User case: Clone old SSD to new SSD
How Do I Transfer Old SSD to New SSD?
My OS is only 2-month old and it's set up with all of my stuff (there are a lot of apps and configurations setup). What's the best way to migrate everything from my old OCZ 240GB SSD to my new Samsung 1TB SSD? Thanks!
- Question from Reddit.com
Why clone SSD to another SSD?
Replacing HDD (Hard Disk Drive) with SSD (Solid State Drive) to get better performance of operating system is very popular among Windows users. Yet SSD isn’t famous for large capability as HDD is, so it is easier to get low disk space warning after a couple of months or seasons’ usage.
Therefore, it is not rare for Windows users to purchase new SSD, and copy contents of old SSD to the new one. To do this, you might first think of backing up SSD and restoring the image file to the new SSD, which is indeed a viable method. But disk cloning is definitely a more straightforward way, because it can eliminate the recovery process.
Best free SSD cloning software - AOMEI Backupper
Cloning is not the same as copying and pasting. To migrate everything from the old SSD to a new SSD and make it bootable, you need to use effective disk cloning software, because Windows itself lacks this feature. Here I recommend AOMEI Backupper Standard for its simplicity and efficiency:
Download this SSD cloning freeware - AOMEI Backupper Standard to have a try now.
How to clone SSD to new SSD with secure boot
In the first place, connect the new SSD to your computer. The following guide will show you how to use AOMEI Backupper to clone SSD to SSD for free.
1. Install and open AOMEI Backupper Standard. Click Clone, and select Disk Clone.
2. Select the old SSD as the source disk.
3. Select the new SSD as the destination path.
Note: This version only supports cloning system disk from MBR to MBR. To clone MBR to GPT, GPT to MBR, or GPT to GPT, try AOMEI Backupper Professional or higher editions.
👉 MBR and GPT are two different disk types for data storage. To check disk properties in Disk Management, follow the steps below:
- Press Win + R to open the Run window. Then, type diskmgmt.msc and hit OK to open Disk Management.
- Then, right-click the disk you want to clone and select Properties in the expanded menu.
- In the Properties window, select the Volume tab and confirm the partition style. It can be MBR (Master Boot Record) or GPT (GUID Partition Table).
- Similarly, check the partition style of the destination disk. If it is still MBR, you can clone SSD for free.
4. It is strongly recommended to check "SSD Alignment" box since the destination drive is an SSD. It will speed up the rate of reading and writing as well as prolong the service life of SSD. Then, click Start Clone to clone SSD to SSD.
5. To start your PC from the new SSD after cloning, be sure to change the boot sequence in BIOS, or replace old SSD with new SSD manually.
👉 This operation will clone only the used part by default. If you need to clone every sector of the old SSD, make sure to check "Sector by sector clone" box.
👉 If you click "Edit partitions", you will get 4 sub-options as follow. It helps to adjust partition size and convert disk types. Upgrade to make use of the advanced feature.
- Copy without resizing partitions: It will not resize the partition size.
- Add unused space to all partitions: It will reallocate the unallocated space to each partition of the target disk, appropriate for the disk size.
- Manually adjust partition size: It allows you to extend unallocated space to any partition on the destination disk you want.
- Convert the destination disk from MBR to GPT: It helps to convert the partition style of the destination disk if it is different from the source disk.
👉 To get larger space, you could choose to clone smaller SSD to larger SSD. While for best performance, it's suggested to clone Windows 10 to NVMe SSD, because NVMe SSD has much faster transfer speed.
👉 This software is still an M.2 SSD cloner, thus you can use it to migrate Windows 10 to M.2 SSD, clone M.2 SSD to M.2 SSD, etc.
AOMEI Backupper helps you clone SSD to new SSD easily. If your internal hard drive is an HDD instead of SSD, you can also use the software to clone boot drive to SSD. After cloning, just replace the hard drive (or change boot order) to boot your computer from the cloned SSD.
What's more, many helpful features like system backup, disk backup, file sync are built in this software. Feel free to have a try!