Clone HDD to Crucial SSD with Step by Step Guide
Use the freeware to clone hard drive (HDD) to crucial SSD in Windows 10/8/7 without paying for the Crucial SSD install kit.
If you want to clone HDD to Crucial SSD, you may think of buying the Crucial SSD install kit, which seems to include everything you need for cloning a hard drive to an SSD. The SSD install kit is available in the Crucial official site, and you can buy it for 24.99 dollars. The kit includes data transfer software, a USB-to-SATA cable, a 3.5-inch adapter bracket, few mounting screws, and standard SATA cable.
However, this may not be good enough. The version of included data transfer software is old, and it is not compatible with GPT formatted hard drives. If you want to install your crucial SSD in a desktop, you still need an SATA power cable besides what is included in the install kit. if you are not willing to pay for this kit, you can also use free SSD cloning software that fully support GPT disks to clone hard drive to crucial SSD.
Free cloning software AOMEI Backupper Standard allows you to clone large hard drive to smaller SSD with ease. What’s more, you can make the clone while Windows is running, you do not need a bootable media to boot your computer in order to use the cloning software, and of course, you can use it to create a bootable USB disk or CD/DVD to perform the clone without loading Windows.
To clone HDD to SSD to Crucial:
1. Connect your Crucial SSD to your desktop with SATA cable or use SATA to USB cable to connect the SSD to your laptop externally.
2. Download and run the free cloning software.
3. After the program loads successfully, click on "Clone" and select “Disk Clone”. If you want to clone only OS you can select “System Clone” after upgrading to AOMEI Backupper Professional.
4. Select the hard drive as source disk and Crucial SSD destination disk successively.
5. Tick "SSD Alignment" to accelerate the reading and writting speed of the destination SSD. Click the "Start Clone" to start the cloning process.
When the clone is in process, you can still use the computer to do your work. When the clone is done, you can boot your computer and change the SSD as first boot device to boot from the new cloned SSD. AOMEI Backupper also provides backup and restore functions, so you can also backup the hard drive and restore to the SSD when you want to upgrade to SSD rather than clone HDD to Crucial SSD.
The advanced version of this software, AOMEI Backupper Professional, also supports clone MBR disk to GPT disk, clone system drive only, or clone hard drive in Command Prompt. Go for it and have a try.