What is NAS server?
NAS, short for Network Attached Storage, is a hard disk storage that is set up with its own network address rather than being attached to the department computer that is serving applications to a network’s workstation users. The NAS device does not need to be located within the server but can exist in a LAN.
There can be multiple networked NAS devices attached to a local area network (typically an Ethernet network) and assigned an IP address. Users can access the data on the NAS through network. NAS server is dedicated to nothing more than file sharing.
Why you need to backup NAS server?
NAS server provides a very convenient service. Users would like to store data onto NAS server so that others in the same LAN can access the data with its IP address through the network. It is a wonderful way for users who need to share files anytime (especially the business and home users).
However, storing data on NAS server is not a completely safe way. There are so many elements that can cause data loss. Unexpected human operations is one of the common cases. For example, if other users delete your data, you will lose it. But if you have the backup files, you can save the data no matter when the bad things happen.
In order to keep data on the NAS server safe, you’d better backup NAS server. But how to backup a NAS server?
Best free NAS backup software in Windows 11/10/8/7
To backup a NAS drive, here we highly recommend the easiest NAS backup software - AOMEI Backupper Standard, which can backup a NAS server in a few simple steps under the Windows environment.
- It offers four backup types: System/Disk/Partition/File Backup.
- You can backup various storage devices to different locations, such as backup NAS drive to cloud.
- You can also create automatic backups with the Schedule Backup feature.
The next content will teach you how to backup a NAS server with AOMEI Backupper.
How to backup a NAS server step by step
- For Windows PC users, you can download the free edition to backup a NAS server. For Windows Server users, you need to choose AOMEI Backupper Server, which is compatible with Windows Server OSes and Windows PC OSes.
- You need to decide where to store the backup image. AOMEI Backupper enables you to backup NAS to NAS, backup NAS to an external hard drive or a local hard drive, etc.
Here we take an example of backing up NAS storage drive to external hard drive.
Step 1. Connect you external hard drive to your Windows PC and make sure it can be detected by your computer. Then, install and launch AOMEI Backupper. Click Backup -> File Backup.
Step 2. To backup a NAS server, here you need to select your NAS server as the source party. Click Add File/Add Folder, and then click Share/NAS to reach the NAS server.
Step 3. After getting into the Select Share/NAS Device window, click Add Share or NAS Devices, and type the name of your NAS or its IP address (recommended).
Step 4. Then, you will connect to your NAS server. When you click it, all the folders on the NAS server will be listed. Select what you want to backup, and click OK to continue.
Tip: If you only want to backup some special file extensions, you can upgrade the Standard edition to AOMEI Backupper Professional, which allows you to backup files with a certain file extension automatically.
Step 5. Then, select the external hard drive you plugged in before as the destination place, here is E:\. Then, you can click Start Backup to launch the progress.
- Before starting, you can setup an automatic backup using Schedule Backup and choose to do a full backup or incremental/differential backup under Backup Scheme. (Differential backup is a paid feature.)
- The Options provides more functions such as adding comments for the backup, making an email notification, etc.
Backing up a NAS server with AOMEI Backupper is such a simple thing. The concise interface is very easy to handle, and it can save a lot of time for you. It should be the best NAS backup software.
Actually, AOMEI Backupper is not only a NAS backup software. You can also use it to backup external hard drive, system, partition, etc. Once you need, you can use the backup image to restore your computer at any time. AOMEI Backupper is a wonderful software that can secure your data. Why not try it now?