How to Migrate DHCP Server from 2012 to 2022 | Full Guide
If you are looking for a way to migrate DHCP from 2012 to 2022, read this article to get the answer.
User case: How to move DHCP from 2012 to 2022?
In my organization we are planning to migrate DHCP servers from Windows Server 2012 to 2022. In few domains DHCP server configured HA and few domains only one DHCP server. Could you please assist the best way and steps to migrate DHCP servers from 2012 to 2022? Thanks in advance!”
– Microsoft Community
It is a common case that your organization wants to upgrade server hardware or operating systems. During server migration, DHCP migration plays an important role. How to migrate DHCP server easily and securely? Please move on.
How to migrate DHCP from 2012 to 2022 easily
In this part, I’ll show you the detailed steps to migrate DHCP server from 2012 to 2022. You can also follow these steps to migrate DHCP from 2012 to 2019.
Before migration, you need to export DHCP configuration from Server 2012 and install the DHCP role on Server 2022. Follow the instructions below:
★ Export DHCP configuration
1. Log in with an administrator account to Windows Server 2012.
2. Open Powershell and then type in the following command:
Export-DhcpServer -File [string] -Leases -Force -ComputerName [servername.domainname.com] -Verbose
Export-DhcpServer -File C:\DHCPdata.xml -Leases -Force -ComputerName server2012.lab.com -Verbose
3. Copy the file C:\DHCPdata.xml to Windows Server 2022.
★ Install DHCP role
1. On Server 2022, open Server Manager, then choose Add Roles and Features.
2. When the Add Roles and Features wizard opens, click Next.
3. Select Role-based or feature-based installation and click Next.
4. Select a Host to which you'd like to add services and click Next.
5. Select the DHCP Server role for installation. In the pop-up window, click Add Features to add required features to manage DHCP server properly. Click on Next.
6. On the Features console, just click Next.
7. On the DHCP Server console, read brief information about DHCP server and click Next to continue.
8. Click on Install to start the installation process.
9. Once installation completes, click on Complete DHCP configuration link to start the DHCP Post-Install wizard.
10. On the Description screen, click Next.
11. On the Authorization page, use AD credentials if the server is joined to the domain. Choose Skip AD authorization if the DHCP server is standalone and not joined to the domain. Then click Commit.
12. On the Summary page, click Close.
DHCP migration 2012 to 2022
Now you can import DHCP configuration on Server 2022 using the following steps:
1. Start the DHCP service on Server 2022 by navigating to Start > Administrative Tools > Services > DHCP Server.
2. Open Powershell and then type in the following command:
Import-DhcpServer -File [string] -BackupPath [string] -Leases -ScopeOverwrite -Force -ComputerName [servername.domainname.com] -Verbose
Import-DhcpServer -File C:\DHCPdata.xml -BackupPath C:\DHCP\ -Leases -ScopeOverwrite -Force -ComputerName server2022.lab.com -Verbose
3. Restart the DHCP service.
4. Verify your DHCP scope, IP leases, reservations etc and they should match with DHCP Server 2012.
Go back and stop the DHCP services on the old server once you have authorized your new DHCP server. For testing, you can reboot a few workstations and examine the updated lease information to ensure that they are receiving DHCP information from the new server.
You are able to remove the role from the previous server once you have verified that devices are successfully receiving leases from your new DHCP server. Select Manage in the upper right corner of Server Manager, then select Remove Roles and Features. The DHCP role will be removed from the server if you uncheck it.
Recommend: Backup Windows Server with best server backup software
Windows Servers are frequently used to store data, applications, configurations, and settings that are necessary for business operations. By regularly backing up your data, you can protect it from ransomware attacks, accidental deletion, hardware failure, software corruption, and other disasters. Then, how to backup Windows Server? Reliable backup tools are needed.
1. AOMEI Backupper Server
The best server backup software for Windows Server 2022/2019/2016/2012 (R2)/2008 (R2)/2003, AOMEI Backupper Server, provides complete backup solutions:
Don’t hesitate to download AOMEI Backupper and install it on your server system. Then learn how to backup server OS using AOMEI Backupper below.
Step 1. Run this program, click Backup and then choose System Backup.
Step 2. The required system partitions are selected by default. You just need to select a destination path to store the backup image.
Step 3. Review your operation and then click Start Backup to begin creating a system image in Server 2022/2019/2016/2012.
2. AOMEI Cyber Backup
AOMEI Cyber Backup, the best enterprise backup software, provides a convenient and reliable solution for centralized backup management of all Windows operating systems.
- It enables you to create system/disk/partition backup for client PCs and Servers, supporting Windows 11/10/8.1/8/7 and Windows Server 2022/2019/2016/2012 (R2)/2008 (R2).
- You are allowed to save backup images on a local disk, external hard drive, network share or NAS device, etc.
- You can schedule a backup task to run daily/weekly/monthly using the full/incremental/differential backup method.
Don’t hesitate to download it to have a try!
To make backups for client computers, just log in AOMEI Cyber Backup, and add the Windows Server device that you want to backup. Then click Backup Task on the left menu bar and select Backup Task > Create New Task.
You have learned a full guide of how to migrate DHCP server from 2012 to 2022. There are four main parts involved: export DHCP configuration, install DHCP role, import DHCP configuration and clean up. It is recommended that you perform a backup of your server using AOMEI Backupper in order to safeguard the valuable business data on Windows Servers. It has everything you need for backup. In addition, it is a potent cloning program that lets you clone C drive in Server 2019. Simply give it a try!