Why you need portable disk cloning software?
Windows comes with backup utility allowing you to create a system image and restore it to new hard drive, but the steps are quite laborious and various errors could occur during the process.
So when people want to migrate OS and data to another hard drive, like migrating HDD to SSD, they usually use disk cloning software, which is much easier to operate and more likely to succeed.
The problem is, Windows doesn't come with cloning software. So if you want to perform hard drive migration for several computers, you will have to download and install 3rd party cloning software on each PC, not to mention the license key issue.
In such cases, you may need portable disk cloning software to manage and maintain multiple machines more easily.
Best disk clone software for portable use
What we care most about this kind of tool is the cloning capability and the portability. AOMEI Backupper Technician is just a good choice that satisfies on both counts.
The software is compatible with all Windows PCs, and you can clone Disk/Partition/only OS as you like.
It enables you to clone hard drives of different sizes, e.g. clone HDD to smaller SSD, clone SSD to larger SSD.
All data disks and system disks are supported regardless of the partition style (MBR/GPT).
For dynamic disks, you can use System Clone and Partition Clone to copy dynamic volumes.
You can create a portable version of the software to perform backup or clone on any target PC without installing.
Feel free to download the trial of Technician edition here. If you want to use these features on Windows Servers as well, please turn to Technician Plus edition.
How to create a portable version of the disk clone software?
First of all, you need to install the software on a Windows PC, then try following steps to copy it to a removable device. This portable copy could be used on any target PC via the device without installation.
1. Connect the removable device, USB flash drive for example. Then launch the software, select Tools on the left of the main interface and choose Create Portable Version.
2. The connected USB drive will be auto selected as the target directory. You can also click Browse to specify a path.
3. Click Start Creating to create the portable version. When it’s complete, you’ve got a portable hard drive clone software on the USB drive.
Then you can connect the removable device to any target PC and click the .exe file to launch the portable version.
- The portable version cannot run simultaneously with AOMEI Backupper.
- If the portable version fails on a PC where AOMEI Backupper has been installed before, you can use Register.exe in the installation directory to register for the advanced edition correctly.
- By far, it’s not supported to create portable version on network path or CD-ROM drive.
How to migrate hard drive with the disk clone software
To show you how this disk cloning software works, I will give an example to clone hard drive to SSD.
If you are doing it on the PC with AOMEI Backupper installed, just launch the software directly. If you are trying to clone disk on other computers, please insert the removable device, and double-click Backupper.exe in the directory of the portable version. The remaining steps are all the same.
1. Connect the target drive and make sure it can be detected. Click Clone on the main interface of the software and select Disk Clone. If you want to clone only OS, choose System Clone instead.
2. Select the source hard drive and then the target SSD, click Next to continue.
3. For the target SSD, tick SSD Alignment to improve its performance, then Start Clone.
After cloning, the remaining question is how to boot from the cloned SSD. You can either replace the hard drive with target SSD physically, or press the required key during startup to enter BIOS and choose the SSD as the first place in the boot order.
To perform hard drive migration on multiple computers conveniently, you need the help of portable disk cloning software. AOMEI Backupper Techinician is one of the best due to its portable version creation function and powerful cloning features, and that's not all it has to offer.
Besides cloning, this software can also be used as a portable disk imaging software with the backup and restore functions. It supports you to back up operating system automatically, restore system to dissimilar hardware, or even deploy system image to multiple computers. In case a PC fails to boot due to system errors, you could also create a bootable media to start a problematic PC and perform backup and restore in WinPE.