Cannot create system restore point
System Restore is a built-in feature in Windows 10/8/7 that allows you to restore your system or files to the previous version. It is very crucial to create restore point, which includs system files, Windows Registry, local user profiles, and system settings), against unexpected system issues.
However, creating system restore point might fail with an error “The restore point could not be created for the following reasons”. The specific reason shown may be different from one case to another. Some examples:
The restore point could not be created for the following reasons: access is denied.
The writer experienced a transient error.
The specified object was not found.
How to easily solve restore point could not be created?
As there are so many causes of this problem, you may try one or more of the following solutions to fix the issue cannot create a restore point, based on your situation.
Restart Volume shadow copy service
Make sure you are logged on with an administrator account. Then follow the steps below:
1. Press Windows + R key to open a Run window.
2. Type “services.msc” in that box and press Enter to open Windows Services.
3. Locate a service called Volume Shadow Copy. If it is not running, start it. If it is running, Stop and Restart this service.
4. Change this service Startup type to Automatic.
Run SFC /Scannow to repair Windows system files
Sfc /scannow will inspect all of the important Windows files on your computer, including Windows DLL files. If System File Checker finds an issue with any of these protected files, it will replace it.
Follow these steps for using sfc with the scannow option to repair important Windows files:
1. Type “CMD” in the Windows Search box and press Enter.
2. In the listed results, right click on Command Prompt and Select Run as administrator to open an elevated command prompt.
3. Type the command “sfc /scannow” and then press Enter in the command prompt window.
This might take some time to scan and fix corrupted system files. When it finishes, you can be able to create a system restore point manually or automatically. If you see the results “Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations”, then you should try the next solution to solve restore point could not be created.
Rename system restore file
If system restore was unable to create a restore point still, you can rename the restore file name.
1. Type “%windir%\System32\Tasks\Microsoft\Windows\SystemRestore” (without quotes) in the Run box and press Enter.
2. In that directory, find the SR file and rename it to SR.sav.
Advanced way to protect your computer
System restore point cannot always restore your computer from issues, especially under filesystem corruption, ransomware infection, hard drive failure. Whether you can you create system restore point or not, you should have a system image backup in case of more serious problems.
To create system backup with ease, you can use AOMEI Backupper Standard, efficient and reliable free backup software. With a system backup, you can restore to a new hard drive without data loss when your current drive fails. With its advanced version, you can even restore backup to another computer with dissimilar hardware when you want to upgrade your computer or crucial components like motherboard.
If you want automatic backup, you can add a schedule to run the system image backup. By default, this program will perform incremental backup to save space and time. You can also change backup settings to always perform full backups or differential backups.
You can refer to the following process to setup a system backup task.
1. Learn more from the download page, or download directly below, install and run AOMEI Backupper directly.
2. Click on the “backup” tab, and select “System Backup” on the next screen.
3. As the program will select the backup source automatically, you just need to select the backup destination. You can backup system to external hard drive, network attached storage (NAS), or internal hard drive.
4.Click Schedule to set up a schedule to run this backup automatically if needed. After that, click "Start Backup" to start the backup.
- If you want more options to customize the backup task, you can click “Options” at the bottom before starting the backup. From there, you can encrypt the backup, change image compression level, setup email notification, etc.
- After creating the backup, you can also create a bootable media with a USB flash drive, so you can use it to restore your system when your computer is unbootable.
As mentioned earlier, there is a possibility that your computer will not boot as normal. Rather than create a system image and bootable media one by one, you could use a reliable one-key recovery software AOMEI OneKey Recovery to make it.
By using it, it will not only create a system image backup, but also add a boot menu on the computer during the process. And you can use a specific key, F11 or A, to access the boot menu and then restore system using this software without booting into Windows.
Wrapping things up
You may encounter the restore point could not be created error sometimes, in this case, you can choose to fix this error with given solutions or use a free backup software as a workaround. It provides you a more secure layer of protection.
By using it, you can create a system image backup or disk image that includes the operating system, boot files and other data you want to protect. And it gives you more backup options to make this task more flexible, such as, normal or high compression level, daily/weekly/monthly schedule backup, etc.
Besides Backup, you can also use AOMEI Backupper to do more things, such as, sync local folder to OneDrive, clone hard drive to SSD or HDD, clone Seagate HDD to SSHD etc. And it's professional version of AOMEI Backupper has more useful feature, backup and restore system to dissimilar hardware, clone 2TB MBR to 3TB GPT, mirror folder, etc. In sum, it's essential to choose the proper software to protect your data.