How do I clone a hard drive with multiple partitions?
Hi, I'm looking forward to buy Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250GB. Right now I have Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB, with two partitions, 1 partition is Windows 10 (585GB size, 109GB used) and the other partition is blank (345GB in size). I've heard about Samsung Data Migration and I've read the user guide but it doesn't mention about cloning from target that has 2 partitions to SSD with 1 partition. Is it possible?
- Question from Tomshardware.com
Why do you need to clone multiple partitions?
Most of us have at least two partitions on our computers, one for OS and one for data. Some users even have different partitions for different categories of data, such as one partition for game data.
With more and more data saved on the computer, it works slower and slower. You may feel the urge to speed up your computer, so you consider replacing HDD with SSD. You can imagine how toilsome it is to reinstall OS, create new partitions and copy files manually to the new SSD. Is there a simple way to finish the task? Cloning multiple partitions on the old hard drive can be the answer.
How to do Samsung Data Migration multiple partitions clone
Samsung SSDs are preferred by a lot of computer users when they plan to upgrade their current hard drives. Samsung Data Migration is the tool designed by Samsung to help its users transfer all the data on their old hard drives to Samsung SSDs. Before you start cloning multiple partitions with Samsung cloning software, please make sure:
◆ Your target Samsung SSD is one of those SSDs listed in Samsung Data Migration User Manual.
◆ If there are two or more partitions on the existing hard drive, Samsung Data Migration will clone the C: drive on which an operating system is installed and at most two more partitions. To ensure all the data can be cloned, you may merge partitions in the beginning.
How to clone multiple partitions with Samsung Data Migration?
1. Connect a Samsung SSD to your computer and affirm it is recognized.
2. Run Samsung Data Migration. It will automatically detect the drive with OS installed and select it as the Source Drive.
3. Select the Samsung SSD you just connected as the Target Drive. If you don’t see your SSD, click the Refresh button at the lower-right corner to make it detected.
4. Select additional volumes that you wish to clone besides the C: volume.
- If the Source Drive has two or fewer volumes apart from the C: volume, click on the volumes you wish to clone additionally from the Source Drive pane.
- If the Source Drive has three or more volumes apart from the C: volume, select all the volumes that you wish to clone additionally from the Source Drive combo box and then click the [+] button.
- You are allowed to adjust the capacity of each volume in the Target Drive pane using the slide bar.
5. Click on Start to begin the migration process. Once the cloning process is complete, the computer will shut down automatically within 20 seconds. Replace the old hard drive with the new Samsung SSD, and you will get the system and all your data back instantly.
Despite the convenience Samsung Data Migration brings us, some users are frustrated with Samsung Data Migration cloning failed, Samsung Data Migration access violation and other unexpected errors. Is there a superior tool to Samsung Data Migration in multiple partitions cloning?
An easier way to clone multiple partitions to Samsung SSD
To clone multiple partitions to Samsung SSD, AOMEI Backupper Professional, the best disk cloning software for Windows 11/10/8.1/8/7/Vista/XP, can be the best Samsung Data Migration alternative.
◆ It offers Disk Clone which allows you to clone a whole disk no matter how many partitions it has. You can even clone larger HDD to smaller SSD as long as the SSD is big enough to hold all the data saved on the HDD.
◆ It provides Partition Clone and you are able to clone a specified partition, including a hidden partition.
◆ It has a user-friendly GUI which makes it simple enough to complete the cloning job.
◆ It supports all common SSD brands. You are allowed to clone HDD to PNY SSD, Samsung SSD, and WD SSD, etc.
Keep reading to learn how to clone a hard drive with multiple partitions via AOMEI Backupper in detail:
✌ Note: Backup files on the Samsung SSD before cloning, because it will be overwritten during the cloning process.
Step 1. Connect the Samsung SSD to your computer and make sure it is detected. Download, install and run AOMEI Backupper.
Step 2. Click “Clone” on the left pane and select “Disk Clone”.
Step 3. Select the current hard drive as the source disk and click “Next”.
Step 4. Select the Samsung SSD as the destination disk and click “Next”.
Step 5. Tick “SSD Alignment” to use 4K partition alignment to optimize SSD performance. Confirm the operation and click “Start Clone”.
>> Sector by sector clone: If you tick this option, AOMEI Backupper will clone every sector on your old hard drive whether it is used or not, which will take more time and occupy more storage space.
>> Edit Partitions: you can use it to adjust partition size and convert disk type of the destination disk. It has four options:
- Copy without resizing partitions: It will not resize the partition size.
- Add unused space to all partitions: It will reallocate the unallocated space to each partition of the target disk, appropriate for the disk size.
- Manually adjust partition size: It allows you to extend unallocated space to any partition on the destination disk as you want.
- Convert the destination disk from MBR (GPT) to GPT (MBR): It helps to convert the partition style of the destination disk if it is different from that of the source disk.
Now you know how to achieve Samsung Data Migration multiple partitions clone. If you want to clone more than two partitions at one time or you choose other SSD brands such as PNY SSDs, Crucial SSDs, WD SSDs, etc, you should pick AOMEI Backupper. In addition to cloning multiple partitions, you can find quick workarounds to Samsung Data Migration MBR to GPT and WD Sync not working with AOMEI Backupper. Rush into this tool and discover more!