How do I transfer data from one iPad to another?
I purchased the iPad 10th generation. What is the best way to transfer data from old iPad to my new iPad? Thanks.
- Question from forums.macrumors.com
How do I transfer data from one iPad to another?
Every one or two years, Apple launches new iPad modes. Recently new iPad 10th generation and iPad M2 2022 are updated on the official website. But when you buy a new iPad, you want to transfer photos, videos, music, game data, personal files, and other data from the old iPad to the new one. Here we will guide you to achieve a simple iPad-to-iPad transfer with this tutorial.
How to Transfer data from one iPad to another without/with iCloud
In the following content about iPad-to-iPad transferring, we will show you four ways to transfer data from one iPad to another. Surely, each method has its advantages and disadvantages and we will explain them one by one.
Method 1. Transfer data from iPad to another using iCloud
With iCloud, you can directly and wirelessly back up and restore your iPad. It is better than iTunes for its all-dimensions data backup at any time or anywhere. You can do your iPad to iPad transfer at high speed with a fast connection but it's not without flaws.
Steps to transfer iPad data using iCloud
1. Open your old iPad and switch on WLAN network.
2. Go to Settings > [your name] > iCloud > iCloud Backup. Turn on iCloud Backup, and tap Back Up Now. After the backup is complete, check the last backup time to ensure that your backup was successful.
3. Turn on your new iPad and follow the guide to set up the new iPad. Continue until you see the Apps & Data screen, then tap Restore from iCloud Backup.
4. Sign in to iCloud with your Apple ID and password. When asked, choose a backup. Make sure that it's the correct one by checking the date and size of each. If you purchased iTunes or App Store content using multiple Apple IDs, you're asked to sign in to each. If you can't remember the passwords, just skip this step and wait for the restoration to be finished.
Method 2. Easiest way to transfer data to another iPad with FoneTool
If you want to transfer data from iPad to another without icloud, you can rely on FoneTool. It is an all-in-one iPad/iPhone data manager and transfer tool allowing you to easily transfer data from iPad to another iPad. You can transfer all data or select specific items from old iPad to new iPad without iCloud/iTunes.
FoneTool transfers contacts, messages, photos, videos, game data, and personal files from one iPad to another iPad easily. And it fully supports iPad Air 4/iPad 10/9/8/7, iPad Pro/Air/Mini, as well as other different iOS devices.
Download FoneTool and connect both iPads to computer with USB cables.
Step 1. Run FoneTool, and click "Phone Transfer" and choose the "iPhone to iPhone" feature.
- If you only have one USB cable. You can connect the source iPhone and go to "Phone Backup" > "Full Backup" to create a full iPhone backup on computer. Then connect the target iPhone to the PC, and restore the backup to the new iPhone.
- FoneTool also provides "Selective Backup" features enabling you to selectively transfer photos, videos, contacts, and messages to another iPad.
Step 2. The source and target iPads will be listed here. If you want to transfer some private data like Health, Activity, please encrypt the process.Click "Start Transfer" to begin.
Method 3. Copy data from old iPad to new iPad with QuickStart
In iOS11/iPadOS 11 and later versions, you can utilize the QuiStart to transfer data between iPads/iPhones during the setup process. Follow the steps below to know how to use it.
Step 1. Turn on your new iPad and place it near the old iPad. Then setup new screen will appear on your new iPad. Tap "Continue."
Step 2. Follow the guide to setup your Touch ID to Face ID and other settings. When it asks the way to transfer data, choose directly transfer from iPad. And follow the on-screen prompts to complete the transfer.
Method 4. Transfer data from one iPad to another iPad using iTunes
iTunes is a great music player and it also can help you to transfer from one iPad to iPad.
Steps to sync iPad with iTunes
1. Connect your iPad to your computer with a USB cable and run iTunes.
2. Click the iPad icon and choose This Computer on the right-side panel.
3. Then click Back Up Now and start to export the data on the old iPad to the computer with iTunes.
4. Plug in your target iPad to your computer with a USB cable and run iTunes.
5. Click the Device button and choose Restore Backup on the right-side panel.
6. Choose the right backup version and click Restore to begin the process.
In all, there are 4 different ways about how to transfer data from one iPad to another.
FoneTool is the best solution to transfer data between iPads. It’s safe and easy. The other two iCloud and iTunes have their own flaws that can be used based on your practical issue. In addition, we strongly suggest you wipe iPhone/iPad to protect your personal data if you don't want the old device anymore.
FoneTool is not only suitable for data transfer between iPads, it supports data backup and data transfer for all Apple devices.
FoneTool Runs Perfectly on
- iOS 16/15/14/13/12/11 and former
- iPadOS 16/15/14/13/12/11 and former
- iPhone 14/14 Pro (Max), 13/13 mini/Pro (Max), iPhone 12/12 mini/Pro (Max), iPhone 11/11 Pro (Max)
- iPhone X/XR/XS/XS Max, iPhone 8/8 Plus, iPhone 7/7 Plus, iPhone 6/6s/6s Plus
- iPhone SE (1st, 2nd, 3rd generations)
- iPod touch 1/2/3/4/5/6/7
- All models of iPad Air, iPad mini, iPad Pro and iPad