Cannot create system restore point
System Restore is a built-in feature in Windows 10/8/7 that allows you to restore your system or files to the previous version. It is very crucial to create restore point, which includs system files, Windows Registry, local user profiles, and system settings), against unexpected system issues.
However, creating system restore point might fail with an error “The restore point could not be created for the following reasons”. The specific reason shown may be different from one case to another. Some examples:
The restore point could not be created for the following reasons: access is denied.
The writer experienced a transient error.
The specified object was not found.
How to solve it
As there are so many causes of this problem, you may try one or more of the following solutions to fix the issue cannot create a restore point, based on your situation.
Restart Volume shadow copy service
Make sure you are logged on with an administrator account. Then follow the steps below:
1. Press Windows + R key to open a Run window.
2. Type “services.msc” in that box and press Enter to open Windows Services.
3. Locate a service called Volume Shadow Copy. If it is not running, start it. If it is running, Stop and Restart this service.
4. Change this service Startup type to Automatic.
Run SFC /Scannow to repair Windows system files
Sfc /scannow will inspect all of the important Windows files on your computer, including Windows DLL files. If System File Checker finds an issue with any of these protected files, it will replace it.
Follow these steps for using sfc with the scannow option to repair important Windows files:
1. Type “CMD” in the Windows Search box and press Enter.
2. In the listed results, right click on Command Prompt and Select Run as administrator to open an elevated command prompt.
3. Type the command “sfc /scannow” and then press Enter in the command prompt window.
This might take some time to scan and fix corrupted system files. When it finishes, you can be able to create a system restore point manually or automatically. If you see the results “Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations”, then you should try the next solution to solve restore point could not be created.
Rename system restore file
If system restore was unable to create a restore point still, you can rename the restore file name.
1. Type “%windir%\System32\Tasks\Microsoft\Windows\SystemRestore” (without quotes) in the Run box and press Enter.
2. In that directory, find the SR file and rename it to SR.sav.
Create system image backup
System restore point cannot always restore your computer from issues, especially under filesystem corruption, ransomware infection, hard drive failure. Whether you can you create system restore point or not, you should have a system image backup in case of more serious problems.
To create system backup with ease, you can use AOMEI Backupper Standard, efficient and reliable free backup software. With a system backup, you can restore to a new hard drive without data loss when your current drive fails. With its advanced version, you can even restore backup to another computer with dissimilar hardware when you want to upgrade your computer or crucial components like motherboard.
If you want automatic backup, you can add a schedule to run the system image backup. By default, this program will perform incremental backup to save space and time. You can also change backup settings to always perform full backups or differential backups.
You can refer to the following process to setup a system backup task.
1. Learn more from the download page, or download directly below, install and run AOMEI Backupper directly.
2. Click on the “backup” tab, and select “System Backup” on the next screen.
3. As the program will select the backup source automatically, you just need to select the backup destination. You can backup system to external hard drive, network attached storage (NAS), or internal hard drive.
4.Click Schedule to set up a schedule to run this backup automatically if needed. After that, click "Start Backup" to start the backup.
If you want more options to customize the backup task, you can click “Options” at the bottom before starting the backup. From there, you can encrypt the backup, change image compression level, setup email notification, etc.
After creating the backup, you can also create a bootable media with a USB flash drive, so you can use it to restore your system when your computer is unbootable.
When the restore point could not be created, as a workaround, you can create a system image backup instead. it provides you a more secure layer of protection. Besides System Backup, you can also use AOMEI Backupper to backup files, hard drives, or clone hard drive.