What can system restore points do for you?
System restore points, the collection of important system files (like drivers, registry keys, system files, installed programs, etc.) on a given date and time, can be used to restore your computer to an early date. Also, you can do system restore in safe mode if your computer is unbootable. It’s mainly used to fix the problems, which causes your computer running slowly or stopping responding.
If your system files are corrupted or damaged, you can restore your computer to the previous date. If the installed programs do not work properly, you still can fix it by system restore points.
System restore points gone in windows 10
Restore point is very useful. It can fix problems on your computer when the system files are damaged or the installed programs do not work as it should. But you may find no system restore points have been created in Windows 10. Here, I will show you reasons and solutions about it.
Why system restore points missing in Windows 10?
1. You upgrade or reinstall the operating system. If you upgrade or reinstall the operating system, the system restore points on the previous version of Windows are not applicable to the existing system. Thus, Windows will delete it automatically.
2. System Restore is disabled by default in Windows 10. In Windows 10, System Restore is disabled by default unless you manually enable it. Only to enable System Restore, you can create a restore point in Windows 10.
3.The max usage to save restore points is low. If the max usage is low, System Restore may clean up the older restore points. So, you should make sure your disk has enough space to save restore points.
4. A restore point cannot be kept over 90 days in Windows 10. In Windows 7, a restore point can be kept for 90 days. However, in Windows 10, it cannot be kept over 90 days.
5. Any kind of USB turbo-boosters like ASRock XFast USB can affect the Volume Shadow Service. If your computer have a SRock XFast USB, you need to remove it before you create a restore points.
6. The page file is defragmented.If you find no system restore points have been created in Windows 10 after you restart your computer, your page file is defragmented. You need to recreate it.
7. System Restore has corrupt files. If the System restore has corrupt files, your restore points will be deleted. You can run sfc/scannow to check if there are corrupt files.
Ways to fix no system restore points in Windows 10
Enable System Restore
Step 1. Type System in the search box, and then select System protection
Step 2. Select a drive and click Configure to enable system protection.
Step 3. In the Restore Settings tab, tick Turn on system protection and click OK to exit this window.
Note: Low Max usage can result in system restore points missing in Windows 10. Please make sure your disk has enough space to save restore points.
Start Volume Shadow Service
Step 1. Press Win + R to summon the Run window
Step 2. Type services.msc to open the Service utility
Step 3. Start the Volume Shadow Service if it not running. You can Find it from the list, and then right-click it and select Start.
Change triggers in SR properties
Step 1. Type Task Scheduler in the search box and select it from the context menu.
Step 2. Expand the Task Scheduler Library, then select Microsoft > Windows > SystemRestore.
Step 3. Click the entry named SR in the top pane.
Step 4. Click the History tab in the bottom pane, and then see system restore tasks, warnings and errors recorded.
Step 5. Double-click SR file, then click Triggers and Edit to change the Triggers.
Step 6. Specify the conditions. You can click Conditions, then uncheck Start the task only if the computer is idle for and Start the task only if the computer is on AC power.
Now, you may successfully fix the system restore points lost problem. And you still need to create a new restore point for your computer.
Can system restore points solve all problems?
As mentioned above, system restore points can be used to restore the important system files. However, you still cannot restore the following things.
1. You cannot restore your personal data. The restore points does not affect any of your documents, pictures, or other personal data. Only the recent installed programs and drivers will be uninstalled.
2. You cannot restore your computer when the hard drive or system crash. The restore points are saved in the corresponding hard drive. Therefore, if the hard drive or system crash, the restore points will also be deleted.
Now, you must get clearly that the System restore points cannot fix all problems on your computer. But if you have a system image backup, you can fix the problem without effort.
To create a full system image backup, you need a backup and restore software. I recommend you free AOMEI Backupper Standard. It can help you create a system image backup without effort. Also, you can restore your computer, even restore with dissimilar hardware if you upgrade to Professional edition.
Step 1. Download AOMEI Backupper Standard, install and launch it.
Step 2. Click System Backup under the Backup tab.
Step 3. Specify the Task Name and select the destination path for your backup. AOMEI Backupper will automatically select the system partition and other partition related to boot your computer. Thus, you do not need to manually choose which partition you need to backup.
Step 4. Set up settings for your backup. You can click Options, Schedule or Scheme, then select whatever you like.
Step 5. Click Start Backup.
If you are troubled by Windows 10 system restore points gone, you can try above solutions to solve it. However, system restore points do not contain everything in the corresponding hard drive. To prevent the serious failure like hard drive failure or system crash, you still need to create a full backup for your system partition or non-system partition.