Windows 11 reset not working
“I don’t understand what is happening. So when I am trying to reset my pc at a certain point, it will say undoing changes then a blue screen would pop up and say There was a problem resetting your PC. No changes were made. I have no clue what is happening. Can someone explain to me how does this happen? Any help would be appreciated.”
- Question from Reddit
“Reset this PC” is an option in Windows 11 that quickly restores Windows to its factory default configuration. It’s faster and more convenient than reinstalling Windows from scratch or using your manufacturer’s recovery partition. If you plan to sell or donate your computer to someone else, it’s suggested to reset the computer to factory settings so that your information or privacy will not be leaked.
As shown in the above case, many users have encountered some reset failed problems when using the "Reset this PC" function. When your Windows 11 reset not working properly, do not be panic. The following 6 methods will help you solve this problem.
How to Fix There Was a Problem Resetting Your PC in Windows 11
Now let’s start to see how to fix “There was a problem resetting your PC. No changes were made.” error in Windows 11. Most of these solutions also work for Windows 10 or Windows 8.
Solution 1. Run Startup Repair
Windows 11 comes equipped with a built-in startup repair tool that is designed to detect and repair common startup problems you may be facing. To run Windows startup repair, follow the steps below:
- Start your PC -> press the power button as soon as the Windows logo appears -> keep pressing the power button to perform a hard shut. Then repeat this step two more times to access the advanced startup environment.
- Choose Advanced options when the recovery screen appears.
- Then click Troubleshoot -> Advanced options.
- In Advanced options tab, select Start-up Repair.
Soon after, Windows will scan and diagnose your PC for any issues that may be preventing it from functioning properly.
Solution 2. Try Command Prompt
To fix Windows 11 reset not working error, Command Prompt is another way to go. There are four groups of commands you can have a try.
First of all, open an elevated command prompt. To do this, type cmd in the search box, right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as administrator.
♦ Using SFC command
SFC can be used to scan and verify protected files (Windows Files). If it finds that a file has been damaged and cannot be verified, it attempts to restore a fresh copy from the below folder in your PC.
- Once in Command Prompt, type in the following command and hit Enter:
☞ sfc /scannow
- Then type exit to close the command prompt and reboot the system, go to see whether you can reset your PC or not.
♦ Restore health with DISM
SFC and DISM are two command-line tools that are more commonly used by the IT techs. DISM can be used to fix what SFC does not. Thus, if the sfc /scannow is not working, you could try DISM.
- Open command prompt with administrator priority.
- Type the following command and hit Enter.
☞ DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
- Reboot your system, and attempt Reset this PC again.
♦ Rename system and software registry
- Type the following commands in the command prompt window and press Enter:
ren system system.001
ren software software.001
- Close the Command Prompt. When you are in Windows Recovery Environment, select Continue to boot your Windows. Check if the “There was a problem resetting your PC” error is fixed.
♦ Disable and enable reagent
- Type the following commands one by one in the command prompt window. Each one finished by pressing Enter key.
- reagentc /disable
- reagentc /enable
- Type “exit” to leave Command Prompt. Restart Windows and try to reset your computer.
Solution 3. Use a system restore point
System Restore in Windows 11 creates restore points so that your computer can be restored to previous working states. In some systems, System Restore is disabled by default. You must enable it before your system will begin creating restore points.
If your system restore point is created, you can simply follow the task below to restore your system to an earlier state.
- Press Windows + R on your keyboard to open the Run box. Then type sysdm.cpl command and press Enter to open.
- Go to the System Protection tab and click System Restore.
- Select the restore point you wish to restore to and click Next.
- Then click Finish to begin the restoration.
Solution 4. Restore from system image backup
A system image is a backup file of your system drive that can restore your operating system in case a system failure occurs. There is not much change in creating a system image in Windows 11, it is similar to the process of creating Windows 10 system image backup.
When Windows 11 reset not working, you can solve this issue by restoring system to the previous version from a backup if you have one. To restore from image backup, follow the steps below.
- Open Start menu and select Settings.
- Navigate to System -> Recovery.
- In the Advanced startup click on Restart now.
- When the PC restarts, select Troubleshoot -> Advanced options -> See more recovery options.
- Select System Image Recovery.
- Then choose your system image and click on Next.
- Follow the instructions on the screen to complete the process.
Solution 5. Recover from a recovery drive
♦ Create recovery drive in Windows 11
- Insert an empty USB Flash drive (16GB recommended) into your computer.
- Click on the Start menu, then search for “Recovery Drive” and select it.
- When the program opens, Windows will automatically begin searching your computer for suitable drive. Once the drive is located, click Next to continue.
- Recover your PC from a drive will remove all your files and apps, you can choose to tick on Back up system files to the recovery drive to back up and then click on Next.
- It will prompt you that the drive will be formatted. Once ready, click Create.
♦ Recover Windows 11 from recovery drive
- Connect your flash drive to the computer.
- If you have an OS installed, restart it to Advanced Startup Options.
- In the Advanced Startup Options, select Use a device.
- Click on the USB drive to boot from it. Finally, follow the on-screen instructions to recover the PC.
Solution 6. Fresh install Windows
If none of the above methods solve problem “resetting PC”, you can try to fresh install Windows 11. To clean install Windows, you can use Windows 10 Media Creation tool to create an installation package on a USB flash drive or a CD.
It’s worth noting that please back up your Windows 11 to USB drive in advance in case you will not lose any important data.
- Insert the installation media, and then restart your computer.
- Press a specified key (usually F2 or F11) when the computer starts up to boot into BIOS and modify the boot order so that your computer will boot from the installation disk.
- When loaded, click Install now, and follow the instruction to complete the process.
Easier Way to Perform Resetting in Windows 11
As you know, resetting your PC takes it back to factory settings. This means all of your software and some of your personal data will be removed. And in the process of resetting the computer, some system problems may occur. Once a system problem occurs, it will cause a lot of trouble and even cause permanent loss of some of your important data.
Therefore, it is necessary to back up your system and data to protect your computer. AOMEI Backupper Standard is a powerful free backup software that can help you create the system image for Windows 11/10/8.1/8/7/XP/Vista. With this system image backup, you can restore Windows to an earlier normal state and therefore solve many system issues.
With it, you can easily create a bootable USB drive to perform system restore in WinPE even when the computer fails to boot. There are many other problems that you cannot predict on your computer. This software provides you with multiple functions to protect your data and system in all aspects, including Backup, Clone, Sync, Restore and other powerful tools.
Next, we will show you how to restore computer to earlier state easily via AOMEI Backupper. Download the freeware to get started:
Step 1. Launch AOMEI Backupper. Click Restore at the left side. Then, click Select Task or Select Image File to find the system image you created before.
Step 2. Select the system backup in the following window and then click Next.
Step 3. Then, select to restore the entire backup or a part and click Next.
Step 4. Then, click Start Restore to execute the progress. When the progress is complete, click Finish to exit.
That’s all for solving “Windows 11 reset not working” problem. Hope one of the above solutions can help you get out of the trouble.
Before resetting your PC, it is necessary to make a full backup to prevent data loss. With the image backup created by AOMEI Backupper, you can restore your computer to its previous normal working state at any time. It can also help you transfer data between laptop and desktop,replace old hard drive with larger SSD, etc. Try it right now!