How to Transfer Files to WD My Passport from Windows
On this page, you will learn two solutions for how to transfer files to WD My Passport from Windows. Get them now!
Overview of WD My Passport
The WD My Passport is a series of external portable hard drives developed by Western Digital, a well-known manufacturer of storage solutions. Provided with up to 5TB of capacities, it is prepared to store, organize, and share your photos, videos, music, and documents easily.
My Passport drives for Windows come formatted in the NTFS file system; the Mac versions come with HFS+. Plus, they come with a USB-A-to-Micro-B cable and are secure with AES 256-bit hardware encryption to keep your data from slipping into the wrong hands if it ever leaves yours.
If you want to know how to transfer files to WD My Passport from Windows, you have landed in the right place. On this page, we will show you how to use WD Backup and an alternative sync tool to transfer files to WD Passport with full guides.
How to Transfer Files to WD My Passport from Windows
How do I transfer files to My Passport? Follow the instructions below to get two easy solutions.
Way 1. Use WD Backup
WD Backup is a powerful tool to schedule incremental backup for important files from PC to WD My Passport. It also supports users making scheduled backups, such as daily/weekly/monthly backups and incremental backups.
However, one important thing that should be noted is the WD Backup software is no longer available for download, and technical support is no longer being provided now. You can continue to use WD Backup software if you have downloaded this application before. Here are the steps on how to use WD My Passport on Windows 10/11 for PC data backup:
Step 1. Connect the WD My Passport drive to your computer and run the WD Backup software. Click on Back up Files.
Step 2. Select your WD drive as the storage location and click Next.
Step 3. Tap on Edit Schedule to configure a frequency that you wish to transfer files to WD Passport drive from Windows.
Step 4. Then, hit Start Backup to backup Windows files to the WD drive.
Way 2. With Professional Sync Software - AOMEI Backupper Standard🔥
As you can see, WD Backup has many limitations and you may also meet WD Backup not working. If you want a more flexible way for Windows files to My Passport transfer, AOMEI Backupper Standard is a better choice. Its Sync function can help you transfer Windows files to a connected WD drive, as well as move files between WD external hard drive and transfer files from WD My Passport to another computer.
- Schedule Sync: You can perform a sync task at Daily, Weekly, Monthly, Event triggers, or USB plug in mode according to your specific needs.
- Wide support: It supports all types of Western Digital drives, not only WD My Passport, but also WD Elements, WD Green, WD Blue, and so on. Also, you can use it to sync files/folders to NAS, local/external drive, cloud storage, etc.
- User-friendly interface: This software has a clear interface and user-friendly design, making it easy for all users to use.
How to transfer files from PC to WD My Passport on Windows? You can follow the simple guidelines below. (PS: It supports all Windows editions including Windows XP/Vista/7/8/8.1/10/11. For a server user, please try AOMEI Backupper Server)
Step 1. Connect your WD Passport drive to computer and make sure it is detectable.
Step 2. Launch AOMEI Backupper Standard. Select Basic Sync under the Sync tab.
Step 3. Click Add Folder to select the folders to be transferred. If you want to select more folders, click the + icon to add them.
Step 4. Move to the second box, choose Select a local path, and select your connected WD external hard drive as the destination path.
Step 5. Click Schedule Sync to specify a sync frequency if needed. Then, click Start Sync to transfer files to WD My Passport from Windows easily.
- Notes: After you upgrade to Professional or higher version, you can enjoy more features like:
- More sync options available, including Real-Time Sync (sync changed files to WD drive without delay), Mirror Sync (keep the destination directory always the same as the source), and Two-Way Sync(sync files and their changes in the source directory to destination).
- You can also utilize Filter settings to configure file inclusion/exclusion mask and folder exclusion mask when adding source folder(s).
FAQs about Transferring Files to WD My Passport
#1. Why can't I add files to WD Passport?
Here are a lot of reasons that can result in cannot add files to WD Passport, including:
- The WD My Passport is already full or the available space on the drive is not enough for the large file you attempt to add.
- Check if the WD Passport drive has a Windows-compatible file system, like FAT, FAT32, NTFS, and ReFS.
- Check if you only have the read-only permission of the WD drive.
#2. Why won’t my Western Digital external hard drive work?
WD hard drive not working or showing up in Windows is a common issue. It may be caused by wrong connections, operating system errors, file system incompatibility or corruption, disk driver issues, etc.
#3. Can you use WD Passport on multiple computers?
Yes, you can back up as many computers as you want on a single My Passport. But you should take note of the file system compatibility with the WD My Passport drive.
That’s all about how to transfer files to WD My Passport from Windows. Free AOMEI Backupper as a professional sync software is a big help that allows you to perform data auto-sync with ease. Besides, it offers various backup features that can help you to backup system, disk, partition or files automatically. You can also use it to do disk to disk clone free. Don’t hesitate to give it a try!