted or damaged.
Common causes of hard drive partition loss
Before trying to get back the lost partition, figure out why a partition gets lost could help you to avoid partition loss in the future. Here is the list of common causes of hard drive partition loss.
- Partition table loss or corruption-A partition table is a table maintained on a disk by the operating system that outlines and describes the partitions on that disk. Once the partition table is corrupted or lost, the partition may lose.
- User’s error-Mistakenly deletion when managing hard drive, or incorrect operations in disk clean.
- Repartition hard drive-Improper operations or sudden interruption during partition resizing.
- Operating system or file system corruption-The partition would get lost when the operating system or file system is corrupted.
Besides, bad sectors or tracks on a partition, virus attack, and run CHKDSK after disk defragmentation could also lead to hard drive partition loss.
Timing of hard drive partition recovery matters
Generally, after a hard drive partition is deleted, the operating system removes its assignment for the location on the hard disk and allows that memory portion to be replaced as necessary. But as long as the disk sector stays untouched, the partition can be restored with a professional recovery tool.
The more you use your computer, the more likely it is that new data is added to the sector of the hard drive. So, the more quickly you do the recovery, the more likely your ability to recover lost partitions grows.
Before you start recovering your lost hard drive partition, please keep the following tips in mind to avoid further data loss and ensure good results:
✪ Do not perform any new operation on the hard disk.
✪ Do not rebuild the partition table of the hard drive.
✪ Do not copy any new file to the hard disk.
✪ Do not reformat the hard drive.
Four steps to recover hard drive partitions
A reliable partition recovery software would be a great help to recover lost hard drive partitions. AOMEI Partition Recovery Wizard is exactly it! Created with restoring partitions including FAT, NTFS, Ext2, Ext3, Ext4 in Windows 10/8/7, AOMEI Partition Assistant Professional won a lot of reputation around the world. Follow the four steps to get the lost partition back.
To recover the hard drive partition in Windows 10/8/7, you can download AOMEI Partition Assistant Professional demo first and then follow the steps below.
Step 1.Install and open AOMEI Partition Assistant Professional. Select Partition Recovery Wizard on the left panel and then click the disk you want to restore. Click on “Next” to proceed.
Step 2.Select Fast Search. It is recommended to select this option the first time because it is faster than Full Search. If you can’t recover the lost partition by Fast Search then try Full Search.
Step 3. After the search is done, select the lost partition listed and click on “Proceed”.
Step 4. After you see the congratulations message, click on “Finish” to exit this window. Then go to Windows File Explorer to check whether the lost partition is recovered.
- After recovering the partition, if you did not make any new operations on the partition after it is lost, the data in the lost partition will be recovered as well. However, if you want to recover data from a formatted, corrupted partition, it is advised to turn to professional data recovery software for help.
The article introduced four easy steps to recover hard drive lost partitions by AOMEI Partition Recovery Wizard, which can be your finest alternative to finish hard drive partition recovery software due to its powerful features.
If you want to recover your hard drive partition recovery without losing data, the best method is to regularly backup vita data in another place like an external hard drive. Or using a reliable backup software-AOMEI Backupper to help you to store all your data.