About Crucial SSD install kit
If you want to clone HDD to Crucial SSD, you may think of buying the Crucial SSD install kit, which seems to include everything you need for cloning a hard drive to an SSD. The SSD install kit is available in the Crucial official site, and you can buy it for 24.99 dollars. The kit includes data transfer software, a USB-to-SATA cable, a 3.5-inch adapter bracket, few mounting screws, and standard SATA cable.
However, this may not be good enough. The version of included data transfer software is old, and it is not compatible with GPT formatted hard drives. If you want to install your Crucial SSD in a desktop, you still need a SATA power cable besides what is included in the install kit. If you are not willing to pay for this kit, you can also use free SSD cloning software that fully supports GPT disks to clone hard drive to Crucial SSD.
Best free Crucial SSD clone software for Windows 11/10/8/7
Talking about free cloning software, AOMEI Backupper Standard tops the list. You can benefit a lot from its following features:
- It allows you to clone large hard drive to smaller SSD or clone smaller SSD to larger SSD with ease.
- You can make the clone while Windows is running. No bootable medium is needed to boot your computer in order to use the cloning software.
- If your computer is suffering from boot error, you can use it to create a bootable USB disk or CD/DVD to perform the clone without loading Windows.
How to clone a hard drive to Crucial SSD
To clone HDD to SSD Crucial, there are only a few steps needed.
1. Connect your Crucial SSD to your desktop with SATA cable or use SATA to USB cable to connect the SSD to your laptop externally.
2. Download and run the free cloning software.
3. After the program loads successfully, click on "Clone" and select “Disk Clone”.
4. Select the hard drive as source disk and Crucial SSD as destination disk successively.
5. Tick "SSD Alignment" to accelerate the reading and writing speed of the destination SSD. Click the "Start Clone" to start the cloning process.
When the clone is in process, you can still use the computer to do your work. When the clone is done, you can boot your computer and change the SSD as first boot device to boot from the new cloned SSD.
AOMEI Backupper also provides backup and restore functions, so you can also backup the hard drive and restore to the SSD when you want to upgrade to SSD rather than clone HDD to Crucial SSD. Go for it and have a try.