Upgrade SATA hard drive to SSD
The SATA controllers and hard drives were first intraduced in 2002, and they have been largely used since. If you ever want better I/O speed, cloning SATA drive to SSD will the best upgrades nowdays. Meanwhile, regular SSDs are also using SATA, so you can easily buy an SSD to replace your SATA drive.
Instead of reinstalling Windows and all programs on new SSD, you'd better use SSD for OS and HDD for storag to avoid the trouble. To make it, SATA to SSD clone software is needed.
Prepare for SATA hard disk clone
Except for SATA to SSD clone software, there are still some things you need to check or
confirm, especially for laptops.
1. Check if your computer has removable back panel. This is the first thing
you need to check, becuase everything is worthless if you cannot get access to hard drive or
open your computer back penel. If you happen to meet this situation, you need to consult
your laptop manual for instructions to get your hard drive or contact with the computer
2. Confirm the right form factor and interface of the replacement SSD. Usually, cloning SATA HDD to SSD can be a little tricky because SSDs are often smaller than traditional hard drive. So, before you start any operation, you need a right size SSD with proper interface. Most laptops have 2.5-inch drive with 7or 9.5mm thickness, and different interfces, such as, SATA, IDE. Just check your laptop manual for sure.
3. Make sure the number of your laptop drive bay. In general, laptops are only with one drive bay, if your computer is like this, please prepare an external SATA-to-USB adaptor, dock or enclosure for connection. If what you have is a desktop, you can connect your SSD via SATA cable and power cable.
4. Ensure the used space of SATA HDD and SSD. Owing to the high performance of SSDs, its price is much expensive than tradition disk, so users may choose to buy a smaller SSD. This may result in disk clone failure. To get you out of the trouble, you are supposed to free up disk space on original disk, or resize with disk management.
5. Keep a copy of system or disk backup. If you have done a in-depth research online, you may know there are many examples of SSD won't boot after clone. To help you out, a backup is necessary
Free SATA to SSD clone software -AOMEI Backupper Standard
There are many free disk cloning tools that can be used to clone SATA hard drive to SSD. Here, AOMEI Backupper Standard is recommended because it’s completely free and of excellent performance and advanced features regarding hard drive cloning.
It can ensure secure boot after cloning SATA drive to SSD. This is the most basic but important element, otherwise the software has no meaning.
It can help you clone large HDD to smaller SSD as long as the used space is smaller than SSD disk. This is only a few free disk clone software can do.
It allows you to clone all sectors whther used or not if you want. "Sector by Sectore" helps you achieve this goal.
For SSDs, there is an extra option for SSD optimization, so your SSD will be of better performance if you use this option.
More advanced features of AOMEI Backupper:
Beside these basic features on Standard, the Professional or other higher versions provide users more useful features. And these features can solve a big problem for most users.
It allows you to clone MBR to GPT directly or verse vice without the need to convert partition style. This is a big headache for many users who bought a new SSD with a different partition style, but AOMEI Backupper overcomes it.
For unallocated space left after clone, you can use "Edit Partitions" to adjust the unallocated space to all partitions or manually.
Additionally, it is so user-friendly that all the operations can be easily managed. Check the next part to see how to clone SATA to SSD in Windows 10/8/7 step by step.
How to clone SATA HDD to SSD along with Windows 10/8/7
Connect your SSD drive to your computer via SATA hard disk connector and initialize it if you are asked, then follow the steps below to perform the hard drive cloning.
1. Download and run free AOMEI Backupper Standard on your computer.
2. At the Home screen, click the “Clone” button and then select “Disk Clone” to clone SATA HDD to SSD.
3. Click on the SATA disk to specify as source disk and in the next screen, specify SSD as destination disk by clicking on it, and then click “Next”.
4. At the Operation Summary screen, check the option “SSD Alignment” since the destination disk is an SSD. Then click “Start Clone” to run the disk clone.
Then you can go back to do other work with this computer while the clone is in process. This software will finish the task in the background. After that, you can switch out SATA hard disk and replace HDD with SSD via a screwdriver. Please remember to lift old hard drive up about 30 or 45 degrees, then pull it out.
• If your computer is not bootable now, you can create a bootable media to load the software to clone SATA disk to SSD without loading Windows.
• If you only need to transfer OS instead of the whole hard drive, you can choose “System Clone”, which is supported by AOMEI Backupper Professional.
• If you want to clone GPT system disk to MBR, and vice versa, you can turn to the Professional version. Because the standard version only supports cloing system disk with the same partition style, such as, clone GPT system disk to GPT, or clone data disk.
• If you happen to encounter cloned SSD won't boot after clone, you can click the previous given link to learn more.
Enable TRIM for SSD maintenance
To make your SSD can be correctly recognized, you are supposed to enable TRIM. Also, the use of TRIM can improve the performance of writing data to SSDs and contribute to longer SSD life.
If you are not sure if the TRIM is enabled, you can use the following command to check. The
command prompt need to be run as administrator.
fsutil behavior query DisableDeleteNotify
If you the screem like above, please copy and past the following command to enable TRIM.
fsutil behavior set DisableDeleteNotify 0
Reading here, you probably know everything related to clone SATA to SSD in Windows 10/8/7. And the process is so simple and easy to understand without the help of AOMEI Backupper Standard. After clone, you can directly use it to boot your computer, then you will be pleasantly surprised by the performance of your computer, such as, faster loading speed, running games more smoothly.
Besides, AOMEI Backupper Standard is still a backup and restore software, which can help you proect your system and data completely free of charge. You can use system backup, disk backup, partition backup and file backup according to your needs. Also, scheduled backup is indispensible on this sofwtare to always backup your files regularly or at specific role, including, daily/weekly/monthly, event-triggers, incremental and differential backup etc.